Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road
Re: My Horror Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
No, im sorry, if the keel goes and my boat rolls over on its self I am done son. End of discussion.

However, this seems to be extremely rare. I have not heard of any AMF PaceShips losing there keel so I THINK im good to go.
Have you checked your keel bolts lately? It is an iron keel so checking the bolts at least once a year makes good sense. And keep your zincs in good shape too.
Old 05-24-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I would never allow my family member to pony up such a bill for a boat as old and worthless as mine. When say NEW engine, I dont mean 2013. I mean New USED. Old GSM or even maybe go to a YSM12 or something. I am sorry I gave the impression I would be willing to allow such a thing to occur I assure you my shame would prevent such a thing from ever taking place.
Ah ok, I was a little confused

Call around, I found a YSM8 rebuilt for $1500 a few months ago and a 2GM20 for $4k rebuilt. If I had the guy's number, I'd give it to you, but I've since lost it. There are a lot of used motors floating around in decent shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
......Ive inspected the TOPS of the keel bolts- how do you inspect anything further down without removing them? And I am not doing that.....
You could take a nut or two off, maybe a plate and see if there is any crevice corrosion. If you see any sign of it there, you can sure there is some further down. Unfortunately, if you don't, there is no guarantee, but at least a good sign.

Your declarative statement of what you are and are not doing is not necessary. In fact, you may limit good advice. Whether you do it or not is always your decision, so why limit the learning?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-24-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
You could take a nut or two off, maybe a plate and see if there is any crevice corrosion. If you see any sign of it there, you can sure there is some further down. Unfortunately, if you don't, there is no guarantee, but at least a good sign.

Your declarative statement of what you are and are not doing is not necessary. In fact, you may limit good advice. Whether you do it or not is always your decision, so why limit the learning?
Well, I guess if I did inspect the Keel Bolts and saw corrosion I would be so depressed as to pretty much list the boat for sail since in the bottom of my mind I would never be able to have peace way from dock again. I guess right now, with everything else thas happened and going on, Im just not ready to deal with that possible can of worms.
Does not mean I dont value your advice or retain it. Many times my comments are meant to be tounge-in-cheek as well. I hope no person here would refrain from giving me their opinion because they thought I did not care to hear it.
EXCEPT ABOUT BOAT LIABILITY INSURANCE
Old 05-24-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing

I am terrible at updating- this covers maybe 1/3 or even a 1/4 of whats been done.
The link does not work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-24-2013
Blue Horizons

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
The link does not work.
it works for me...
Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing

http://http://s1208.photobucket.com/?postlogin=true

I am sorry if neither works. If you are still interested enough you can just go to photobucket.com and search trisstanseth or trisstanseth@live.com
Old 05-24-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well, I guess if I did inspect the Keel Bolts and saw corrosion I would be so depressed as to pretty much list the boat for sail since in the bottom of my mind I would never be able to have peace way from dock again. I guess right now, with everything else thas happened and going on, Im just not ready to deal with that possible can of worms...
So you would rather risk your life sailing with an unknown deficiency than with a known one.

Quote:
...I hope no person here would refrain from giving me their opinion because they thought I did not care to hear it.
EXCEPT ABOUT BOAT LIABILITY INSURANCE
So you would rather risk other people's property to damage due to your own boat's unknown deficiencies than protect yourself against a liability that you can't afford to pay out of pocket.

Look, owning your own keelboat is a lot different from being a passenger on your daddy's Hobie 16. You have an awful lot to learn. And if you don't learn those things, you bear responsibility for your mistakes. "I didn't know any better" is not a valid excuse when you damage someone's property or injure somebody.

Your failure to realize the possibility of keelbolt corrosion, or the possible deficiencies of your motor, is just the tip of the iceberg. There's a whole lot more that you (and I) don't have a clue about. That's why insurance companies require surveys, and don't trust the self-assessments of dreamy-eyed novice sailors.

Getting an insurance survey and buying some insurance may save your life. At the very least, it may save your future livelihood from a future of garnished wages.

You're sounding like an obstinate child with all your "I won't do that," and "Your advice is wecome EXCEPT ABOUT BOAT LIABILITY INSURANCE."

I hope we don't end up reading about you in the newspaper someday.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 05-24-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-24-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

Your link goes to a general photobucket page which requires a logon

It is NOT a direct link to YOUR photos

Seafever Photos by tommays | Photobucket

like this

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-24-2013
Blue Horizons

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
So you would rather risk your life sailing with an unknown deficiency than with a known one.

So you would rather risk other people's property to damage due to your own boat's unknown deficiencies than protect yourself against a liability that you can't afford to pay out of pocket.

Look, owning your own keelboat is a lot different from being a passenger on your daddy's Hobie 16. You have an awful lot to learn. And if you don't learn those things, you bear responsibility for your mistakes. "I didn't know any better" is not a valid excuse when you damage someone's property or injure somebody.

Your failure to realize the possibility of keelbolt corrosion, or the possible deficiencies of your motor, is just the tip of the iceberg. There's a whole lot more that you (and I) don't have a clue about. That's why insurance companies require surveys, and don't trust the self-assessments of dreamy-eyed novice sailors.

Getting an insurance survey and buying some insurance may save your life. At the very least, it may save your future livelihood from a future of garnished wages.

You're sounding like an obstinate child with all your "I won't do that," and "Your advice is wecome EXCEPT ABOUT BOAT LIABILITY INSURANCE."

I hope we don't end up reading about you in the newspaper someday.
I would ask you to consider it from a different perspective- So I will use this analogy.

A single mother of 48 with a family history of breast cancer (like they have the gene) has three kids and works a full-time job to support their household. (so a good portion of American moms would fit the bill here-minus this gene)
The mother knows her grandmother and mother and aunt all died from breast cancer at 45 or 50 or 48 or 55 w.e.
Well the mom thinks to her self- if go to the doctor and get tested and he finds something- what would i do? I dont have savings, I cant stop working, my kids have to keep eating- so why would I WANT to know? What would that knowledge to to benefit me since know I have not the means to do anything about it?
I know your response- she would be able to get treatment and her kids may have a mother- yet that in its self is a huge presumption.
Your assuming she can afford help, has the money or means. You assume treatment would work and not just rack her and her family with enormous medical bills and still no mom. You assume her ability to keep working and providing for her children would be maintained- kids not getting new clothes, drop in quality of diet- social degregation (poor kids get bullied- terrible but true)
You assume the mother would be able to keep her self maintained with such enormous mental load.
before you yell at my callousness for drawing such a comparison I drew it from reality- That story is true and was on a TV show I watched recently. I just paraphrased what SHE said and how SHE felt so dont murder my good intentions.
Sometimes people feel like they are better off not knowing, and sometimes they may be right.

no no no I never want to risk anyones life safety or property. I have simply heard the spectrum of opinions and do not feel any further discussion on the matter to be "new," hence, I am not in need of advice regarding that particular topic.

I do have a clue about my boat. I am familiar with every bolt nut and screw since chances are I put it there. I installed all the systems. So besides the Keel and engine, I have it covered. Engine soon to be solved. Keel- Well I inspected the bolts before and the washers looked new. Its all on photobucket documented before and after. So seems I even checked that out.
Presumptions dont make you any more intelligent.
northoceanbeach likes this.

Last edited by Harborless; 05-24-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-24-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Nice attempt at moral relativism.

So are you equating your desire to have a boat with a woman's biological drive to have a child? I know a lot of women who would be very offended by that.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.