Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2004

sadie14 is on a distinguished road
Regatta Pointe - Bringing the Light (HA)

Staff at Regatta Pointe spent yesterday in a meeting at the Ritz Carlton to determine how to bring Jesus to the boaters.

They didn''t have anything more mundane to discuss, like how to fix the broken wooden docks, how to get the bathrooms clean, what other services can be removed or worsened. They missed a golden opportunity to discuss how cleanliness is next to Godliness.

Glad to see that my rent money is being used to provide me with important boating services.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2004
Banned

bwalker42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sadie,
Were you there at the meeting? If not, how did you come by your information, and how do you know of it''s accuracy? or if the source is reliable?

Have you ever done any property management? If so , were you successful?

Brenda
Old 06-25-2004

Shooteroo is on a distinguished road

Brenda,Brenda, Brenda, calm yourself!!
I have been in management for most of my working years, many years in property, and a few in marina management. Both quite successful.
I must say, there are but a few similarities between the two.
I have seen the management of Regatta Point evolve over the past several years, and am surprised, and disappointed, to see it take the turn it has. A marina IS NOT a hotel, shopping center, or apartment complex, and requires a whole different set of skills to manage properly.
Pegatta Point has lost many long time (5-10 years)slip holders in the last couple of months, and will surely lose more as leases expire.
This is a true report card on the management in place today.
Old 06-25-2004

MadBoater is on a distinguished road

I am a slipholder at this marina, and I, too, am very discouraged at the turn it has taken. The current administrator, Laura, is extremely rude and hostile, as well as completely ignorant of boaters'' and marina issues and requirements.

Unless things change, I will not renew my lease.
Old 06-25-2004

CapnK is on a distinguished road

MadBoater, Not to mention the boaters who have heard what has happened at RPM that won''t come because of the it. The word is definately out, not just in this forum, but "The Coconut Telegraph", if you know what I mean.
Old 06-25-2004
Banned

bwalker42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dearest Shooteroo,
I''m glad at your success. My point is expressed in your success. you have been successful in both, in spite of the differences.
Change is inevitable as one person takes over any property whether it be commercial, residential, or otherwise. As each is it''s own animal, so to speak, there are simalar basics;
customer relations
budget controll
managing employee''s etc.
And some things are beyond controll such as inflation. I''ve noticed myself that prices everywhere have gone up across the board.

In my professional opinion, I think it would be best if marina clients would put their legitimate complaints in writing 1st to the leasing personnell, then the manager if there are no results, then the supervisor if there is one, then the owner. Follow up phone calls are appropriate with each step.

I am sorry that there are problems there, and I wished that I could help. I saw the marina at their website and it looked nice to me. I think it''s a shame that there is so much strife and that a little bit of kindness would go a long way, keeping in mind that angry words stir up strife, and kind and gentle words defer an angry spirit.
Old 06-25-2004

kokopelli9 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey, Sadie14...go ahead and vent on here to your heart''s delight..I, for one, am enjoying the exchange and the knowledge that word of mouth goes a long ways. And I don''t care if you''ve ever been in management or not...that does not mean that you don''t have a right to be treated fairly or that your feelings are not valid...afterall, they are yours!

Kokopuff
Old 06-25-2004

Bwalker42: RE your words: "I saw the marina at their website and it looked nice to me."

The marina website has not been updated since the previous dockmasters were let go. I''m not sure they are aware they have a website. The photos on the site are of the previous dockmasters as well. They were very nice people and are admittedly a hard act to follow. Further, the website does not show the dilapidated state of the wooden docks; the water depths are misrepresented (it is much shallower), and the rates have changed.

RE: "I think it''s a shame that there is so much strife and that a little bit of kindness would go a long way, keeping in mind that angry words stir up strife, and kind and gentle words defer an angry spirit."

It would be helpful if the person visibly running the marina were a nice person, she is not. Rude and hostile were words used by a previous poster, and they are accurate, as well as aggressive and typical "bulley". Certainly not the type of person you would normally put in a customer service/relations position.

RE: "I am sorry that there are problems there, and I wished that I could help."

I wish you could help, too.

I''m sure there are many ways in which landbased property management is similar to marina based. But the marina also requires more knowledge of the sea: the cardinal points (N,S,E,W), port and starboard, tides and winds, currents, water depths, how boats behave, understanding weather, tying off lines on cleats, etc.

Customer service requires that you understand what your customers need, and to do that in this environment you have to either already be a boater or you need to be open to learning what those needs are. To learn, you need to be able to admit that you don''t know.

At this marina, every single person that had knowledge of boating was let go or resigned due to the change. The blind are leading the blind, and they''re about to walk off the pier.

Have you ever tried to tell someone who "knows everything" that they don''t? Ever tried it with an arrogant and hostile person? You don''t get very far.
Old 06-25-2004

Thank you, kokopuff.
Old 06-25-2004

CapnK is on a distinguished road

AMEN Sadie!!!!!!!!!!