My Horror Story - Page 10 - SailNet Community
 16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 191 Old 05-20-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,609
Thanks: 1
Thanked 188 Times in 156 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: My Horror Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Dude. It's Florida. What are the waves today, .5 feet with 7 knots of onshore wind?

You don't get killed running aground in a channel when it's 80 degrees outside. It may suck but he's not rounding the cape.

It's Florida. You'll be fine*. We've got lakes in this country rougher than Florida

* unless there's a hurricane
Yeah, what could possibly go wrong when running an inlet on the Atlantic coast of Florida?

This professional charter boat captain with decades of experience lost his life on what appears to have been a pretty placid day...








A place like Ponce Inlet could easily eat this kid's boat alive, if something happened to go wrong at just the 'right' time...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 05-20-2013 at 09:01 PM.
JonEisberg is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 191 Old 05-20-2013
Senior Member
 
tommays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,296
Thanks: 1
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Re: My Horror Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Dude. It's Florida. What are the waves today, .5 feet with 7 knots of onshore wind?

You don't get killed running aground in a channel when it's 80 degrees outside. It may suck but he's not rounding the cape.

It's Florida. You'll be fine*. We've got lakes in this country rougher than Florida

* unless there's a hurricane
Dude

It's Florida and they have a pretty extensive and expensive reef injury prevention act and in general get pretty pissy about stuck boats

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY


If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tommays is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #93 of 191 Old 05-20-2013
Senior Member
 
CaptainForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: living aboard since 1972
Posts: 1,715
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Re: My Horror Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
....................... Boat is hauled, scraped, sanded, painted, seacocks removed, seacocks put in ...................... Buy a whole new transmission........................ the prop is completely ate through of course! Electrolysis! Replaced. ...............Works for awhile (Engine), then runs away again one day................ Damn it I need to fix the diesel .............
I've no interest in judging you, but I am interested in the puzzle you've presented with the performance of your engine. How much time in the water was there between the prop replacement and the current loss of performance? Is excessive growth on this new prop a potential cause of your lack of performance? You didn't mention a cure for the "runs away" problem and I'm not sure what "runs away" means. Could the engine be "running away" because it's not under load? ...the the transmission becomming disengaged?... Is the shaft turning at these events? Is the new prop properly fixed to the shaft? I'm presenting these questions in pursuit of problem solving only, not to imply any incompetence on your part. Good luck and I hope your future adventures are not all repair!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
CaptainForce is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #94 of 191 Old 05-20-2013
first sailed january 2008
 
northoceanbeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,408
Thanks: 17
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: My Horror Story

And people have gotten killed crossing the street. It doesn't make walking dangerous.
northoceanbeach is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #95 of 191 Old 05-20-2013
Retired Naval Architect
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ON S/V Strider
Posts: 142
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: My Horror Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
And people have gotten killed crossing the street. It doesn't make walking dangerous.
For the sake of inexperienced sailors here, will you please top throwing around irresponsible platitudes about inlets.

The applicable extension of your analogy in this case would be walking across the middle of the block at rush hour talking on your cell phone and not looking at the traffic. So far, our boy hasn't shown that he can make it across the sidewalk without tripping over his feet. Even experienced sailors can get in trouble in these places as the photos above demonstrate.

You don't have to get rolled or capsized. A simple grounding with a ground swell running is very different from one in inland waters. The lifting and dropping of the boat can drive the keel of many production boats right through the hull before you can say, "Where's the radio?"
Roger Long is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roger Long For This Useful Post:
chef2sail (05-20-2013), jameswilson29 (05-21-2013), knothead (05-21-2013)
post #96 of 191 Old 05-20-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,609
Thanks: 1
Thanked 188 Times in 156 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: My Horror Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
For the sake of inexperienced sailors here, will you please top throwing around irresponsible platitudes about inlets.

The applicable extension of your analogy in this case would be walking across the middle of the block at rush hour talking on your cell phone and not looking at the traffic. So far, our boy hasn't shown that he can make it across the sidewalk without tripping over his feet. Even experienced sailors can get in trouble in these places as the photos above demonstrate.

You don't have to get rolled or capsized. A simple grounding with a ground swell running is very different from one in inland waters. The lifting and dropping of the boat can drive the keel of many production boats right through the hull before you can say, "Where's the radio?"
Hell, even a grounding on the Ditch can sometimes be ruinous... This 42-footer was lost 3 months ago after running aground in the in the tricky section behind Ponce Inlet... In their effort to back off, they grounded again hard in reverse, and tore the rudder and skeg right out of the boat...

JonEisberg is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to JonEisberg For This Useful Post:
knothead (05-21-2013)
post #97 of 191 Old 05-20-2013 Thread Starter
Blue Horizons
 
Harborless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 1,052
Thanks: 4
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: My Horror Story

I installed the fuel pump after running out of fuel and having to bleed the hoses manual.
i will post a full report when one is provided to me.
i plan on simply motororing the entire way down the icw once the engine is fixed. I have a gold membership covers me up to 3500build per incident. Once the engine is fixed so are my concerns.
thanks for all your interest.
i bought the boat at oycm in june 11. Its been there since. I am sure i have seen you at least. Your cutting anchor sucks, but ive already done that haha.

Will keep you all posted but for the next week or two i dont think anything much will happen.
crank case could be... idk. Ive done all i can as alayman. Professional coming down now.
Harborless is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #98 of 191 Old 05-20-2013 Thread Starter
Blue Horizons
 
Harborless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 1,052
Thanks: 4
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: My Horror Story

I am familiar with the ditch you speak of. Half my family of real sailors live in new smyrna. However i will not be traversing that inlet without my uncle. We plan on doing an overnight offshore trip memorial weekend. He is a lufetime sailor. Just got to make it down there then i will gain worlds of offshore experience from the a great sailor.
Thats scary though, they lose there boat like that. Most sailboats sink due to stuffing box d glas ssome of you believe that i cant cross a sidewalk. .apparently.
Harborless is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #99 of 191 Old 05-20-2013
Oday30!
 
deniseO30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bristol pa
Posts: 6,914
Thanks: 55
Thanked 125 Times in 114 Posts
Rep Power: 10
   
Re: My Horror Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Hell, even a grounding on the Ditch can sometimes be ruinous... This 42-footer was lost 3 months ago after running aground in the in the tricky section behind Ponce Inlet... In their effort to back off, they grounded again hard in reverse, and tore the rudder and skeg right out of the boat...

Jon, gawd that's a mess! is there more the story after it was (or if) saved or salvaged?

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My boat is sold!
deniseO30 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #100 of 191 Old 05-20-2013
Captain Obvious
 
Sal Paradise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 894
Thanks: 16
Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: My Horror Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
I I am interested in the puzzle you've presented with the performance of your engine. How much time in the water was there between the prop replacement and the current loss of performance? Is excessive growth on this new prop a potential cause of your lack of performance? You didn't mention a cure for the "runs away" problem and I'm not sure what "runs away" means. Could the engine be "running away" because it's not under load? ...the the transmission becomming disengaged?... Is the shaft turning at these events? Is the new prop properly fixed to the shaft?

Harborless did write

"So there I am direct under the bridge at 3000 RPM NOT MOVING. sitting still."
Sal Paradise is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keel, rudder, prop horror stories? deniseO30 General Discussion (sailing related) 3 08-17-2008 10:28 PM
Horror Trip tdw Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 3 05-08-2007 03:25 AM
Sailboat explosion survivor recalls horror - Naples Daily News NewsReader News Feeds 0 02-18-2007 03:15 PM
Horror on the high seas - when cruises go wrong (Stuff) NewsReader News Feeds 0 01-23-2007 12:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome