SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

I can't heave to

4K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  Shinook 
#1 ·
I've got to be able to find some way to let go of the tiller so I'm hoping to learn to heave to but my boat isn't cooperating.

I've only been able to practice in light wind but twice what happens is once the jib becomes backwinded it sends the boat in a circle. So I start the tack and the boat spins completely around. The other time it laid with the wond directly abeam.

It's the biggest problem I'm having out here is that I have to hold the tiller when sailing at all times. If I have to get sunglasses forgotten below or something I have 10 seconds or I'm gybing. It's weird. My other boats didn't do this. If I let I of the tiller. Round up until the sails luff and it would stay that way, in irons if you will indefinitely. Not this boat. Or at least not in these prevailing conditions which are super light wind and currents. I will say that my one day to have real wind I sailed up wind with the tiller lashed for 20 minutes. So I don't know if it was because it was upwind or the higher winds but I don't really h e the luxury of finding out since most days I'm lucky to see 5 mph.

I've just got to find a way to let the tiller go in these conditions. It's a safety issue really. I have to take down the jib and I'm accidental gybing while I do it. Also long safety lines I have to go to the bathroom an I'm gybing doing that. I'm ping to get killed trying to take a leak off the back with the boat out of control.

See less See more
#4 ·
When we had a tiller we centered it (or put it in whatever position was necessary), threaded a line through a metal eye attached to it and attached each end of the line to a stern cleat.

#6 ·
The best instructions IMO, on heaving to, and most sailing things, can be found in an inexpensive little book called Royce's Sailing Illustrated.
I've used it since the sixties and have it available for all who sail with me read it if they wish to learn about sailing, boats, rigs and simple navigation.

#8 ·
Hmm. I've heard some boats don't like to heave to but, in my extremely limited experience, I haven't run into one yet. I usually drive a Sonar (23'). Back wind the jib, release the main sheet, tiller hard to leeward. Tadaaah. Hove to. I tuck the tiller under the backstay line (which runs down both gunnels to midship for adjustment) and she's happy.

Had to use it recently. VP Biden was in town for the MIT Policeman's funeral. When he was traveling through Ted Williams's Tunnel (under Boston Harbor) they shut the harbor down until his plane took off (runway is at the water's edge). I sailed around a little more outside the harbor but the wind was picking up pretty good. I hove to and all was well. I still moved forward, but pretty slowly. Saved me about 30-45 minutes of running back and forth across the harbor opening as more boats gathered to wait while the wind picked up.

#9 ·
For single handing, there is nothing like an autopilot. One for a tiller-steered boat is less than $500.

If you can trim the sails well and tie the tiller off, this should give you enough time to do most tasks. But every boat is different.

#11 ·
I wouldn't expect to be able to let go of the tiller when heaving to. You will probably have to lash the tiller to leeward (so the boat is trying to head up). The mechanism is: backwinded jib tries to force the bow down, tiller tries to head the boat up. From there it's a matter of finding the balance point. Adjust the main until you find it.
I second those who recommend a tillerpilot. If that's not in your future, get a tiller tamer, or make one on your own- it's a simple device.

#12 ·
Heaving-to in the sort of light air you're describing can be a challenge, even in boats that have a tendency to heave-to easily... you really do need some breeze to create the proper balance of forces...

One should never, EVER, attempt pee over the rail aboard a small boat while underway... Get yourself something like a simple paint cup, attach a lanyard to enable you to rinse it over the side after use...

#13 ·
A friend ties a line between two deck mounted cleats (they are the aft docking cleats), one port and one starboard, with a loose clove hitch around the tiller. It acts just like a tiller tamer, but it gets out of the way when you don't want it.

I also had more trouble heaving to in fin keel boats. Another friend finally showed me how to better do it. Sheet in the jib hard, backwind it, then let out the main until it just starts to luff. I was sheeting in the main too hard and it would overpower the jib and tack the boat back.

I've also done it with main only, depowered and the tiller turned hard to keep the bow against the wind.

A tiller pilot is also a handy thing...

#14 ·
Never saw a boat that wouldn't heave-to. Lots of folks just don't know how to do, though. As posted above, get yourself a Tiller Tamer. And also posted above - Never, ever pee over the side. You can purchase a simple, hospital urinal and a snap cap for a couple bucks in any drugstore. This ain't rocket science.

Gary :cool:

#16 ·
I use a rope tied across the cockpit that loosely loops around the tiller when I'm steering. If I have to 'lock' the tiller in position, I move the rope loop forward as far as it will go, which makes both sides of the rope taut. It does not get simpler than that. It works even in my dinghy that has a very temperamental steering. In the dinghy, I pee into my bailing scoop. I do not pee in my cockpit in my Mirage - that is low class, and stinky. I use a small bucket and rinse it right away.

As to the hove to problem: if the wind changes a lot and you have a current, hove to in a small boat can be tricky.

#20 ·
I do think its a case I the job overpowering the main and me not having things properly balanced.

Tiller tamer is a good idea and so is an autopilot but I still need to be able to heave to. I need some wind to practice in. At first when this boat wasn't actjng like my thers I thought I was in a funny current but it can't be a funny current all the time.

#22 ·
I agree that you're going to want to find the balance to be able to heave-to in all conditions

But, if the wind is typically only 5 kn. or less, and you have room with no one near you, just head up ease the sails a bit put a bungy cord on the tiller and do what you need to do.. how much trouble can you get into going 2 kn.

#23 ·
As I post this, I will give notice that I am brand spankin new to sailing.

When heaving to, should you end up at the "in irons" position or does it matter? Just as long as the tiller is locked leeward, the jib is backwinded and the main is in the opposite direction of the jib...

I haven't been out yet (I just finished a two day ASA101) so I want to make sure I have this figured out.

Thanks!

#28 ·
You might get better responses if you indicate what type of boat you are trying to do it with.

If I understand correctly, the ability to heave to and maintain that position indefinitely varies from boat to boat. For ours, we just tack from a close haul, leave the jib sheet, let out the main, and tie off the rudder to the opposite side. That's worked for every boat I've been on (Note: not many), but from reading I've heard that a number of boats require more work or just don't do it well.

I don't know how I'd reef if I couldn't get the boat to heave to :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.