Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: My Horror Story

Harb.. Seth? You have a lovely boat! Swing keel boats cool I had a hunter 23 before I had my Oday 30 I don't think you need to be replacing your engine but you do need to do some swimming and see what's going on down there. At least it's warm in FLA. Good luck!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Don't include me on this. My boats in tip top shape. I post maintenance, preventative measures, how to questions on here so hopefully I can preemp problems as well as posting opinions on lifestyłe threads.

You gave me a good laugh though. Youre actually worried about flaming sailboats hitting you.

That happened to me just yesterday. I was coming out of Sebastian inlet at max flood and I had just gotten gas. Well I store my gas can on top of my sails so it doesn't roll around. I hate the noise, besides I don't put up the sails much I usually motor. So I spilled gas all over everything but I thought I'd put the jib up this once and it would air dry but I forgot I was smokin a doobie and I flicked it into the north sails logo cuz it looks like a bulls eye.

It was at that moment I hoped I didn't hit anyone but it was getting dark at least I didn't have to worry my broken running lights.
Okay, I laughed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-24-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

wonders why water world the movie didn't have killer sailboats...

my current "project"!
Old 05-24-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

"smokers..."

Old 05-24-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post

Admiralty And Maritime Law - Robert Force, A. N. Yiannopoulos, Martin Davies - Google Books

page 359 General Liability

The liability for the owner of the vessel shall not exceed the value of the vessel and the cargo. This excludes personal injury and death......
I'm familiar. Read it carefully. You noted that pleasure craft are explicitly excluded from the personal injury or death paragraph. However, this entire section applies to vessels that are not in control by their owner.

When you are driving your own boat, you are on the hook.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-24-2013

chris_gee is on a distinguished road

That legal stuff looks like a morass but the S183f appears to preclude pleasure boats amongst others from the limitation of liability as I think is also in a previous section. Is this wrong?
Old 05-24-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

I assume people remember my last drama-queen thread when I LAST had my bottom cleaned and the guy found my centerboard was broken in two pieces from me leaving it down and it going in the mud despite being towards the end of B-dock at OYCM marina. I assume also since having an entire new centerboard, attachment cables and pins built from scratch at Sadler Point Marina for 1K just a couple months ago that I did not have to check it for structural integrity.
I will chalk up to naivety or perhaps worse, your being a liar, that people here regularly check their keel bolts. Forgive my unawares on this matter. I have not messed with the keel bolts since I removed the nut and washers from all of them, scraped and sanded there base to remove all old caulk and show shining washers, and completely cover in a bath of 5200. That last part, perhaps dumb on me, does not let me just reach down and take a look anytime but it also gives me pretty good sense that nothing is getting through to them either.
Ill eat it on the bottom and propeller and engine. I have no real defense except ignorance which is really no defense at all. I should have got the bottom scraped before leaving OYCM end of story. I should have figured out what was wrong with the diesel before I left OYCM end of story.
I stand by the entire rest of my boat from tiller to mast light as being as seaworthy as yours m8, id bet money on it and for me that’s hard to come by.

Obviously mistakes were made on my part so criticism is warranted. Yet I am here not for embarrassment, but for enlightenment. I only wish to try and defend my logic from some of you who really do presume more than is accurate. Its hard to let inaccuracies be thrown about.
Its also hard to admit mistakes. I too laughed.

it just occurred you may be referring to my comment about breaking the centerboard block/shackle. The post metal piling that fits over the tube coming inside the main cabin of the boat that leads down to the centerboard broke off from the outside metal tube bc the outside metal tube has the same kind of corrosion my old mast bottom had. The shackle is fine. It only broke from my pulling with all my might with extreme forces of torque acting on the metal tube/shackle attachment point(think 90 degree angles) during a stick in the mud I was too impatient to wait out the tide on.

Last edited by Harborless; 05-24-2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: just occured
Old 05-24-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

still, you have a nice boat

my current "project"!
Old 05-24-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I like your resilience. If you are lucky to gain enough experience before dumping out of your dream, it will be a strong quality.
chef2sail likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-24-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I like your resilience. If you are lucky to gain enough experience before dumping out of your dream, it will be a strong quality.
I was rushing it, that much is clear. After a two year rebuild and school out for summer I was itchy and tried to jump. This experience has shown me to avoid catastrophe or failure I have to remember to stay patient, do the work, and make sure the ducks are lined.
After next week the only thing I will lack is insurance and seamanship. This will be my first "trip." Sure, ive sailed up and down the st johns BEHIND the I95 to Hooters and Whiteys and Green Cove and what not. Sure ive sailed dinghy's around the Abaco sea. This will be my first cruise however.
So I have my charts, I have my anchorages marked with the winds they are protected from, I have my tide tables and GPS way points programmed. I have my gold membership to towboat us and very soon Ill have a reliable diesel I can keep accurate logs on.
I feel like the second time will be the charm.
RobGallagher and chef2sail like this.