Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Re: My Horror Story

I haven't read any post on this thread except for the OP's post, but I know what some of them are going to say, .. sailing on a schedule is always a really bad idea because it lures you into making bad decisions.

It sounds like you had a tough time of it, but it also sounds relatively normal for a boat that is unproven. Motors crap out, the boat doesn't handle the way you expect it to, etc, but all of that is part of learning the boat. Boats are all like that, they all have stuff wrong with them (even the brand new ones), so you have to take baby steps with them and learn what they can and can't do, and your confidence in them grows over time. When you get a new (to you) boat or make big modifications to a boat you have a shakedown cruise (or many!) to work the kinks out.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think your experiences are that abnormal, but your expectations about how fast all of this might work out could be a little bit high. It's totally normal to have problems like a motor being messed up that you have to go back to the dock to fix 5 times before you finally get it working right, you really just have to allow for it and take it as it comes. After you spend enough time with your boat you start to trust her, but that can take a while, trial and error.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook