Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: My Horror Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Nice attempt at moral relativism.

So are you equating your desire to have a boat with a woman's biological drive to have a child? I know a lot of women who would be very offended by that.
Rick,

Leave the guy alone. He craves drama and attention ( look at the title of the thread) . Look t the dramatic references in the first post. my god i hought he eas going to die. Once you give him that attention he minimizes his experience. he listens to what he listens to as long as he agrees with you.

Rck , ever run into a bridge? Rick, ever not chart the tides and currents where you go on your river let alone an 80 miles trip out the inlet into the ocean. Rick ever even make a small trip with a suspect motor. These are the simplest of safety measures. Unwilling to get even the smallest amount of insurance shows his regards for others.

Clearly he has positive drive for adventure. That's o be commended. Coupled with his knowledge there will be a long learning experience here I predict. Some people listen to others so as not to repeat thir mistakes. Some must make the mistake hemselves to learn. It's all in the way we learn. Hopefully he has fun and doesn't hurt anyone else in the process.

Eventually he will do fine. It's obvious he doesn't want our advice as we are to cautious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
harborless- we can't link your photos for you.
Here's what you need to do:
1. Log into your photobucket account.
2. pull up the album with the photos of your boat.
2 a). If album is protected, you may have to change settings to public.
3. Copy the URL from the address bar.
4. pate that URL in a post here.
I think I got it. Went into photobucket settings and now there is a shareyourprofile url on my page. This is that link:
trisstanseth on Photobucket | Photobucket

http://http://s1208.photobucket.com/...nseth/profile/
Old 05-24-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

I can see why your having problems sailing based on the pictures of how the sails are hoisted

Your looking for a much more flat shape with sail more like the skin on and airplane wing

As there shown in the pictures with the mainsail being so lose every which way it would never take the boat upwind

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 05-24-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-24-2013

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

I have kept on the sidelines on this. The photos show all I need to know. This will not end well.
Jim
Old 05-24-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
If you're getting tired of repetition after only 6 months around here, you're in for a tough time.

Can you post a reference to what you believe limits ones liability to the value of their boat? The only reference I find is when the vessel is out of the control of its owner.

Haha! Yeah I can see that.

ok, the following not tongue in cheek

http://books.google.com/books?id=plh...page&q&f=false

page 359 General Liability

The liability for the owner of the vessel shall not exceed the value of the vessel and the cargo. This excludes personal injury and death.

Limitation of shipowner's liability

One of the unique aspects of maritime law is the ability of a shipowner to limit its liability to the value of a ship after a major accident. An example of the use of the Limitation Act is the sinking of the RMS Titanic in 1912. Even though the Titanic had never been to the United States, upon her sinking the owners rushed into the federal courts in New York to file a limitation of liability proceeding. The Limitation Act provides that if an accident happens due to a circumstance which is beyond the "privity and knowledge" of the ship's owners, the owners can limit their liability to the value of the ship after it sinks.

The Limitation Act doesn't just apply to large ships. It can be used to insulate a motorboat owner from liability when he loans his boat to another who then has an accident. Even jet ski owners have been able to successfully utilize the Limitation Act to insulate themselves from liability

http://www.lipcon.com/areas_of_pract..._liability.php

sorry Harborless.........didn't mean to hijack your thread..

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 05-24-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-24-2013

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

While that may apply you will still need to hire an attorney. Wanna guess what that will cost. Hope you have duck tape. Your gonna need it.
Jim

Last edited by jimrafford; 05-24-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-24-2013
Blue Horizons

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post

I can see why your having problems sailing based on the pictures of how the sails are hoisted

Your looking for a much more flat shape with sail more like the skin on and airplane wing

As there shown in the pictures with the mainsail being so lose every which way it would never take the boat upwind
I was sailing with a mainsail split completely at the first reef. That was a worn weather main that just let me cruise around on days the wind was gusty.

I have brand new North Sail made sails jib and main. The pictures are a progression- I really hope you all realize this. Look at the dates.
Old 05-24-2013
Blue Horizons

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrafford View Post
I have kept on the sidelines on this. The photos show all I need to know. This will not end well.
Jim
Wow. Im not sure how to respond here except to ask- did you go through the progressions? There are only 2-3 pictures of the boat as it is now with bimini and new sails and all that jazz. The majority of pictures are old and show work being done (i.e. refitting)
Im very mystified by your response.

I just looked- I havent even put a picture of the inside with all the cushions in place. The rig is set up perfectly- I will update pics next week you all will see.

Last edited by Harborless; 05-24-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-24-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post

I find it interesting to see you and Harborless spouting off your naive wisdom about how easy it is to navigate east coast cuts, and how you've checked over every square inch of your boat (oops - except for your runaway motor and old uninspected keel bolts and old swing keel cable/shackle and barnacle-clad bottom and propellor and old wiring and who knows what else...."
Don't include me on this. My boats in tip top shape. I post maintenance, preventative measures, how to questions on here so hopefully I can preemp problems as well as posting opinions on lifestyłe threads.

You gave me a good laugh though. Youre actually worried about flaming sailboats hitting you.

That happened to me just yesterday. I was coming out of Sebastian inlet at max flood and I had just gotten gas. Well I store my gas can on top of my sails so it doesn't roll around. I hate the noise, besides I don't put up the sails much I usually motor. So I spilled gas all over everything but I thought I'd put the jib up this once and it would air dry but I forgot I was smokin a doobie and I flicked it into the north sails logo cuz it looks like a bulls eye.

It was at that moment I hoped I didn't hit anyone but it was getting dark at least I didn't have to worry my broken running lights.
weinie, bljones and Minnesail like this.
Old 05-24-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

My post is to point you in the right direction with sail trim as I can only assume from your problems sailing on the first trip you can use some help in how to set them up and trim them so they work well

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat