SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   I can't heave to (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/99616-i-cant-heave.html)

northoceanbeach 05-18-2013 02:04 AM

I can't heave to

I've got to be able to find some way to let go of the tiller so I'm hoping to learn to heave to but my boat isn't cooperating.

I've only been able to practice in light wind but twice what happens is once the jib becomes backwinded it sends the boat in a circle. So I start the tack and the boat spins completely around. The other time it laid with the wond directly abeam.

It's the biggest problem I'm having out here is that I have to hold the tiller when sailing at all times. If I have to get sunglasses forgotten below or something I have 10 seconds or I'm gybing. It's weird. My other boats didn't do this. If I let I of the tiller. Round up until the sails luff and it would stay that way, in irons if you will indefinitely. Not this boat. Or at least not in these prevailing conditions which are super light wind and currents. I will say that my one day to have real wind I sailed up wind with the tiller lashed for 20 minutes. So I don't know if it was because it was upwind or the higher winds but I don't really h e the luxury of finding out since most days I'm lucky to see 5 mph.

I've just got to find a way to let the tiller go in these conditions. It's a safety issue really. I have to take down the jib and I'm accidental gybing while I do it. Also long safety lines I have to go to the bathroom an I'm gybing doing that. I'm ping to get killed trying to take a leak off the back with the boat out of control.

jephotog 05-18-2013 02:21 AM

Re: I can't heave to

No expert in this only having done it a few times but I do read about it a lot.

Maybe easing the mainsail at the same time. The idea is to be able to balance the forces. So adjust mainsail tiller jib till it works.

jephotog 05-18-2013 02:24 AM

I did not read the whole post but as far as your bladder needs, crack off the wind, steer with your leg and pee into the cockpit drains. Now that is multi-tasking.

DRFerron 05-18-2013 02:29 AM

When we had a tiller we centered it (or put it in whatever position was necessary), threaded a line through a metal eye attached to it and attached each end of the line to a stern cleat.

northoceanbeach 05-18-2013 03:32 AM

I'm thinking about putting small harken cleats on the tiller.

Peeing in the boat huh. Possible. Slightly foul. Suppose could be washed with sea water. I'll do it if I'm off shore.

capta 05-18-2013 03:52 AM

The best instructions IMO, on heaving to, and most sailing things, can be found in an inexpensive little book called Royce's Sailing Illustrated.
I've used it since the sixties and have it available for all who sail with me read it if they wish to learn about sailing, boats, rigs and simple navigation.

CrazyRu 05-18-2013 06:19 AM

Tiller tamer.
http://www.davisnet.com/marine/produ...asp?pnum=02205
or search the web for instructions how to make one.

justflie 05-18-2013 07:46 AM

Hmm. I've heard some boats don't like to heave to but, in my extremely limited experience, I haven't run into one yet. I usually drive a Sonar (23'). Back wind the jib, release the main sheet, tiller hard to leeward. Tadaaah. Hove to. I tuck the tiller under the backstay line (which runs down both gunnels to midship for adjustment) and she's happy.

Had to use it recently. VP Biden was in town for the MIT Policeman's funeral. When he was traveling through Ted Williams's Tunnel (under Boston Harbor) they shut the harbor down until his plane took off (runway is at the water's edge). I sailed around a little more outside the harbor but the wind was picking up pretty good. I hove to and all was well. I still moved forward, but pretty slowly. Saved me about 30-45 minutes of running back and forth across the harbor opening as more boats gathered to wait while the wind picked up.

JimsCAL 05-18-2013 07:57 AM

For single handing, there is nothing like an autopilot. One for a tiller-steered boat is less than $500.

If you can trim the sails well and tie the tiller off, this should give you enough time to do most tasks. But every boat is different.

jrd22 05-18-2013 09:29 AM

Do you have a working jib or a large genoa? Sounds like the foresail is overpowering the main.