Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: My Horror Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I certainly did call you irresponsible and quite frankly don't care if you have insurance on yourself or people who you may take on your boat or insure the value of your boat as you don't keep it where I ke mine.

I do believe though that insurance should be required to pay for any environmental impact you would cause from an accident in your boat. For it acne hitting a bridge, sinking and fouling the water with deisel fuel. I or the taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for your accident.
Spare me sir, seriously. Spare me. Your advice has been taken under consideration. If you have nothing to contribute besides your insurance opinons please direct your replies elsewhere. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2013

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

Hmmmmm..........failure to purchase cheap liability insurance reflects poorly on your judgement and seems to me to be an issue of selfishness. If this continues, I predict continuing problems.
I got no prob with following yer dream but you gotta be somewhat responsible when your actions can harm others.
Old 05-20-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

You guys dont quit, so i will before i lose my politness. One more time id like to thank the responders here. I have a plan of action and will follow it. Will keep you updated. Harborless out.
Old 05-20-2013

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

Well, I don't expect to convince you but please hear me out. Going without liability insurance is like going to sea in an unseaworthy boat and simply relying on other boaters to rescue you. Not a good thing to do and I'd call it bad karma.
It's cheap too AND you can pay in quarterly installments so if your plans don't work out, you stop paying. The SeaTow thing is insurance (and very worthwhile) so just pay for a quarters worth of liability.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frogwatch For This Useful Post:
bljones (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Sounds like the steep part of the curve for sure. Sounds like you are taking some good actions and making some new (good) plans.

Agree with others that the bottom and prop must be fouled badly, or the current was way more than 1.5kts. I also agree that an engine can't run away in gear, so maybe your transmission is slipping out of gear and you're hearing the engine go up to red-line in neutral...

Good luck with the rest of the voyage. Get some good sleep and usually things look less desperate after some rest.

Thanks for the description of events. It's hard to swallow your pride and put all your mistakes out there for criticism but you've been rewarded with some good advice here so far for doing so.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-20-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

The reason I brought up the insurance issue is because your horror story proves how much you need it. If you can't navigate under a bridge without hitting it, what's going to happen when you have to pass through a crowded mooring field or marina - something you'll need to do every time you venture out?

From the impression I get here, at your level of skill and knowledge, you're very likely to damage something at some point and you don't have the financial resources to make someone whole. Insurance will be a bargain for you, and at some point you're probably going to wish you had it.

Your attitude toward insurance seems to be "it won't happen to me." But based on your story here, it already has. That's a very dangerous attitude to have if you're ever planning to go offshore.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 05-20-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
....I am postponing the tripp, hiring a diesel mechanic, getting a membership to seatow and then using the icw to make my solo motor sail. Have i not heeded?......
Yes, I've been one to bonk you on the head for insurance too. But, I hope I've offered other useful advice in other threads.

With all due respect, I would suggest a little self-reflection. These examples above are not really heeding other more experienced advice. You are retreating to them after having had a problem that proved to you that you need them.

I only want to point out that, if you wait until you have an issue that proves to you that you need insurance, it could ruin your life. Cause environmental damage and the local municipality can get ugly and follow you forever, until you finish paying.

I know you don't want to hear it, but I've seen many cruising dreams crushed. Yours, you'll probably admit, was starting to look that way and doesn't have to.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-20-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

A few suggestions...

Don't worry about the possibility of going aground on the ICW... Nothing but sand and mud between you and New Smyrna, at most a grounding might represent a delay, or an embarrassment... I've explained previously in an earlier thread how easy it is to play the tides going south on the Ditch - riding the flood south from Mayport, and then the ebb down to St Augustine, and so on... As underpowered as you are, you must figure out how to take advantage of the significant currents that exist in that area, and be prepared to wait for them to turn to your advantage...

Don't be attempting to sail through bridges, as others have mentioned, you can see some very weird effects of wind and tide in close proximity to a bridge...

Don't ever attempt to shut down a diesel, no matter how small, by putting your hand over the intake... Use something like a leather glove, or some similar lint-free implement...

Take advantage of having a mechanic aboard to learn as much as possible... You really have to become more self-sufficient in terms of being able to deal with engine issues, and I'd highly recommend you pick up a copy of Peter Compton's TROUBLESHOOTING MARINE DIESELS for reference, it's the best place to start, IMHO...

If you experience further problems with the boat, St Augustine is one of the better places in Florida to attempt to sort them out... Some good yards there that cater to DIY cruisers, and between Sailor's Exchange and other suppliers, good access to parts and gear... St Augustine is a pretty small town, most everything within walking distance of where your boat will be, and a large community of sailors who can help you out with advice, whatever... You really want to try to have things more sorted out before proceeding beyond St. Augustine, a comparably convenient opportunity for DIY-ers really doesn't exist again until you get down around Ft Pierce...

Your experience so far highlights the value/necessity of a Shakedown cruise prior to the commencement of The Big One... So, perhaps you should modify your perspective, and put yourself in the frame of mind that this trip to New Smyrna is your shakedown for the time being. Don't try to think too much beyond that right now, concentrate on getting your engine and bottom issues sorted between now and then, and then take it from there...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 05-20-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-20-2013
Retired Naval Architect

Roger Long is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
Failure to purchase cheap liability insurance reflects poorly on your judgement and seems to me to be an issue of selfishness. If this continues, I predict continuing problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Your attitude toward insurance seems to be "it won't happen to me." But based on your story here, it already has. That's a very dangerous attitude to have if you're ever planning to go offshore.
I agree. Attitude is one of the most vital components of seamanship. I think we'll be hearing more about this guy but not necessarily from him. Locals, keep your eyes on the newspapers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
You guys dont quit, so i will before i lose my politness.

Last edited by Roger Long; 05-20-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-20-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

I too am new to the larger boat sailing thing. I too have a dream, like most of us on this BB. At one point or another we all wanted our freedom. Large boat boats offer us that vehicle. They way I started on my path was not much different than yours. However, I have been sailing this 30 foot C&C boat for over a year. Learning her, Getting to understand her quirks is important . How she responds in a large puff. How close to the bottom a 5' keel relay is. I live on the ICW between mm 430 and 545 . Beaufort SC has a 9' spring flood tide with shifting sands ever ware. With a deep draft vessel like mine "5 foot" local knowledge is very important., What i don't do is sail around outside the channel on a falling tide. If you think about what this means, I could be sailing around with 3 to 4 feet under the keel on the full spring tide and 5 hours later be laying on my side on a sand bar. I have been learning the center if the river.
The other thing is the AICW has many things in common within the eastern seaboard. Here in the south the prevailing winds will come from the south. Most any of us going south will have to beat into the wind. That being sail at least leave with the outgoing tide to give you some help.
This weekend, my wife and I leave on our first overnight trip down the AICW. After work on Friday we head 16 miles south to Hilton Head Island. We will spend the night there. Saturday we will sail the calibogue sound out to Georgia and the TYBEE roads shipping channel. Then, back north, north east to Dafuuskie island. We will spend the night here at the Free-port marina $49.00. Then head back to Port Royal on Saturday.
Iím very anxious of this trip as you are after your first leg. The difference is I have spent a year preparing for this trip.
1) I have a Boat Us towing account.
2) I have insurance on my boat.
3) I have spent hours and hours on my systems.
4) bleeding the injectors not because I had air but because I wanted to know how to do it before I lost power.
5) Raw water strainer rebuild.
6) All lights cabin and top side.
7) U-tube study how to do everything: Anchor, Mooring, GPS use. Map reading, Radio use, Chart plotting, Bottom cleaning, Mast climbing, Pressure alcohol stove use.
tie knots.
8) Stuffing box emergency repair use.
9) Pitch, yaw and roll
I have been studying for a year.
I have all safety gear except an "epirb" I will get one as soon as I can affords one. I will never be outside the AICW. On and on and on. I Iím not sure I am ready. But I do think We will be safe.
Long story I know. I just think by your story that my anxiaty level may be worse than yours and I have not left the dock yet. Plus I have spent considerable more time and money to make sure I have not missed something. the good thing is if I sink my boat in Beaufort SC it wont take on water.
I think you should do more home work and Have fun. It will be fine. Spend the time and money that could save your life. Taking a wild ride just to write a book will be a foolís game if you never get a chance to write it. Follow your dream but be safe. And donít crash into my boat without insurance. I would have to take some of your stuff and sell it to cover your damages.
Peace.
Capt. Burt

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.