Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: My Horror Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
I reject the premise that i am deemed irresponsible for not bowing to the insurance. That irks me a bit but your entitled to your opinions and i appreciate your considerations.
I hate to break this to you, but SeaTow is insurance! It's towing insurance. You've already abandoned your principles, so why don't you do the right thing, and pick up some cheap liability insurance to protect you from damage you may/will cause other people's vessels and dockworks, or environmental damage?

...and no, I don't have "uninsured boater" insurance to protect me from people like you as you indicated in an earlier post. You seem quite comfortable dumping your responsibility onto others.

What I see here, is someone who has done a lot of reading, and has a certain level of knowledge, but a low level of experience.

Because you are confusing "knowledge" with "experience", you have set off, thinking that you know all you need to know. Your attitude and experience indicate otherwise. You need more practice.

You have cut critical corners in your planning (functional engine, clean hull and prop, towing and/or liability insurance) in order to pinch pennies and adhere to a schedule. YOU acknowlege NO responsibility in your recent trials. It's all the engine's fault, or the current's fault, or the dirty hull's fault. You should have had items #3 - #6 ironed out before you departed.

Here's the summary:

Fix the engine (which you are doing)
Repair your centerboard pennent (unclear if you are doing this)
Clean the hull and prop (which you are doing)
SeaTow (which you have done)
Liability (which you still refuse to do)
Practice, practice, practice (which you think you do not need)
--------------

Ok now that I've crapped all over you, let me also say that I think you have real potential. I think you can become a good sailor with more practice and a bit of an attitude adjustment.

Good luck.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BubbleheadMd For This Useful Post:
bljones (05-20-2013), Maine Sail (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Having watched you and read your threads over the year or so since you got your boat, your measured approach to learning its systems will bode you well and you have nothing to worry about. You have prepared yourself well.

Cant wait to hear you next installment.

Murphy lives on every boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-20-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I hate to break this to you, but SeaTow is insurance! .
So is an EPIRB which he carries.
Old 05-20-2013
Retired Naval Architect

Roger Long is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
So is an EPIRB which he carries.
Well it's only insurance if you are going to otherwise die or be at significant risk of death or injury. Short of that, it's just a very round about and indirect way of calling TowboatUS or Seatow while annoying the Coast Guard.

Unless there is a threat to life or the environment, the Coast Guard is just going to call a private towing company. They will call the one you have insurance with. If you don't have the insurance, they will just call anyone and you could end up paying about as much as the boat being discussed here is worth. They really soak the uninsured.

An EPIRB is only useful in situations in which you wind up soaking wet on a dock with your boat just a memory.
Old 05-20-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Harborless,
You got some solid and sound advice above. Take it as it is intended, as good sound advice to assist you.

Staying inside sounds like a good plan. I and many others on this board have travelled the area you are traversing both inside and outside and there is a LOT of experience at your command here. I travelled the inside between St. Augustine and Jax NAS last year, aside from the river through downtown Jacksonville it was a pleasant trip and simple navigation, plenty of anchorage around St. Augustine watch out for sunken, unlit sailboats just north of the bridge if you come in after dark! Ask me how I know...

Hopefully you can take advantage of the down time to make repairs, regroup, get your head together and go on your voyage. Try not to get ruffled on the insurance discussion as I am certain it is intended in the same manner that trip planning, maintenance, and understanding navigation advice is given, to help you along your way by offering up the combined centuries of experience for you to learn from and lean on.

Keep us posted and best of luck!
Old 05-20-2013
Retired Naval Architect

Roger Long is on a distinguished road

Is this crazy season or what? Maybe it happens every spring. I just got a PM from someone setting out on their first cruise with what looks at first blush like reasonable practice and preparation. However, they are going to dock every night because they have never anchored the boat!

One of the docks they were planning on stopping at is a boat killer that I sheered away from with my 40+ years (24,000 nm in the last five alone) experience. What would they have done it they got there late in the day with good anchorages not far away? What would they have done if they had an engine failure in current with no wind?

I strongly suggested they spend the time completing their basic education and practice.
Old 05-20-2013

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

Here is an easy and cheap way to clean his bottom and prop enough for him to get where he wants. This is what I do when I am too far from somewhere with haulout facilities. Go to Home Depot and buy a long handled tool that looks like a garden hoe but has a straight blade. I am not sure what most people use em for but I use it to clean my hull from the dock as it can reach waaaaaaaay down in the water. I can also use it to clean my prop from the dock EVEN IN MURKY WATER.
In the morning, before the water gets stirred up, you can generally see your prop from the dock and you can use this thing to clean it. If you really want to do it right, you can lower your boarding ladder and stand on the bottom rung and do it from there and then you can also do the aft turn of the hull.
Old 05-20-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Actually, an EPIRB is after all an EMERGENCY positioning beacon, and it is supposed to be used for emergency and distress purposes only.

Being inconvenienced, aground in a harbor, is not an emergency and is not distress. So tripping an EPIRB in that situation, when there are other alternatives (like, wait an hour) qualifies as a false distress signal and if you catch someone in a less than generous mood, they'll send you a nice bill for that.

All more reasons to take some basic boating safety course.
Old 05-20-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
Well it's only insurance if you are going to otherwise die or be at significant risk of death or injury.
My point was he does believe in insurance, just not for his victims.
Old 05-20-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

As a number of you have taken up a particular interest in these postings I will attempt to articulate a response thorough enough to conclude the situation at present. Now, as I begin I would like to remind those of you familiar with my postings that I have been sailing since a small boy. I began on SunFish in the Bahamas at the island of Man-o-War often racing my brothers and cousins in races around the Abaco sea, and when older, the island its self. Graduating on to the Hobie 16 when I was old enough I became familiar with the concept of a multi-hull and jib. I will say that I never took it upon myself to learn its use enough to sail it solo, or even as the dominate captain.
Move forward.
I have a blinding revelation, I should become a sailor. How else could I travel and live the life of a freeman in this age of economic slavery.
I spend the next year reading every posting I can find. I join Sail Lazer Jacksonville and go sailing every day there is wind on SunFish, Lazers, Beheas and Hobies. Solo. Had a bad day one day, check the posting- demasting I think it was. buy chapman’s, blue water cruisers handbooks, how to inspects the boats guides and join any number of dedicated sailing forums. I look at thousands of boats online all the time. Tartans, cheoy-lees, the beautiful constellations- imagining what I would make my own. What should I acquire I wondered? Sloop rig? Spaded or finned? Inboard or out? I study designs, plans, features, books, marinas, docks, anchorages looking. Learning. Waiting.
I find her. She sits at the Ortega yacht club marina. A beautiful specimen really, clear as chalk and marked with the loving tlc of a Florida climate. Yet, I could stand upright in her cabin, stretch out fully in her bed. I could crank her iron genny and she appeared to have a real working toilet. Whats that you ask? Only $2900.00? Hahaha my good man I am taking you up on her.
I own a 26’4” 1979 AMF Paceship Py26 at the age of 23. Yay to me. Time to get to work.
Where’s that old inspecting book at? Oh here it is. Page one.
Well… The build begins. The keel seems okay, but better haul her to make sure.
Boat is hauled, scraped, sanded, painted, seacocks removed, seacocks put in (my lads, you think I can afford labor at $75 per hour, I laugh at you once more. This work is being done by me, the 23 year old irresponsible crap o person) Marlon is nice. My study of the properties of the composites led me to choose it over my favored traditional brass cousins who are so prone to the ravages of electrolysis. Not very expensive either. I am the penny pincher, as you all seem to know so well.
Seacocks put in, all of them. All parts included. Starboard makes good backing material. Of course I reinforce everything I install, what am I an idiot?
Engine blows up. Crap. Don’t know anything about that. Better download the manual.
Hmmm…. Seems I need to dissect this further. Need to get towed back to marina, cost money to sit out of water.
Removed mounting bolts, they seem loose. Remind myself to get bigger mounting bolts and go deeper upon reinstallation. Engine removed. Start with clutch, move to transmission. Manual specifies bell housing unit B to be the culprit. No spares, discontinued since 1992, Damn you yanmar!
What to do. Buy a whole new transmission. Said transmission arrives, said transmission is installed. Problem fixed. Yay to me. Why does she not drive at all however? Because the prop is completely ate through of course! Electrolysis! Replaced. Better do the anodes while I’m add it, there cheap anyway. Replaced. Hmm, seems to me that stuffing box material is not in good condition. Replaced. Lets take her out for a go. Running away? But how? Not sure… Too advanced for myself, not the right tools. Back to Sadler. Old man will shows me the deal. Take off the engine face plate, remove governor mechanism and fuel rack assembly. Clean and polish. Remove engine crud. Refill and reinstall. Works for awhile, then runs away again one day. No method or timing, just madness. How to diagnose? Very expensive to hire. Read manual again. Must be internal chamber valves allowing oil or gas? Exaust maybe? Mixing elbow? Checked, fixed, replaced. Nope not it. Guess Ill have to leave it for another time. She always runs at least 5 minutes before running so for the time being this will have to suffice.
Back to work. Lights don’t work. Replace. Wires not marine grad tin, rectify. Wires ran through bilge, nonono. Reroute through bulkhead and then direct into mast- that took awhile. No more water logged wires. Battery old? Ditched, three replace it. Need power? Install 80W solar panel on stern rail with custom built design. Fabricated on docks of said marina by said self. Installed. Regulator installed. Inverter installed. Outlets installed. Now Im getting self sufficient.
Lines rotted through. Shrouds strands showing. Spreaders dust. Mast corroded at bottom. Nothing works at top. Mast must come down. Mast comes down, is chopped sheathed and reinserted. While this is done I replace entire rigs standing rigging and lines including all shackles and blocks. Wire mast lights. Make sure you use tie cables that stick out to fill the void in the mast to avoid pesky sound of wires hitting metal. Nice touch, thanks I know.
Antenna replaced, mast head light replaced, anchor light replaced. Spreaders replaced. Mast dropped back in. Now what? Leaky port holes, need to fix. Bought, installed. Water intrusion under the toe rail? Need to remove toe rail, fill with epoxy, rebore and reset. Done. Whats that? Light ports on bow leak? Replaced. Solar vent installed. Latches for hatches replaced. Compass mounted. Instruments mounted. Engine start up panel destroyed. Need to install new one. Done. Install new fuel cut-off. Replace old circuit breaker, rewire. Reinstalled.
Rotten wood under toilet? Sink too? Torn out, replaced. Nice trim added, gives clean touch. Toilet leaks. Too old. New toilet purchased. Works great. Need y-valve however, don’t like to be irresponsible and pump waste overboard. Try to be somewhat responsible. Y-valve installed, exit valve installed. Pump-out now possible.
Water tank replaced. Water hoses replaced. Water pumps sinks sink faucets replaced. Do you see where this is going? I am not even HALF WAY DONE YET YOU PEOPLE CONTINUE TO PRESUME. I have not even made it to all of the addiotnal safety devices installed nor have I begun to cover the barometers, thermometers, clocks, compasses, hammock nets, grills, stoves and everything else you have to have to live someplace. Dishes, soap, cleaning products, sheets, towels, pillows; everything you have in your house I have acquired and put on my boat. I even bought an inflatable dinghy so I can anchor out and avoid paying dock fees. Am I not self sufficient? I have rain catchers, solar vents, solar panels, four anchors, 45’ chain, 250’ line plus however many other spares pieces of line I have. Tiller locks, extra belts, impellers, oils lubes.. Anyway you get the point.
So. I have not liability. Well then I will continue to be the irresponsible dimwit you all seem to know so well. If an insurance guy REALLY knew his sh!t he would not require an additional haul out and out of water survey to insure a 30+ yr old sailboat worth less than 10k with simple liability when I have DOCUMENTED RECORDS AND PICUTRE EVIDENCE recording almost all work done.. But he does, and IM NOT BITING!!!! Enjoy my future postings.
The entire time this is happening the boat is being sailed when possible. Almost every time out disaster is averted. Chain plate pops in 25 knots, anchor line breaks lose, main sail rips, engine runs away, rocks get close, muddy bottom gets closer. Hit the dock a few times coming in, just a scuff. Glad I read all those stories of disasters at sea so whenever disaster tried to happen to me I immediately acted. Solo sailing the st johns is not bad. Never tried to sail OUT OF THE ST JOHNS until now, boat was not ready, being rebuilt. Forgive me for the learning curve. I KNOW I need offshore experience, I know I need practice. I will continue to get both now that my boat is ready( or almost, damn diesel)
Diesel will not make it. I cannot handle stress. Damn it I need to fix the diesel. So what am I doing? I just had the boat towed to a marina where it is being worked on by a diesel expert. My gold membership to tow US is a plus. I am glad I listened to this advice.

But do not presume that my boat is not seaworthy or the captain an idiot. I have seen island packets less seaworthy than my Strong Back. And I BUILT HER WITH MY HANDS.
I will get the experience. I will make it. I will not lose my boat and I will not hit yours. Stay out of my way those of you on the other end of this discussion. I have nothing further to comment to you.
Harborless, OUT!