Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: My Horror Story

Good lessons. Learn and move on.

Don't reject good advice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2013
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road
just one thing to add

Stick with it!

Try out the suggestions. Measure your speed and establish you can master the currents while motoring. Take it one stage at a time.

Heck, find a SNer to come with you if you need backup.

But whatever you do don't give up!
Old 05-19-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Your ordeal proves that you have a lot to learn about sailing. I wish you well, but until you learn a lot more (and buy some liability insurance), please stay far away from others' nice boats.

On a previous thread you went on and on about how you would not pay for insurance because it would delay your departure for your offshore dream. Given your proven lack of experience, I think it would be wise to slow down, learn a little more about sailing, buy insurance, and become a responsible boater.

You've got plenty of time to pursue your dream, but only if you don't kill yourself (and possibly others) first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
...this made me laugh.
Sorry, no insurance here. Im willing to bet you have uninsured boaters insurance for folks like me who refuse to throw money away.
Quote:
...I live by the mantra of the Buddah anyway regarding material posession:
It was lost before you ever found it. I.E. it was broken before it was made, ie.e. all things come and go...
Quote:
...Here is my reason for not paying 170you per year, which is totally reasonable mind you. If i paid for the haul out and survey then policy right now i would have to put off leaving for yet another year...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
The Following User Says Thank You to TakeFive For This Useful Post:
Maine Sail (05-20-2013)
Old 05-19-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Check your crank case vent, temporarily disconnect it if necessary. That might solve the runaway problem.
What is the idea here?
Old 05-19-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Good show on your new plans and good. Luck.

Get a book or an app to familiar yourself with currents and tides , they are related but not identical. Running aground is a luxury in our sailing area as is yours. Different when you travel o NE or north. Most of us know the difference in the consequences so not an issue.

Sail with others to learn, by yourself to improve skills

I too am concerned like Takefive on your attitude about insurance .

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-20-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Im not getting back into the insurance discussion. We disagree on it. End of that discussion.
i have heeded the advice here. I am postponing the tripp, hiring a diesel mechanic, getting a membership to seatow and then using the icw to make my solo motor sail. Have i not heeded?
so far as scraping my own bottom believe me when i reach new smmyrna i will do it myself. In the st johns? No way. Waters filled with parasites and fecaal matter. No visibility. Im scared of murky muddy water it freaks me out so thats a def no go. In clear water where i can see i have 0 issue.
tommrw morning im meeting the seatow guy and getting towed to arlington marina to fix the diesel and have the bottom done. Hopefully in a few weeks time i will be ready to head out again.
i will hhave so little concern knowing i have a reliable iron genny. Seriously it will. Make all the difference.
thanks for your continued responses. Advice is being heeded.
Old 05-20-2013
Blue Horizons

I reject the premise that i am deemed irresponsible for not bowing to the insurance. That irks me a bit but your entitled to your opinions and i appreciate your considerations.
Old 05-20-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

Quote:
................... In the st johns? No way. Waters filled with parasites and fecaal matter. No visibility. Im scared of murky muddy water it freaks me out so thats a def no go. In clear water where i can see i have 0 issue................
In truth, the fecal coliform level of the St. Johns River is not above average in the US and the parasites you refer to are not present to any degree different from absolutely clear waters. The turbidity of the St. Johns (low visibility) is due to the tannic acid from plant material and identical to the chemicals that are found in a glass of tea that forms a healthy beverage. You may not be comfortable in the river with a low amount of visibility, but that is your own pyschological issue and not a fault of the river. 'best of luck with your voyage and the development of your skills!

Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 05-20-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
I reject the premise that i am deemed irresponsible for not bowing to the insurance. That irks me a bit but your entitled to your opinions and i appreciate your considerations.
I certainly did call you irresponsible and quite frankly don't care if you have insurance on yourself or people who you may take on your boat or insure the value of your boat as you don't keep it where I ke mine.

I do believe though that insurance should be required to pay for any environmental impact you would cause from an accident in your boat. For it acne hitting a bridge, sinking and fouling the water with deisel fuel. I or the taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for your accident.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-20-2013
Blue Horizons

Its definently pychological. Of course its not the rivers fault haha. Its humans, especially nitrogen from fertilizers. Normal is a sad state bc the st johns is disgusting im sorry.
ive always been scared of murky muddy water, not sure i want to try to get over that one.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.