Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road
Re: Young people and adventure

northoceanbeach: Glad we are on the same page, it is a discussion, not an argument! All of your points are 100% valid, and I don't think that anyone is arguing that sacrifices wouldn't have to be made. As to soccer practice...how is your kid going to get to soccer practice if you are in the middle of the Atlantic ocean with them on board!? Keep 'em with you in the boat and home school 'em while traveling, and they aren't likely to get the plague from school either.

Risk...well...risk is all the eye of the beholder, no? I may not want to have a small child onboard a boat with a beginner trying to singlehand around my local lake, but I may be fairly okay with a conscientious and experienced open ocean sailboat racer taking that same small child on a boat around Cape Horn.

I'm laughing at my mind's picture of a dude with 20 dogs on a sailboat right now...wiener dogs, because, why not?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Yeah same page. I hope people don't read what I wrote I think I'm pissed off. I know some people on some forums get all worked up and passionate like especially like political stuff.

I'm not like that. If people want kids that's fine by me. Doesn't bother me at all. I just like to discuss. Plus I decided its Internet, dog walking, laundry, boat waxing, electrical repair, stock up on food, drink coffee, walk dog, ride free marina bike, put on new jib thing day.
Old 05-22-2013

hillenme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys05 View Post
I think right now I feel about the same about jobs as northoceanbeach does about kids. I've got a job, and sure, the steady income is nice. Its definitely all about living for the weekend and the scarce vacations though. I acknowledge my bias in that I don't particularly LIKE my job and am certainly not fulfilled by it.
Wow, we do have a lot in common, haha. Especially when I first started my job it was all living for the weekend. Even now I am still 1 year away from getting 19 days off a year instead of the 14 I get now - throw in a doctors apointment, apartment search, etc and pretty quickly you get 10 or 12 days to see the world outside your office. I've used that time to bareboat in all the Windward Islands and BVI, horseback ride along the burren in Ireland - some amazing stuff, but in the corporate enviroment in a position with no travel, you often feel like you are craming all your real living into 10 days a year... Ridding yourself of unneeded material possessions is a good start. I traded in owning a car for my boat, since I can buy a monthly Chicago Transit pass for $80 and not spend another dime on transportation.
Old 05-22-2013

CarpeAquam is on a distinguished road

I usually refer to it as MY boat, but I know someone who would argue with me....

They don't break as easily as you would think either:

He's been boating for almost seven years now... he's almost seven! haha.

(Previously posting as LemonHead)
Old 05-22-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillenme View Post
Wow, we do have a lot in common, haha. Especially when I first started my job it was all living for the weekend. Even now I am still 1 year away from getting 19 days off a year instead of the 14 I get now - throw in a doctors apointment, apartment search, etc and pretty quickly you get 10 or 12 days to see the world outside your office. I've used that time to bareboat in all the Windward Islands and BVI, horseback ride along the burren in Ireland - some amazing stuff, but in the corporate enviroment in a position with no travel, you often feel like you are craming all your real living into 10 days a year... Ridding yourself of unneeded material possessions is a good start. I traded in owning a car for my boat, since I can buy a monthly Chicago Transit pass for $80 and not spend another dime on transportation.
Yep, the corporate environment is rather soul crushing. We've mostly used our vacation time to go skiing in the winter and hiking/backpacking in the summer (generally in Colorado). Going to be using some to take our boat down to Kentucky lake next week (provided the weather holds), and we are strongly considering doing bareboat cruising certification courses down in the Virgin islands this winter. I wish that we could get away with not having vehicles, but currently we live out in the country away from the city (which I wouldn't trade for living in an apartment...), but at least currently my wife and I are able to ride together 90% of the time to work since she drives right past my employer on the way to hers, saves a good chunk of change and means that our second vehicle can be a big one that is capable of pulling our boat since I don't have to drive it everyday!
Old 05-22-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

It all comes down to how much life you need to trade for money. We all need to trade life, as measured in time, for resources, as measured in money. The trap too many of us (me included) fall into is turning wants into needs. The more we do that, the more life we unnecessarily give away.

There's no one answer, and there's certainly no right answer that fits everyone. But as the oft-cited cliche goes: on your death bed, are you going to be wishing you'd spent more time making money? Probably not ... unless you starved or froze to death .

On the issue of holidays, we in the US and Canada need to realize we're completely nuts. We get far fewer holidays, on average, than just about anyone else in the developed world. From a recent study:

"The two North American states, Canada and the United States are amongst the least generous nations when it comes to statutory holidays."

I remember attending a tourism conference and a speaker got up to tell everyone about these interesting experiential packages that embedded visitors right in communities they were visiting. This was a Canadian company, but when someone asked why the company wasn't marketing their packages to Canadians or Americans the speaker said it was b/c we just don't get enough time off work.
Old 05-22-2013

CarpeAquam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys05 View Post
Yep, the corporate environment is rather soul crushing.
No kidding... Why do you think I'm on sailnet so much! Haha. I'm lucky that I mostly enjoy what I do, but it's sad that sitting in a cubicle for 50% of our life is the norm. We all have choices, but it is looked down on if you don't go to college these days and then you are stuck with a large amount of debt that would make it very hard to go out and sail the world. I'm on the water most days after work and every weekend, so I have no regrets, but I understand how that isn't an option for a lot of 20-somethings.

Enough of my ramblings for the day... I have a boat to go work on!

(Previously posting as LemonHead)
Old 05-22-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Good for that 23 year old kid out on his adventure.

I think the most important part for doing something like that(if you honestly crave that adventure), is just a lack of fear.

And it's easier to be fearless when you're young(for me anyway).

We took off for the better part of a year on a 28' sailboat on the east coast and Bahamas, and had a great experience. We didn't have kids, but took our dog.

3 years later, we did have kids(2 in fact), and did a similar trip again. That was also a great experience. We had to spoil a good sail from the Bahamas and up the coast, to go into Charleston on that trip. We were out of diapers.

That was enough of that type of adventure for us. We liked it, but I found I didn't do as much sailing as I had imagined. So we've had a couple adventurous decades since, doing a lot of sailing as well, with kids.

One of my biggest life adventures has been my work. I've been lucky enough to be self employed as a design builder and have found it exciting and rewarding(and grueling at times).

That enabled me those blocks of time and funds to do them. It's also allowed me to live where I have wanted to.

We're coming full circle these days with kids in college and my wife talks about "taking off on the boat for a while". It would be a simple coastal jaunt again for a season or so, maybe include our now adult kids moving the boat as well.

I feel our adventure continues.
Attached Thumbnails
Young people and adventure-bahamas-1990.jpg  

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 05-22-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road

Holy Crap you are in the Adirondacks, aren't you.
If that's not the route to Saddleback than I'll eat my hat. I busted my knee badly on that climb a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
At 57 and 55

You just have to keep making time to play between making money and keep some balance in your life BUT that was one steep ass trail
Old 05-22-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road

There's no right approach to being young.

I spent my 20s in graduate school, working until midnight every night and setting my alarm clock for 6am every Saturday so I could get a head start on studying over the weekend. I envied my friends who were footloose and bumming around the world *and* my friends with real jobs (and health insurance!) but it never seemed an option for me. I had undergraduate loans that required a real income to pay back and a drive to do research that wasn't going to be possible without an advanced degree.

Was it worth it? Absolutely. I get up every day excited about what I do, surrounded by other people excited about what they do. I make a nice income doing work I genuinely enjoy. Compared to many of my peers who seemed to be having a much better time when we were all in our 20s, I'm enjoying life much more now.

Which is a longer way of saying - there's no one path to happiness. For some of us, the sailboat comes later, and that's okay.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emcentar For This Useful Post:
Minnesail (05-22-2013), Rhys05 (05-22-2013)