Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: My Horror Story

How did the powerboat capsize and sink?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Dude. It's Florida. What are the waves today, .5 feet with 7 knots of onshore wind?

You don't get killed running aground in a channel when it's 80 degrees outside. It may suck but he's not rounding the cape.

It's Florida. You'll be fine*. We've got lakes in this country rougher than Florida

* unless there's a hurricane
Dude,

Quite an uneducated comment.

What do you know about sitting in current and dodging bascule bridges in your relative short time sailing? Or coming out a narrow channel winding behind salt marsh's through a 200 ft. wide inlet guarded by rock jetties swept by a 3 knot current into a 15 knot breeze opposing that current with a 4 ft. swell running on the ocean? Hohw often have you done that to comment on it

Quote:
It's Florida. What are the waves today, .5 feet with 7 knots of onshore wind? You don't get killed running aground in a channel when it's 80 degrees outside. It may suck but he's not rounding the cape. It's Florida. You'll be fine*. We've got lakes in this country rougher than Florida
Interested and funny coming from a person who's experience sailing in the Atlantic Ocean is probably nil let alone where he lives is close to nil in the Pacific. Might be better to comment on things you know or have experience about lest someone new here would actually follow your advice.

Any piece of water anywhere has is issues related to its geography. Once you get some experience in the Atlantic you realize the inlets and waterways can be quite challenging and may not appear to be a serene as you make them out to be. The PNW where you live is similar to Maine and New England, you don't have any monopoly on dangerous conditions there. The Bahamas' Bank is shallow water, 80 degrees outside and would make you sick and beat you up in your 23 footer if you crossed it most afternoons with a 15 knot wind opposing current.

Trade winds and winds blowing counter to the eddies of the Gulf Stream or against the tidal currents of the back island bays when ebbing can create 10-12 foot breakers in narrow Atlantic inlets from Maine to Florida while the conditions in the ocean and bay are a benign 3 feet.

Don't make light of the Florida sailors and their conditions unless you have tested them yourself. Even then don't do it. Your comment was completely unnecessary and untrue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-21-2013

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

Bristol:

Overfilled engine oil, ingenious. I'd have never thought of that. My guess is he has no serious engine issues, just something like your explanation or a messed up Governor or slipping throttle etc, nothing complicated.

Harborless: I think you ought to fix this yourself and here is why. It will make you feel so accomplished for doing so that that you will continue your trip. You almost need to make a "flow chart" with "yes" and "no" paths for figuring it out. But, really, this engine is simple compared to any auto engine.

Bristols idea makes sense because your choke REALLY SHOULD shut down the engine (except if its burning oil from too high oil). It did on my Yanmar 1GM and on my 2GM and on my friends 1HM Yanmar. The manual says it will and even calls it "engine stop"

Do you have a working tach? When it runs away, how high does it go?
What type of engine control panel do you have? Is it a Morse type with throttle lever and shift button below? If yer choke doesnt shut her down, somethings wrong.
Old 05-21-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Jon, gawd that's a mess! is there more the story after it was (or if) saved or salvaged?
They managed to refloat her and tow her to a yard to be hauled, but sounds like the insurance company declared her a total loss... They'd only purchased the boat last August in NC, and had spent several months doing a refit in Green Cove Springs...

Here's a link to their blog...

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/prim...xjMsgID=261261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
How did the powerboat capsize and sink?
That happened a couple of years ago in Jupiter Inlet... Returning in a quartering sea, and broached on one that was probably starting to crest... The boat righted itself and never sank, but wound up on the beach, if memory serves...
Old 05-21-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I sailed in Hawaii for two years. That counts as the Pacific.

I'm not saying Florida doesn't have challenges. I considered sailing there this summer instead of here. But the 4 foot waves breaking into three knot current is really not what you face every time you leave the channel and even if you did it still doesn't seem that this fellow shouldn't go sailing. It's probably like the bridges and passes here. I'm sitting under one now typing(deception pass).

I'm just saying the poster has faxed some ough going but I'm trying to encourage him because I think he knows enough to sail in what I consider the best beginner sailing in this country. No reason to discourage him when he's already feeling overwhelmed and having near panic attacks. He doesn't need to hear how dangerous and scary it is he needs to know how he probably reacted smartly to a scary but maybe bad luck in some ways situation. Don't want him to think its all going to be like this because he probably has the next three months of perfect sailing and nothing going wrong.
Old 05-21-2013

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

BTW, check out the several youtube vids on ysm8 engines. I gotta admit, the YSM is a weird looking beast
Old 05-21-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
That happened a couple of years ago in Jupiter Inlet... Returning in a quartering sea, and broached on one that was probably starting to crest... The boat righted itself and never sank, but wound up on the beach, if memory serves...
I thought that was at Sebastian Inlet?
Old 05-21-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

The condition of the ICW channels, and it's charts makes me seriously question using it for anything other than bypassing Cape Hatteras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
They managed to refloat her and tow her to a yard to be hauled, but sounds like the insurance company declared her a total loss... They'd only purchased the boat last August in NC, and had spent several months doing a refit in Green Cove Springs...

Here's a link to their blog...

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/prim...xjMsgID=261261

1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 05-21-2013
Fresh water refugee

katsailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Dude. It's Florida. What are the waves today, .5 feet with 7 knots of onshore wind?

You don't get killed running aground in a channel when it's 80 degrees outside. It may suck but he's not rounding the cape.

It's Florida. You'll be fine*. We've got lakes in this country rougher than Florida

* unless there's a hurricane
uh yeah right,
thanks for your input, now I'm sure

S/V Shakti '81 Offshore Cat Ketch 33'
Old 05-21-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
I thought that was at Sebastian Inlet?
No, it was Jupiter... Although the boat did not wind up on the beach as I had originally thought, the mate finally made it up to the bridge and regained control after it had run in circles for awhile...

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...freak-accident