Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: This is awesome, I'm sailing.

Bowman Bay can be pretty exposed. I used to kayak up there (it's the closest kayak launch to Deception Pass).

On the other side of the pass you'll find Skagit Island (one mooring ball, don't use the police ball) and Hope Island (lots of mooring balls and anchor spots) that are a lot more protected. I haven't sailed in that region, just kayaked, but I look forward to sailing there this summer. Actually, there is another protected area just inside and south of the pass.

---

On your winch handle. If it is aluminum you could easily file it. If it is steel it depends on how much it has been hardened. That's a fairly big surface to file, but with a big sharp file it would work.
Old 05-21-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

The winch is carbon.

I hope you read my spell checked version. I need to do more spell checking.

Cornet bay is on the inside. I was heading for that but with all the tacking I missed slack to go through the pass. But I read about this place outside if I didn't make it. Just didn't know it would be so rough.

On the plus side besides the rope on the side of my dinghy snapping I think we're good here. I needed fuel and food so I'm in town for the day.

On the negative I am back where I started two days ago and erased two days of forward progress.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2013
always busy with sailing

What's your next major destination?

I don't think that any carbon winches used the smaller sized winch handle square. I think that feature predates carbon. Does Lewmar even make carbon winches today?
Old 05-21-2013

I was on my way to round whidbey and see some of the middle sound. Poulsbo, seattle. Now I'm thinking maybe go back to the San Juan's since I had to backtrack and see it again before it gets crowded. I had James island, the entire island all to myself a couple says ago.

I didn't like the gulf islands. So when I go back to Canada it will be Vancouver and up the Sunshine Coast.
Old 05-21-2013
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road

Another option for rocky conditions like that is to use a stern anchor to turn you bow or stern into the waves. Of course this depends allot on the situation, how much room you have, how deep it is, how big your boat is, where other boats are, who might swing into you if your not swinging because of the stern anchor, or who might not realize it's there and anchor on top of it, etc etc.

Just use the dingy to put the anchor out where you need it, and run the line over the stern to a winch to pull it in. You likely won't get the boat in a direct line from the mooring to the anchor, so set it off to the windward side a bit. To retrieve it, just release from the mooring and pull your boat back until you can pull it up.

I've done this before and it really quieted the boat down right away. Changed a miserable rolly night into a pleasant one with about 20 minutes of work. Sooooo worth it if you can.

Bowman Bay is right off the straight, and pointed right at it, so although I've never been there, is looks like waves from way up the straight could go right in there. It could be windy quite a ways away and still generate waves in that bay. Even if they are barely visible out in the straight, as they come up on land and the water shallows, they'll be much more evident.

Moving on can be a good choice too, depending on the conditions. It just might be safer to leave after dark then to stay and end up so sick and tired in the morning you make a bad mistake when leaving on the daylight. Just depends on you and your circumstances which is the wiser thing to do, how safe it is to leave after dark. But, the experience you had with you GPS is why I will use them but not depend on them. If I don't think I can get out safely with just my eye's I likely won't go, but that's just a personal preference. I also think about things like should the engine fail, what will I do? And will that be harder in the dark? If you can see well enough, and feel you know the area well enough, and can study the charts well enough before hand to feel you can handle the mishaps in the dark as well as you could in the light, then go for it. Of course that's not a hard and fast rule, just what I like to think through before choosing to head out of or into a place in the dark.
The Following User Says Thank You to IslanderGuy For This Useful Post:
northoceanbeach (05-21-2013)
Old 05-21-2013

I should have thought about that. That's how I learn and now I know. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2013
always busy with sailing

Its also useful to play "what's that blinking light?" in the evening, learning to read the buoy codes on charts. Mentally triangulating them can locate you pretty well on the chart, doing it with compass bearings is pretty accurate.

I have very little experience night sailing, ive just done this exercise while kayaking.
Old 05-21-2013

Heh yeah I was doing something like that too. It was dark and disorienting at times. The rain the most I've had on this trip did t help that!

I use a GPS chart combination so far. I'm not overly reliant on the GPS I don't think. One hard part in the dark was also the wind angle. Seeing which direction it's comin from.
Old 05-22-2013

CBinRI is on a distinguished road

The title of the thread made me think of this: