Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: My Horror Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Keep in mind that the engine in question is a horizontal cylinder engine- bad rings on a horizontal engine combined with choppy water and heavy throttle usage offers the potential for a runaway engine, overfilled crankcase or not.
I will refrain from posting names but the regional director of a certain company has had a technician contact me. However, with this being memorial day weekend, work will not commence until next week. I will be on the boat during work and will make sure to snap a few pics and ask some smarty pants questions for those interested.
If the engine is unable to be fixed, a new one will be put it. The problem will be fixed once and for all.
I will report when a report is compiled.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2013
Blue Horizons

if the engine is replaced, my boat is a new boat. Except the keel. I swear if THAT thing falls off im calling it quits, seriously. That is if I survive.
Old 05-24-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Then I hope you've inspected the keel bolts. They aren't a lifetime warranty.

Based on the description of your finances, how does having the money to put in a brand new motor fit in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-24-2013
Blue Horizons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Then I hope you've inspected the keel bolts. They aren't a lifetime warranty.

Based on the description of your finances, how does having the money to put in a brand new motor fit in?
Through the blessing of family high up in the boating industry who have seen the work I have done and realize my financial constraints but wish my efforts to succeed. Ive put over 10K of personal money (student-serving tables) and over 300 hours of personal work. I started with a hammer and screw driver- Now I have a tool bag weighing over 75 pounds.

Ive inspected the TOPS of the keel bolts- how do you inspect anything further down without removing them? And I am not doing that.

10K after the cost of the boat. Im talking just refits.
Old 05-24-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
if the engine is replaced, my boat is a new boat. Except the keel. I swear if THAT thing falls off im calling it quits, seriously. That is if I survive.
Never make any important decisions early in the morning or late at night.
Try to have some fun and develop more balance. Yin and yang are always there, we just need to learn how to balance them better.
It is not that bad.
Old 05-24-2013
Blue Horizons

Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing

I am terrible at updating- this covers maybe 1/3 or even a 1/4 of whats been done. However, the pictures from where I bought the boat to the last pictures taken should give a pretty good idea the changes that have taken place. I cannot afford to hire someone to do the work- so it was all done by me except for what required a haul-out and rigger. (Seacocks all me- I didnt cutoff the mast or re-sheath it though- that was outsourced)
Old 05-24-2013
Blue Horizons

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Never make any important decisions early in the morning or late at night.
Try to have some fun and develop more balance. Yin and yang are always there, we just need to learn how to balance them better.
It is not that bad.
No, im sorry, if the keel goes and my boat rolls over on its self I am done son. End of discussion.

However, this seems to be extremely rare. I have not heard of any AMF PaceShips losing there keel so I THINK im good to go.
Old 05-24-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I think if the keel falls off its time to call it a day. I would. You did your best. It won't though. Diesel malfunctioning common. Keel falling off isn't.
Old 05-24-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

We were recently quoted $13k to have a new Betamarine 14 put in our boat, $8k for the motor and $5k in labor if it was a simple job. We won't do it because I'm not sure I can justify the expense on such an old boat, maybe you can.

I have an alert on Craigslist for 2GM20s and YSM8s set up. I often see used 2GM20s for sale around $2k-$3k, YSM8s usually go for $1200 or so depending on condition. I've called a few mechanics and found recently rebuilt motors in the same range.

You might also consider just sticking with an outboard...
Old 05-24-2013
Blue Horizons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
We were recently quoted $13k to have a new Betamarine 14 put in our boat, $8k for the motor and $5k in labor if it was a simple job. We won't do it because I'm not sure I can justify the expense on such an old boat, maybe you can.

I have an alert on Craigslist for 2GM20s and YSM8s set up. I often see used 2GM20s for sale around $2k-$3k, YSM8s usually go for $1200 or so depending on condition. I've called a few mechanics and found recently rebuilt motors in the same range.

You might also consider just sticking with an outboard...
I would never allow my family member to pony up such a bill for a boat as old and worthless as mine. When say NEW engine, I dont mean 2013. I mean New USED. Old GSM or even maybe go to a YSM12 or something. I am sorry I gave the impression I would be willing to allow such a thing to occur I assure you my shame would prevent such a thing from ever taking place.