Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
This is awesome, I'm sailing.

Turns out I really don't need much wind but the last two days have had 5-10 mph southerlies and that's enough to keep me happy. I even had some sun. It's high clouds now but that's ok. As long as there is wind.

Speaking of which wheredo most of you draw the line. When do do the sails go down and the motor on. I've had some really light days which I hate but under 2 mph over ground is when I have been motoring. However I could see myself losing patience with that. It's a funny sport. I can go just as fast in 10 mph winds as twenty. It makes sense but also doesn't.

I also got a me winch handle and it doesn't fit. It's the exact right shape, a star, yet slightly too big. Did I get a bum handle? Do I have defective winches? I thought a second wod be gold since the one I have is a square and has no locking mechanism. I know that things going overboard this summer.

Right now it's not quite ten and I'm doing 4.0 to 5.8. I think the 4 is on a certain tack and the current is less than ideal. Having to tack alot. My destination was only 10 or 11 miles to start and its been two hours. I saw another sailboat heading the same way but he was motoring along the coast so I decided I was much cooler than him.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Re: This is awesome, I'm sailing.

If I am just out sailing for fun then as long as I'm still moving, I sail. If I need to get somewhere then I usually plan for an average of 4 knots, if I start to go slower than that for more than about 15 minutes, I fire up the motor.
Yesterday was a perfect day for sailing, nice breeze out of the south/southeast, my destination was of course also to the south/southeast and so whilst I was quite happy sailing into it, many other boats going the same way were under motor. Did they beat me there? Yes. Did they have more fun? No. Did they use more fuel? Yes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulinVictoria For This Useful Post:
chef2sail (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Everyone has their own low speed tolerance. Do what makes sense considering the circumstances and your mood. What kind of winches and handle are we talking about. Far as I know the pattern has been standard for a great many years, although I have a handle for my windlass that looks like a winch handle but isn't.
Old 05-20-2013

Two lewmar 25 and 8.

8 pointed star holes.
Old 05-20-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Turns out I really don't need much wind but the last two days have had 5-10 mph southerlies and that's enough to keep me happy. I even had some sun. It's high clouds now but that's ok. As long as there is wind.

Speaking of which wheredo most of you draw the line. When do do the sails go down and the motor on. I've had some really light days which I hate but under 2 mph over ground is when I have been motoring. However I could see myself losing patience with that. It's a funny sport. I can go just as fast in 10 mph winds as twenty. It makes sense but also doesn't.

I also got a me winch handle and it doesn't fit. It's the exact right shape, a star, yet slightly too big. Did I get a bum handle? Do I have defective winches? I thought a second wod be gold since the one I have is a square and has no locking mechanism. I know that things going overboard this summer.

Right now it's not quite ten and I'm doing 4.0 to 5.8. I think the 4 is on a certain tack and the current is less than ideal. Having to tack alot. My destination was only 10 or 11 miles to start and its been two hours. I saw another sailboat heading the same way but he was motoring along the coast so I decided I was much cooler than him.
Is the speed you refer to SOG or actual speed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-20-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

My speed tolerances depends a lot on the situation. Am I loafing around the lake with no reason to be home? Then I'm happy to make the boat go half a knot if everyone around me is going zero.

If I'm at Shilshole in Seattle and need to near Port Townsend by nightfall and there is 8mph of wind on my nose then I'd probably motor. That was my friend Matt's predicament yesterday at 1pm. I on the other hand had nowhere to be and so I sailed up to Richmond Beach (south edge of Edmonds) and back with my wife. Wind was 6-7 knots and we kept a steady 4 knots, which makes our VMG around 2.5. While we sailed up and back Matt motored and made Point No Point in less time than our short distance sail.

Based on my limited cruising experience I'd say that I motor if I have a full day planned and can't maintain at least 3 knots VMG (which means about 5 knots SOG if I'm having to beat upwind).
Old 05-21-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Two lewmar 25 and 8.

8 pointed star holes.
Sometime in the early 70's, Lewmar made winches with a "proprietary" sized socket for the winch handle. The intention was to force you to buy Lewmar handles. They only made them for a few years.

I have the same problem, and finding handles with the slightly smaller square or star is very difficult. Definitely aggravating.

All you can really do, is check your local chandlery for old, Lewmar handles. The other option, is to buy an old handle with a square drive, and grind the square until it's small enough to fit into your winch.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 05-21-2013

Nope last night didn't go as well. I was reading the horror story post above earlier and thinking to myself how smooth my sail has been.

Nothing as bad as him but I go to this anchorage about 7.30 pm. It's just north of Deception Pass. Bowman? Anyways they have supposedly a detached float but that wasn't there and two mirroring buoys. Two powerboats were sharing one so I, brig too lazy I anchor, took the other one.

Well I had great wind up right about a mile from the bay , I was tacking all day and took me forever to get there but that's ok because nothing I would rather be doing.
At that point there was more current than wind so all my leeward tacks showed me the same house on the cliff so I motored in.

Nice spot but terrible anchorage. I commented to my friend on the phone how coming in there were these pretty little three foot swells looked like something you could sue if they hit the right shore. Ok I tie up an it in now to the swell and rocking. I'm thinking well this kinda sucks but I'm not near enough to anything else because its almost 8.30 at this point and I can't get through deception on this current.

I blow up the dinghy and take the dog to shore and its fun, weird landing the dinghy in these waves. Dog is scared. When we go back to the boat it has decided to face side to the swell now. I don't know where this swell is comin from. There's no wind.

Things are really rocking. Like violently now. So I have to crawl on deck. I'm starting to worry its going to damage something. Dog is more scared and I'm now seasick and getting worse. In Hawaii I would build up immunity to seasickness after three days but since it's been so calm here I guess I haven't. I don't know what to do. I feel like crap so I try to lay down but it's rocking at like 35 degree angles sometimes and stuff is banging around.

I don't want to go anywhere since its just me and dark and there were alot of rocks hidden around the entrance. I see the power boaters on deck undoing their lines and turn on the running lights.

I get up and start getting things ready to go an can barely stand and the dinghy is lashed backwards to the side and getting water in it but immrockin so bad it's all I can do to get out.

I start the engine and GPS and go. The engine is having trouble staying in the water. I like my engine and I'm lookin I make sure it keeps sucking in water I sit on the tran to hold it down.

Long story short I make it out slowly, I don't know how the seas are this messed up with no wind, the dinghy get torn from the side but I manage to make four passes and finally get it on the bow and deflated. How I saw it in the dark ill never know. Gps batteries die and i get new ones in and it doesnt know where i am anymore. I take the bateries in and out several times and finally it does. And im narrowly avoided willams rock off Allan island while doing this.!It's now raining but at least the wind picks up so I hit the current in the middle of Rosario and get the main up and start really moving. Spray and everything. Favorable current for heading north.

3 hours later I make it. Kind of fun actually except for the seasick part. Did I make the right decision?

Last edited by northoceanbeach; 05-21-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-21-2013

OPossumTX is on a distinguished road

Or find a machinist to mill two sides down to make it a smaller square. A file also works but it works on your calluses as much as it does on the winch handle.
Old 05-21-2013

Could I slowly hand file it?