Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bljones

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2013

CanadianDave is on a distinguished road
Tango 23 Trimaran

hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has ever had any experience with a Tango 23 Trimaran?
there is one for sale here in Nova Scotia and my wife and I are considering going to take a closer look and schedule a inspection but the boat is currently a 3-4 hr drive one way and I was looking online for some additional information on this model. I've never sailed on a cat or a trimaran before and I'm not sure if there is much of a learning curve from sailing a mono hull.

I'm considering going to take a closer look as I'm looking for a inexpensive first boat and funds are limited and I dont want to go to the bank to borrow money for my first boat. this one is listed for 2500.00 with trailer and outboard, seems too cheap?, and an inspection will cost 240.00. I know cheap boats can end up costing more than a more expensive one but I'm hoping to find something so I can get some time on the water this year. I'm tired of waiting as I'm put off buying for a couple years now do to crap happening every time I get enough money put together to buy one. this time I'm thinking of buying something just to get on the water and if I can get a couple years out of it than it would be worth it. but.... the fact I've never been on a trimaran makes me a little hesitant.

any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Tango 23 Trimaran

It's a Kelsall design, which is good. he knows how to draw a tri.
It is a swingwing trimaran, which is also good- easier to trailer, easier to set up, cheaper slip fees if you plan to keep it in the water.

Trimarans are a different beast- less heel and more speed than a similarly size mono, usually.

it's not a real attractive design, wasn't a huge seller when new, and being older and virtually unknown, they aren't a real valuable boat. $2500 including trailer sounds about right.
The spots to watch out are the mounting points for the ama outrigger arms- they get a lot of stress, and are an easy place for water intrusion. if the core is punky here, prepare for a lot of work right now- you don't want to go sailing with one of these with arms that may pull free of the aka in any sort of chop.
If you can, swing out the amas and give them a bit of a wiggle- if there is a lot of flexing and pulling at the hull, expect to get in there and at the very least bond in beefier backing plates. It's not tough work, but it is dirty and unfun, if you are expecting to go sailing right now.
Check it out, and follow the "inspection trip tips" outlined here at the top of the page. Save a survey for later- do an initial inspection and if it looks good and feels good, go with your gut.

http://smalltrimarans.com/blog/wp-co.../Tango23-2.jpg
Faster likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bljones; 05-19-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-22-2013

CanadianDave is on a distinguished road

thanks Bljones for the information, going up this weekend to take a closer look at it and my mechanic ( he has a Halman 20 ) found another boat listed for sale in the same area that I'm going to check out. the second boat seems like it may be a bit more my style though. hope to find a deal.

printed the "inspection trip tips" to take with me, and packed a bag of assorted tools.

here is the ad for the trimaran

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-v...AdIdZ485906974

and the challenger

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-v...AdIdZ484171818
Old 05-23-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Good luck and make sure to update after the trip
Old 05-23-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

The Challenger is a little overpriced, and no trailer- only a cradle, so factor in your transport costs to get it to where you want it.
The ad for the Tango 23 is gone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.