My Horror Story - Page 12 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #111  
Old 05-21-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,552
Thanks: 0
Thanked 120 Times in 107 Posts
Rep Power: 4
JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: My Horror Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
The condition of the ICW channels, and it's charts makes me seriously question using it for anything other than bypassing Cape Hatteras.
Nah, it's not that bad... Most folks who get into trouble on the Ditch simply aren't paying close enough attention... And often, in the case of a grounding, demonstrating a reckless impatience to get off immediately... Sometimes simply taking your medicine, and waiting for a rising tide, is most prudent course of action. Always amazes me how many people will call SeaTow on a quickly falling tide, when it's obvious that by the time help arrives, the boat will be so hard aground that the risk of damage, or injury in an effort to get off is very real...

Looks like these folks may have been done in by the piss-poor design of that Moody's underbody, that rudder looks to be even with, or within a couple of inches of being the same draft as the keel... Being West Coast sailors from SF Bay, perhaps they lacked an appreciation for the risk of such a configuration in the shoal waters of the East coast and Bahamas...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #112  
Old 05-21-2013
Harborless's Avatar
Blue Horizons
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 1,052
Thanks: 4
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 4
Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: My Horror Story

I have a swing keel that when up draws less than 3'. If I stay inside the markers I think I can motor without running aground.
If I do its sand and mud. I have patience for tide changes and if need be a gold membership to Towboat US.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #113  
Old 05-21-2013
CaptainForce's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: living aboard since 1972
Posts: 1,706
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 9
CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Re: My Horror Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Harborless did write

"So there I am direct under the bridge at 3000 RPM NOT MOVING. sitting still."
Yes, and this is why I was assuming that either his prop is fully fouled or it is not spinning; therefore, the questions,- Is the transmission disengaging? Is the shaft spinning? Is the prop fouled? Is the prop still there?

Nobody has a lack of momentum if a good prop is spinning with the engine at 3000rpm in a 26' boat with a new bottom paint when the current maximum is ca 2.0kts. I had hope that Harborless would tell us more of these answers to best allow some of us to give him some help.

By the way, the Moody that developed the hole and sunk after grounding near Ponce Inlet had completed a recent repair at the location of that hull failure.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #114  
Old 05-21-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 825
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 9
chris_gee is on a distinguished road
Re: My Horror Story

There is a thing called sod's law, or Murphy's law. Namely if something can go wrong it will. With experience, good preparation and prudent seamanship it may happen less and is usually easily overcome and minor. However if there is a shortfall the sea will find you out sometimes in benign conditions but more likely not.
I think there is a difference between dinghy sailing and a bigger boat. Also between being a crew and the one responsible, indeed the only one available. A range of skills have to be learned.
Okay you have done a fair amount of work. Sadly that is inevitable on an older cheap boat. It can seem never-ending particularly when you have to learn new skills and are short on money. That's boats for you, particularly old cheap boats. They are expensive and time consuming.
If the motor had been reliable and it seems you knew it was not or did not know it was, you would have run into less trouble but some as I recall.
Other people's boats can be expensive to fix, especially when a thousand is a lot. Most marinas require insurance. Can you not get third party insurance which is cheaper and doesn't cover your boat, just others. A sudden unexpected gust when docking or refueling shorthanded can do it.
Some anxiety is common, and most people experience some more stressful moments earlier on in their sailing careers. So I wouldn't panic about that rather continue to focus on building competence not just confidence.
By the way you may well find it takes more than 2 days to cover 80 miles. It isn't a straight line and steering for more than 8 hours is a pain. Trying to meet a deadline is a common source of problems.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #115  
Old 05-21-2013
lsusailing's Avatar
Older Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 49
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
lsusailing is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: My Horror Story

Harborless
Kudos for posting your story. First of all this is why we have a forum (I do not post a lot but I read every single post, great wealth of knowledge).
You did a good job articulating what you did wrong, and what you did right. At the end of the day, you won.
We all have done silly stuff, trust me, that is part of learning. There is a thread somewhere of silly stuff we have all done and it is worthwhile reading.
Harborless was honest in his posting and is asking for help. He received great advice which he can take or not take but it has helped him with his plan.
I am anxious to see what the diesel doctor says. It has to be an issue with transmission slippage or the prop. Even a bunch of scum should not slow it up that much but of course it could.
You learnt a lot on this trip so good show.
Keep us up to date, this is very interesting as we all have been in positions like this. Rest, hydrate, think, relax and tackle it. Just another day in paradise.
This is why we come back for more, it aint perfect and things will go bump in the night.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to lsusailing For This Useful Post:
bljones (05-21-2013)
  #116  
Old 05-21-2013
krisscross's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 1,492
Thanks: 22
Thanked 82 Times in 82 Posts
Rep Power: 2
krisscross is on a distinguished road
Re: My Horror Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
I have a swing keel that when up draws less than 3'. If I stay inside the markers I think I can motor without running aground.
If I do its sand and mud. I have patience for tide changes and if need be a gold membership to Towboat US.
I have a swing keel and sail on very shallow and unpredictably shifty Pamlico Sound. I always keep the keel down at least 6 inches so that when I do run aground I can easily get off just by lifting the keel. I don't have any other depth gauge. Lowered keel is a good early warning system. Never needed anybody to get me off a sand bar in that little boat.
__________________
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #117  
Old 05-21-2013
Harborless's Avatar
Blue Horizons
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 1,052
Thanks: 4
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 4
Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: My Horror Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
Yes, and this is why I was assuming that either his prop is fully fouled or it is not spinning; therefore, the questions,- Is the transmission disengaging? Is the shaft spinning? Is the prop fouled? Is the prop still there?

Nobody has a lack of momentum if a good prop is spinning with the engine at 3000rpm in a 26' boat with a new bottom paint when the current maximum is ca 2.0kts. I had hope that Harborless would tell us more of these answers to best allow some of us to give him some help.

By the way, the Moody that developed the hole and sunk after grounding near Ponce Inlet had completed a recent repair at the location of that hull failure.
Well I have tried to describe the best I can what is happening. I mean, I did install the transmission myself but it is such a simple piece of machinary I do not understand how I could have installed it incorrect to allow slippage, but it is a possibility as it was my first ever transmission replacement.
Second, I did fill the oil a bit high, but its still not above the over fill mark on the dip stick.
Third, I wont lie. I did not clean the boats bottom, well not since Febuary. I am totally sure that barnacles ARE on the prop and that IS affecting propulsion. I did not realize the level of loss that barnacles can have on the prop but it sounds like a hell of a lot. lesson learned.
I am not sure what the problem is. White smoke starts, then grey to black. Diesel is seen in the water behind the boat. It runs away both in nuetral and forward, never reverse (thought I dont go in reverse long or often)
I do not put a heavy load on the engine (except when running from the railroad bridge- it ran away in an INSTANT with no warning. Tons of white smoke.

I will be on the boat during the work and will post everything along with some pictures. The prop is less than a year and a half old. Good 150$ prop just needs a cleaning along with the boats bottom.

I also leave my keel down a bit, thought I think I will leave it up while motoring the ICW.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #118  
Old 05-21-2013
Harborless's Avatar
Blue Horizons
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 1,052
Thanks: 4
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 4
Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: My Horror Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee View Post
There is a thing called sod's law, or Murphy's law. Namely if something can go wrong it will. With experience, good preparation and prudent seamanship it may happen less and is usually easily overcome and minor. However if there is a shortfall the sea will find you out sometimes in benign conditions but more likely not.
I think there is a difference between dinghy sailing and a bigger boat. Also between being a crew and the one responsible, indeed the only one available. A range of skills have to be learned.
Okay you have done a fair amount of work. Sadly that is inevitable on an older cheap boat. It can seem never-ending particularly when you have to learn new skills and are short on money. That's boats for you, particularly old cheap boats. They are expensive and time consuming.
If the motor had been reliable and it seems you knew it was not or did not know it was, you would have run into less trouble but some as I recall.
Other people's boats can be expensive to fix, especially when a thousand is a lot. Most marinas require insurance. Can you not get third party insurance which is cheaper and doesn't cover your boat, just others. A sudden unexpected gust when docking or refueling shorthanded can do it.
Some anxiety is common, and most people experience some more stressful moments earlier on in their sailing careers. So I wouldn't panic about that rather continue to focus on building competence not just confidence.
By the way you may well find it takes more than 2 days to cover 80 miles. It isn't a straight line and steering for more than 8 hours is a pain. Trying to meet a deadline is a common source of problems.
Good luck.
After the engine is fixed the only thing left that can break is the keel. Im serious. Every single piece of equipment would have been replaced including the centerboard. I mean everything, not blowing smoke, EVERYTHING.
So with the diesel fixed I will be able to maintain an accurate maintenance law to keep Murphy at a distance, atleast for a season or two.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #119  
Old 05-21-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,192
Thanks: 50
Thanked 37 Times in 36 Posts
Rep Power: 14
knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Re: My Horror Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
BTW, check out the several youtube vids on ysm8 engines. I gotta admit, the YSM is a weird looking beast
Our 25 year old brought us from northern California to Florida. It's since been replaced for a physically smaller 10 horse but was still running fine when it was sold.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #120  
Old 05-21-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 695
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 4
Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Re: My Horror Story

I think you got the transmission right. The running away in neutral and not being able to shut her down with the choke almost clinches the too much oil thing as being right.
She starts and runs right but as the oil gets frothy she goes crazy and the smoke color changes to black indicating extreme rich mixture.
I've always been casual about too much oil and this has taught me a lot.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keel, rudder, prop horror stories? deniseO30 General Discussion (sailing related) 3 08-17-2008 10:28 PM
Horror Trip tdw Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 3 05-08-2007 03:25 AM
Sailboat explosion survivor recalls horror - Naples Daily News NewsReader News Feeds 0 02-18-2007 03:15 PM
Horror on the high seas - when cruises go wrong (Stuff) NewsReader News Feeds 0 01-23-2007 12:15 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:25 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.