Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2013

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Re: My Horror Story

That li'l YSM8 is a simple engine and should be ultra-reliable.
Describe "running away" Does it happen only in gear or does it ever happen in neutral?Could it be a situation of the shift button jumping back into neutral and then speeding up cuz no load?
Why doesn't your choke cable work to shut her down? Even if the cable doesnt work you can go in the cabin and manually do it rather than putting something over the intake.
Get to know yer engine and eventually will fall in love with it for what it is, a simple piece of equipment that works most of the time with the right maintenance. Be sure you know how and why to bleed the fuel system. Do it numerous times so you know what to look for with air on the lines. Be sure you know how to change your intake impeller (it has been changed hasn't it?) and take a spare impeller. Take a spare water pump /alternator drive belt (they are prob separate). When starting up, ALWAYS look behind for the cooling water coming out the exhaust. What color is your smoke?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2013

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

I'll admit, the world looks diff to a 23 yr old (you) and a 56 yr old (me). You are the same age as my son and he won't take my advice either until much later. At 23, I was struggling with every penny too so I do understand. You have the advantage of youth because most of us want to see young people succeed at something like you are doing so we want to help them. By the time you get to my age, people think you should know it by now.
I always thought my son had absorbed the boating stuff he saw me do but I now realize how much he doesn't know he doesn't know. Yesterday we were working on my Tolman Skiff and he held up a bolt and I said, "looks like a 8-32" and he had a puzzled look cuz he didn't even know what that meant.
My sailing advice is to not beat yourself up mentally over stuff you are afraid to do. Most of the time it is your inner common sense operating even if you logically tell yourself you coulda done it.
So, good luck and I hope we do cross paths cuz I want you to succeed.
Old 05-20-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

"Stay out of my way those of you on the other end of this discussion. I have nothing further to comment to you.
Harborless, OUT!"

Harborless, I am on your side.

Google hypomania if you will. Here is a link

I know how it is , I have a touch of it too, but very mild. Some great people have it. There are pills you can take. Please be safe.

Kindest Regards

Sal

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 05-20-2013 at 05:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sal Paradise For This Useful Post:
chef2sail (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Nothing better than the poster to prove the point time and time again.

Your title "My horror story". Your words. Almost lost the boat, hit the bridge. Your words. You were shaking. Your words

Good luck to you since you at least have the sense of adventure. With the attitude you have you will have no shortage of adventures for sure. Fair winds Harborless. Stay away from the Chesapeake, we and all of our bridges, boats and environment will all be safe here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-20-2013

misfits is on a distinguished road

Harborless, this is a great story.
I for one commend you for putting this out here & being as honest as you've been. I hope you get your boat sorted out & the rest of your trip goes smoothly.
Old 05-20-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
That li'l YSM8 is a simple engine and should be ultra-reliable.
Describe "running away" Does it happen only in gear or does it ever happen in neutral?Could it be a situation of the shift button jumping back into neutral and then speeding up cuz no load?
Why doesn't your choke cable work to shut her down? Even if the cable doesnt work you can go in the cabin and manually do it rather than putting something over the intake.
Get to know yer engine and eventually will fall in love with it for what it is, a simple piece of equipment that works most of the time with the right maintenance. Be sure you know how and why to bleed the fuel system. Do it numerous times so you know what to look for with air on the lines. Be sure you know how to change your intake impeller (it has been changed hasn't it?) and take a spare impeller. Take a spare water pump /alternator drive belt (they are prob separate). When starting up, ALWAYS look behind for the cooling water coming out the exhaust. What color is your smoke?
There is no real exciseable patter to discern. Ive ran the engine hours with no issue. Ive run it two minutes and it run away. There is no pattern other than a flucuating of rpms followed by a sudden and immense upswing in rpms known as run away.
It has happened in neutral as well, which is so much more dangerous since it would rev up until explosion. The smoke starts white and goes grey to black. Also you can smell diesel and see diesel in the water behind the boat. Choke cable doesnt work bc diesles run off compression not injection. Cutting gas will do nothing, must kill air intake. I do have spares for everytinh on the engine so far as filters belts impellers and gaskets. I purchased a complete anmar kit from french ltd motors. I am blessed to have a family member high up in the boating industry. A specialized yanmar mechanic is coming down to find the problem and solution. Family is a blesssing like no other. No worries about the chesapeake, i lived there before. Too cold for my southern blood. Does that mean i can tell you to stay out of fl? I think you get the crap end of that deal..

Last edited by Harborless; 05-20-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-20-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

I added a fuel pump to remove any air from the lines as well. I just pump it before start up to build fuel pressure and eliminate any air from the lines. I bleed reguarlry. The benefit of this rebuild will be an accuarte log with hours logged for running and maintenance. To this point such knowledge has been impossible to know accurately.
Old 05-20-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Haha. I love it. Sounds like Chase when i told him you cant jump that far.

Listen, i remember those years. Been there too. I was the guy out sailing hobies too. Been there done that.

I have avoided the insurance thing because i have a slightly different view than my brethren. I really couldn't care less if you carry it for your boat. Your decision. There was once a saying amongst cruisers that you know you were ready to go when you dropped insurance. I just met another awesome couple with kids that said insurance is a joke in s america. They just sailed from sf to marathon with two boys on a catalina 38... So i take them serious. Other friends of ours on a panda 38 (expensive boat) sail without it.... For the moment. Now listen to the caveat:

I have do e this for a long time. The world is changing. Many marinas and even mooring fields require insurance in the us now. The last two we have used even require you to list them as payees on the policy. No kidding. If not, good riddance.

Keep that in mind on your travels. I actually wish you the best. Heading up your way in next 60 days. Hope to see ya out there. Take a deep breath and have a beer. It all works out, bro. Get your boat together and get out there. You ain't the first person that screwed up or had problems. Builds character.

Just don't hit my boat!! (Snicker)

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 05-20-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-20-2013

OPossumTX is on a distinguished road

If your engine is running away and cutting off the fuel does not stop it, it is getting fuel some where else!

Most likely is source of uncontrolled fuel is crank case oil. One engine with an oil bath air filter would run away if the oiler (AKA idgit!) over filled the oil bath air filter.

If the engine is blowing oil out of the crank case vent back into the intake, check to make certain that the crank case is not over filled. You may even have the wrong dip stick in that thing. If the level is OK on the stick, see if you can find another engine like yours and compare them.

Another possibility is the baffle in the crank case vent line may by improperly assembled, parts missing or? Check the parts you have against the manual to make sure yours is put together right.

I have also seen diesels runaway when other fuel is introduced with the air. Natural gas can do it, even paint fumes if concentrated enough. If you are squirting MMO into the intake to loosen stuck valves or fogging oil preparing for storage, know that a diesel will treat anything flammable as fuel if it can get into the cylinder and will burn.

My diesel experience is with heavy equipment and some smaller stationary engines, generators, pumps and such. Over filling the crankcase can lead to a runaway that is only stopped by restricting the air as you say. Some engines have a cable operated emergency shutdown damper on the air intake for just this problem. I have shutdown smaller engines as you did by putting my hand over the intake. Gosh that thing can suck can't it!

Have FUN!
O'

Last edited by OPossumTX; 05-20-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-20-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Didn't go back to read everything but the runaway may be caused by an accumulation of blow-by oil vapors condensing in a low spot of the breather hose or somewhere in the manifold. Runs ok until enough oil accumulates, the runs away, using the oil up until the next time. Maybe the crankcase is overfilled. A stretch, but maybe your electric pump is "over supplying" the injector pump?

Paul T

Didn't see the above post