Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: My Horror Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Nice attempt at moral relativism.

So are you equating your desire to have a boat with a woman's biological drive to have a child? I know a lot of women who would be very offended by that.
No. its not a good comparison at all in that regard- I only wish to convey that some situations are not made better by knowing. Thats all. Life is leaps and bounds more valuable than my or any persons boat, Maltese Falcon included.

Last edited by Harborless; 05-24-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2013
Will work for Boat money

MobiusALilBitTwisted is on a distinguished road

photo link need fixing

1985 Venture 25
Fl Gulf Coast

GrahamO
"Möbius,You need another drink. You are starting to make sense".
Old 05-24-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I've thought that same way myself. You can't fix everything. Would I really want to know every last thing that's wrong with my boat? Maybe if I did I wouldn't be out enjoying it.

Is it the law you have to have liability to sail? Not where I'm from. It's not a car. My top speed is 6 something. Or right now I'm fighting a current going 3. By you logic you would have to have instance and a survey to ride your bike.

It's a good analogy. I don't think there are too many barren women reading this. Maybe they would understand anyways.
Old 05-24-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusALilBitTwisted View Post
photo link need fixing
My ineptitude prevents such a thing from happening - Ive tried four different ways I am sorry Id love you to see my pictures.
my handle is trisstanseth email is trisstanseth@live.com and name is tristan nettles. Hopefully one of those will allow you to find my pics and then perhaps school me on how to properly post the link.
Old 05-24-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
....By you logic you would have to have instance and a survey to ride your bike......
Your bike is pretty unlikely to create an environmental liability for putting fuel oil into the water or lying a hull in a navigable waterway and incur up to thousands of dollars per day in fines, in some locales.

A bike is also not going to have an electrical fire (which is the cause of the vast majority of boat fires and most often due to improper owner wiring) that burns a half dozen boats around you with it.

I could go on with your boat breaking free or dragging into an expensive yacht, or losing control and sailing her into one, etc, etc.

Liability is real in the US. Maybe too real, but real, nevertheless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-24-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

harborless- we can't link your photos for you.
Here's what you need to do:
1. Log into your photobucket account.
2. pull up the album with the photos of your boat.
2 a). If album is protected, you may have to change settings to public.
3. Copy the URL from the address bar.
4. pate that URL in a post here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-24-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road
Insurance Ranters

Harborless - you have to give us the name of the photobucket account.
Old 05-24-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Not tongue in cheek -

I'm getting tired of the insurance lectures ad nauseum. Admiralty law limits liability to the value of your boat. Look it up. It applies to a 26 foot sailboat too.
northoceanbeach and MedSailor like this.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 05-24-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-24-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
...Is it the law you have to have liability to sail? Not where I'm from. It's not a car. My top speed is 6 something. Or right now I'm fighting a current going 3. By you logic you would have to have instance and a survey to ride your bike...
Ridiculous hyperbole.

I never said that insurance is required by law. It is required by most marinas, and if you are lying to your marina then you might be civilly guilty of breach of contract and perhaps criminally for theft of services (though that's a stretch). A boat doing 6 knots can do a lot of damage - especially if it is on fire or leaking fuel. Regardless of whether it's required by law or contract (with marina, lender, etc.), you will be on the hook for damages that your boat causes, and could suffer years of financial pain without insurance.

My point is about morality, responsibility, and good boating practices, not the law.

I find it interesting to see you and Harborless spouting off your naive wisdom about how easy it is to navigate east coast cuts, and how you've checked over every square inch of your boat (oops - except for your runaway motor and old uninspected keel bolts and old swing keel cable/shackle and barnacle-clad bottom and propellor and old wiring and who knows what else....). I hope nobody else here is fooled into modeling your behavior.

So let me ask - if you're both uninsured, have you ever LIED to a marina about having insurance? That's what this is about - not legalities, but simple ethics and responsibility. If a marina tells you you need insurance, do move out of the marina, or say, "Oops, I forgot to bring the papers this time. I'll drop by with them next week?"

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 05-24-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-24-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Not tongue in cheek -

I'm getting tired of the insurance lectures ad nauseum. Admiralty law limits liability to the value of your boat. Look it up. It applies to a 26 foot sailboat too.
If you're getting tired of repetition after only 6 months around here, you're in for a tough time.

Can you post a reference to what you believe limits ones liability to the value of their boat? The only reference I find is when the vessel is out of the control of its owner.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 05-24-2013 at 05:57 PM.