Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: My Horror Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Dude. It's Florida. What are the waves today, .5 feet with 7 knots of onshore wind?

You don't get killed running aground in a channel when it's 80 degrees outside. It may suck but he's not rounding the cape.

It's Florida. You'll be fine*. We've got lakes in this country rougher than Florida

* unless there's a hurricane
Yeah, what could possibly go wrong when running an inlet on the Atlantic coast of Florida?

This professional charter boat captain with decades of experience lost his life on what appears to have been a pretty placid day...

A place like Ponce Inlet could easily eat this kid's boat alive, if something happened to go wrong at just the 'right' time...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 05-20-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Dude. It's Florida. What are the waves today, .5 feet with 7 knots of onshore wind?

You don't get killed running aground in a channel when it's 80 degrees outside. It may suck but he's not rounding the cape.

It's Florida. You'll be fine*. We've got lakes in this country rougher than Florida

* unless there's a hurricane
Dude

It's Florida and they have a pretty extensive and expensive reef injury prevention act and in general get pretty pissy about stuck boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-20-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
....................... Boat is hauled, scraped, sanded, painted, seacocks removed, seacocks put in ...................... Buy a whole new transmission........................ the prop is completely ate through of course! Electrolysis! Replaced. ...............Works for awhile (Engine), then runs away again one day................ Damn it I need to fix the diesel .............
I've no interest in judging you, but I am interested in the puzzle you've presented with the performance of your engine. How much time in the water was there between the prop replacement and the current loss of performance? Is excessive growth on this new prop a potential cause of your lack of performance? You didn't mention a cure for the "runs away" problem and I'm not sure what "runs away" means. Could the engine be "running away" because it's not under load? ...the the transmission becomming disengaged?... Is the shaft turning at these events? Is the new prop properly fixed to the shaft? I'm presenting these questions in pursuit of problem solving only, not to imply any incompetence on your part. Good luck and I hope your future adventures are not all repair!

Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 05-20-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

And people have gotten killed crossing the street. It doesn't make walking dangerous.
Old 05-20-2013
Retired Naval Architect

Roger Long is on a distinguished road

Quote:
And people have gotten killed crossing the street. It doesn't make walking dangerous.
For the sake of inexperienced sailors here, will you please top throwing around irresponsible platitudes about inlets.

The applicable extension of your analogy in this case would be walking across the middle of the block at rush hour talking on your cell phone and not looking at the traffic. So far, our boy hasn't shown that he can make it across the sidewalk without tripping over his feet. Even experienced sailors can get in trouble in these places as the photos above demonstrate.

You don't have to get rolled or capsized. A simple grounding with a ground swell running is very different from one in inland waters. The lifting and dropping of the boat can drive the keel of many production boats right through the hull before you can say, "Where's the radio?"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roger Long For This Useful Post:
chef2sail (05-20-2013), jameswilson29 (05-21-2013), knothead (05-21-2013)
Old 05-20-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
For the sake of inexperienced sailors here, will you please top throwing around irresponsible platitudes about inlets.

The applicable extension of your analogy in this case would be walking across the middle of the block at rush hour talking on your cell phone and not looking at the traffic. So far, our boy hasn't shown that he can make it across the sidewalk without tripping over his feet. Even experienced sailors can get in trouble in these places as the photos above demonstrate.

You don't have to get rolled or capsized. A simple grounding with a ground swell running is very different from one in inland waters. The lifting and dropping of the boat can drive the keel of many production boats right through the hull before you can say, "Where's the radio?"
Hell, even a grounding on the Ditch can sometimes be ruinous... This 42-footer was lost 3 months ago after running aground in the in the tricky section behind Ponce Inlet... In their effort to back off, they grounded again hard in reverse, and tore the rudder and skeg right out of the boat...

The Following User Says Thank You to JonEisberg For This Useful Post:
knothead (05-21-2013)
Old 05-20-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

I installed the fuel pump after running out of fuel and having to bleed the hoses manual.
i will post a full report when one is provided to me.
i plan on simply motororing the entire way down the icw once the engine is fixed. I have a gold membership covers me up to 3500build per incident. Once the engine is fixed so are my concerns.
thanks for all your interest.
i bought the boat at oycm in june 11. Its been there since. I am sure i have seen you at least. Your cutting anchor sucks, but ive already done that haha.

Will keep you all posted but for the next week or two i dont think anything much will happen.
crank case could be... idk. Ive done all i can as alayman. Professional coming down now.
Old 05-20-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

I am familiar with the ditch you speak of. Half my family of real sailors live in new smyrna. However i will not be traversing that inlet without my uncle. We plan on doing an overnight offshore trip memorial weekend. He is a lufetime sailor. Just got to make it down there then i will gain worlds of offshore experience from the a great sailor.
Thats scary though, they lose there boat like that. Most sailboats sink due to stuffing box d glas ssome of you believe that i cant cross a sidewalk. .apparently.
Old 05-20-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Hell, even a grounding on the Ditch can sometimes be ruinous... This 42-footer was lost 3 months ago after running aground in the in the tricky section behind Ponce Inlet... In their effort to back off, they grounded again hard in reverse, and tore the rudder and skeg right out of the boat...

Jon, gawd that's a mess! is there more the story after it was (or if) saved or salvaged?

my current "project"!
Old 05-20-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
I I am interested in the puzzle you've presented with the performance of your engine. How much time in the water was there between the prop replacement and the current loss of performance? Is excessive growth on this new prop a potential cause of your lack of performance? You didn't mention a cure for the "runs away" problem and I'm not sure what "runs away" means. Could the engine be "running away" because it's not under load? ...the the transmission becomming disengaged?... Is the shaft turning at these events? Is the new prop properly fixed to the shaft?

Harborless did write

"So there I am direct under the bridge at 3000 RPM NOT MOVING. sitting still."