Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Prop size for 4-107

Pye:
Sounds like a safe plan to me. Please let us know how the prop works out.

Maybe a nice snatch block for your wife?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

P,

FWIW, it's generally considered a bad idea to use bottom paint on your underwater running gear (i.e., prop & shaft.) It may seem a little counter intuitive, but you'd be much better off leaving the metal bare than coating it with anti-fouling paint.

Why? The copper in the paint doesn't play well with the bronze and stainless. Underwater -- particularly saltwater -- you are establishing a small galvanic cell that will leech the zinc out of your bronze and accelerate corrosion of your stainless. Take a little time to read up on galvanic corrosion; it's well worth your time.

There are products specifically designed for props and shafts, but they can be pretty spendy. PropSpeed gets lots of great reviews, but get ready for sticker shock. Do some internet window shopping for underwater metal paint to get a better idea of the alternatives.

Personally, I'd recommend just leaving the stuff bare. If you use the boat often, just running the engine does a pretty good job of keeping the metals relatively clean. If you don't use it often, then giving the prop a coat of anhydrous lanolin before you splash will help some.

________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Old 05-20-2013

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

I've been using a hard bottom paint such as tridad on my max prop for over 20 years with pretty good results. However, it's important to prep the prop properly before application. Besides removing all the prior paint from the prop and getting it nice and shiney again, I etch it prior to putting the underwater metal primer(thin coats) and then two thin coats of the bottom paint. It takes me almost a full day doing this although I'm also taking the prop apart and repacking with grease as part this ordeal. I'm able to keep the boat in the water 2 to 3 years between haul outs and maybe dive once on the boat during that time to remove a few barnicles from the prop. Good Luck in getting the right prop.