Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: My Horror Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
A really good anchor, ready to go, maybe even in dicey situations rigged so you can release it from the cockpit, can be a nice little bit of insurance.
Done.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
You dont call the coast guard because you run around in mud. You push the boat off, wait for high tide, or do as i did and hail a passing boat. It was not an emergency just an inconvience. The railroad and bridge were dangerous situations and i did report myself in distress but was able to get out of it.

So i have developed a plan of action. Tmmrw morning will tow the boat or sail if wind to closest marina. Have a diesel mechanic to come out and FIX THE PROBLEM once and for all. While shes holed up ill get a bottom scraping. Once the engine is fixed this whole debacle becomes enjoyable again and a whole lot easier.
Really? You think that the desiel and the bottom is the only issue.

I agree that needs to be addressed , but as others have posted a little more planning and knowledge of what you were doing would be a prudent risk adversive way of taking this small trip.

Understanding currents is part of basic navigation and planning. Knowing how to power up your boat with the sails should your motor die is basic sailing. Anchoring properly. Even in an emergency basic sailing. Setting out on a offshore trip, even 80 miles requires your boat is in good shape, not suspect, again basic seamanship. Having a time limit and pressure to move the boat before you/ it is ready is how to get in trouble.

So by your own admission in your post you had a calamitous first go at this. Take others who have posted on here's advice and plan and think it through better as wel as use your skills and as James said the "grey" matter. Take someone with you with more experience. Most of us have learned that way. Plan this trip better. It's only 2 days but a lot can go wrong in 2 hours.

Sailing is supposed tone fun and relaxing for the most part. Challenges are present without creating extra ones through poor planning or poor equipment. It will get better over time as your experience increases. Even a 40 mile day sail on a weekend which we do frequently. requires a greater degree of planning than you did it appears.

Don't be discouraged, but listen to the good advice so far here. It's meant as helpful even though its to what you may want to hear.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-19-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
Done.
What was your solution for this?

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-19-2013
Blue Horizons

The engine has been the problem. I am getting towed to a marina, fixing the engine, scraping the bottom, and getting membership to seatow.
when the engine is fixed i can either sail to st aug then new smryna in two seperate trips, not 80the miles in one go, or i can go down the icw bc ill be able to motor and be towed in case groudning i cant free myself from.
i feel my level of knowlledge is up to the task. When bad things happen i act and by my readings and experiences have been able to be calculated in my decisions, like when my chain plate popped in 25time knots. I just tacked and used my jib halyard and a winch to replace the tension in the shroud. Or the gybe to the bridge. With a reliable engine what will be the major concern in thesse situations? Ill be able to motor and sail! Instead of just sail.
the offshore trip will most likely be skipped in favor of the icw once i know i can safely motor sail.
Old 05-19-2013
Blue Horizons

I ran my anchor and rode back along outside the stanchions and hung the anchor over the starboard stern rail. Now when im ready to anchor i simpy toss it over the rail. No need to go up to the anchor hatch.
Old 05-19-2013
Blue Horizons

Yea. Im thinking icw forsure once i can motor.
Old 05-19-2013
Blue Horizons

FoFor those who think i got up one day and decided to sail away... WRONG. I have charts from here to the virgin islands with over 165to anchorages marked off from here to key west. I have all safety gear including harnesses and epirb. I have provisions, water, fule, spare engine parts, oils, lubes, spares for spares. I have thought this though i just did not realize how defunct the engine really was until now.
i am rectfiying the situation. What else do you want?
Old 05-19-2013
Blue Horizons

FoFor those who think i got up one day and decided to sail away... WRONG. I have charts from here to the virgin islands with over 100 anchorages marked off from here to key west. I have all safety gear including harnesses and epirb. I have provisions, water, fule, spare engine parts, oils, lubes, spares for spares. I have thought this though i just did not realize how defunct the engine really was until now.
i am rectfiying the situation. Not sure what else i can do.
i will say this however, i have received a quick education in tides and currents. I was not aware the affect they would have but again, once the engine is fixed and bottom smooth these problems should mostly go away. I do have gps as well. Vhf and fixed. All ne w rigging and lines. Shes a worthy and seaworthy sailboat with a sheet engine. Fix the engine and im good.

I want to say thank you to all of those who posted advice and encouragement. I will make it through. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Harborless; 05-19-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-19-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

There are only two kinds of sailors who have not run aground: those who have not left the dock and those who lie. Dont let that bother ya. I have run aground more times than i can count. People up north often fail to understand that we generally sail in water where there may not be a foot under our keel!!

You cant learn sailing with books and magazines. Real life is different and thats where you learn it. You will make mistakes. Learn from them.

That being said, i am concerned about what i perceive as your lack of experience on this adventure. Cant you find a buddy who sails to go with you? That would make it more fun too.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-19-2013

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

I agree, something is wrong here, engine should easily push against such a weak current. "Engine runs away", WHAT? are you sure it is doing that? Could it be a slipping clutch or slipping prop on shaft that suddenly slips allowing the motor to spin up to max RPM? You might need to check the engine Governor but I doubt it.
Find a good place to anchor and leave her there while you think it over with a clear head.
I too used to get so stressed about sailing stuff I was nearly unable to do anything but that seems to have passed. Now, I concentrate on doing everything slowly even when everybody else says "STOP, You're GONNA HIT THAT BOAT" I'll calmly look things over and consider my actions.
Your boat can take a lot of abuse, hitting a bridge, been there, done that. It's really disconcerting when they close on you. Hitting rocks, done that too and doing so in the river won't hurt you. Resist the temptation to jump overboard to try to fix things, BAD idea.
There is nothing wrong with getting stressed in such unfamiliar conditions, in fact, there'd be something wrong if you weren't. We try tell ourselves that we logically know how to act at times like this but lack of familiarity shuts down the brain.
You might also just be in one of those times of life when you are prone to panic attacks. I went thru that for three years when as soon as I was in open water fear took over and I was unable to think even in calm weather. The human mind is a weird thing.
Keep trying.