Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
1st sail this season.

To counterbalance the "My Horror Story" thread I'll post about my first sail on our Tartan 27' this season. We have owned and cared for her for over 10 years so we know where her warts and moles are and where and when she shines.
She has been in the water since April 15th yet we have not had a chance to go sailing yet. Since launching we have spent about 4+ days working like a dogs on the port side deck re-core project that is largely completed, except for the cosmetic part. Today was a day for sailing rather than working and toiling.
Sailing, despite the low cloud cover and drizzle, despite the fact that we crossed the 1:30 start line 10+ minutes late we had a nice sail and it was great to be back out on the Hudson River. Today was one affirmation of why we own foulies, or foul weather gear. Our boat sails so nicely with a clean bottom and the engine works great with a clean prop. The genny I repaired by 30+ hours of hand sewing over the early spring held up fine too. None of these occurrences were accidents, as we knew what had to be worked on and fixed well before dropping the mooring lines today. The only last minute chore I did was to secure our danforth anchor to it's rode on the bow so we had a plan B or C if needed. Plan A worked out just fine and we even crossed the finish line within sight of the boats that did cross the starting line at the beginning of the race.
Since this was a race in local water and we have been doing this for nearly 5 years now there was not that much thought we had to put into all the complexities and nuances of just doing it. If it had been a transit to another location a lot more forethought and planning would have been involved.
I'm not sure if there is a moral to the story here but one thing is for certain: that after X years of owning, sailing and fixing up the same old boat you certainly get to know her and get comfortable with what she can do.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to CalebD For This Useful Post:
JimMcGee (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Re: 1st sail this season.

Good to hear you are finally actually using the boat for her intended purpose

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-20-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

It was rainy all day Sunday in Poughkeepsie. Glad you got out there anyway and had such a nice sail.

Saturday afternoon was huge fun with a nice south wind around slack tide.
Old 05-20-2013

Pegu club is on a distinguished road

Sounds great CalebD, me and Ct hoops got our first sail in this past saturday, on our new to us Bristol corsair,(our first boat) light winds on the Fisher Island sound starting near Avery Point. we were out for about three hours, a good shake down cruise. it is great to be back on the water!
1975 B24 #578
A slave to the wind
Old 05-20-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
It was rainy all day Sunday in Poughkeepsie. Glad you got out there anyway and had such a nice sail.

Saturday afternoon was huge fun with a nice south wind around slack tide.
Yes, I missed the fair weather on Saturday but after all the work and non-sailing stuff we had been doing but sailing on Sunday, even in the drizzling rain really felt good.
Usually in weather like that you have the river to yourself as few people really want to deal with the rain but there was a race on so we were not alone. Seeing the different weather "moods" on the Hudson is just one part of the enjoyment of it all. Every body of water has these weather "moods".

@Pegu club
Your Bristol 24' is pretty similar to my Tartan 27' and is surprisingly heavy for a 24 footer. Similar vintage also. Good old boats will take care of you if you take care of them. You are in a great sailing area and will find that it has many "moods" as well.
Enjoy!

Everybody has one:

Last edited by CalebD; 05-20-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-20-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

It's about time you got some sailin' time in. Glad to hear everything's OK.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 05-20-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Cool. I'd like to sail with manhattan as my background. I like good scenery and sometimes that includes a great skyline.

Really cool that you hand sewed your sail. I might do that to restore my sail cover. I'll bet your weather only gets better.
The Following User Says Thank You to northoceanbeach For This Useful Post:
CalebD (05-20-2013)