Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Young people and adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post

There are worse things in life than going out sailing with your kids. It's all the extra work you have to do to make that possible. To pay for them. That money could find your adventures.
It's a monumental decision an the worst one you can make to make you sailing dreams a reality.
I'm not criticizing anyone's choices but don't be fooled into thinking that you can have kids and take off for a year around the world. That door is closed for a long time. Maybe forever.

You should probably stick to posting about stuff you might actually know something about...

Like East coast inlets, perhaps?

http://www.cruisingworld.com/blogs/h...er-than-ever-0
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Very funny. You're the second person that's said that. I've been to Florida like thirty times. I've been in the water there.
Old 05-22-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Quote:
don't be fooled into thinking that you can have kids and take off for a year around the world. That door is closed for a long time. Maybe forever.
That is a silly statement. There are plenty of people doing it with kids. Limit yourself -- not everyone else.
Old 05-22-2013

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

Before my first was born, I was totally ambivalent about kids but when I first held her, it was "WOW, this is magic" and what I wanted thereafter was far different and much better than anything I knew of before. I have never felt my kids limited my activities in any way.
Your job is far more likely to limit what you do, kids are very flexible. Don't worry about having kids, worry about whether your job is good enough for you.
Old 05-23-2013

Quote:
Very funny. You're the second person that's said that. I've been to Florida like thirty times. I've been in the water there.
My point was not about East coast inlets, of course, but rather that you obviously have not done nearly enough cruising (or even just reading about cruising, for that matter) to appreciate the absurdity of your assertions I quoted regarding sailing with children...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 05-23-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-23-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
You should probably stick to posting about stuff you might actually know something about...

Why Sailing with Kids and Living Aboard is Easier Than Ever | Cruising World
Then maybe you should stick to something you know about??

like raising up a bunch of well adjusted kids to adulthood, perhaps?

Old 05-23-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post

Why Sailing with Kids and Living Aboard is Easier Than Ever | Cruising World
That was the worst article I've read. It was super short and one paragraph said its hard to get families out here, there are usually stretched thin.

The main example was a lady who was wkdowed at 35 with 5 kids. Most single mothers of five kids probably don't have the luxery of sailing all summer don't you kind of think? And it was a powerboat.
Old 05-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Then maybe you should stick to something you know about??

like raising up a bunch of well adjusted kids to adulthood, perhaps?

LOL! Yeah, but one certainly does not have to have raised a family, to have observed that there are definitely people out there cruising with kids, and doing so quite successfully...

These young Canadian girls I met in Belize, for example, were typical of the overwhelming majority of cruising kids I've encountered... Far advanced beyond their peers living a conventional lifestyle in terms of maturity, social skills, and ability to interact and converse with adults of all ages...

MikeOReilly and Sal Paradise like this.
Old 05-23-2013

Quote:
That was the worst article I've read. It was super short and one paragraph said its hard to get families out here, there are usually stretched thin.
it was a blog post, not an "article", excessive length is not generally a feature of such... Perhaps you should read it again, you obviously missed the links provided to the blogs of 30+ families currently out cruising... But, yeah, keep trying to convince us that it's not possible to take off for a year or more to go off sailing with kids...

Quote:
The main example was a lady who was wkdowed at 35 with 5 kids. Most single mothers of five kids probably don't have the luxery of sailing all summer don't you kind of think? And it was a powerboat.
M. Wylie Blanchet did her cruising with her children in the 1920's and 30's... She is hardly the "main example" offered of how much easier in many respects it has become to cruise with children in today's world...

Seems a pity that someone sailing in your part of the world could be so unaware of a literary masterwork like THE CURVE OF TIME - a book that more than half a century after it was written, consistently remains among the Top 10 best-selling books in British Columbia...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 05-23-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-23-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Interesting topic and a fun read. I think too much importance is being placed by some on physical adventure, you know rarified air, incredibly steep slopes, raging water etc.
Also, there seems to be lacking an historical perspective. As I was reading this, I thought about my family tree. My Grandmother was married at 16 (circa 1890) in the wilds of Texas to a carpet bagger, who some time later went back to visit relatives in Indiana and was never seen again. She married again, but still my father was raised by a single parent on a chicken farm and graduated high school barefoot in the depths of the Depression and married during wartime. His sisters married at 15 and 16, I'm sure to escape. He died a wealthy man, but worked every living day of his life, each one an adventure, except those days he spent as an Imigration Officer on the border. Yet he had the guts with four children in grade school to make a change and find a more adventerous, fulfilling life. I graduated college in time for another war and had not the opportunity for footloose adventure, but found plenty of adventure along the way.
Not all of the adventure I found was on a mountain peak or sailing around with my children, but surely there was some of that. I can't tell you what an incredible journey learning to play the cello has been. Likewise I can't tell you what I feel when I look at the photograph on my dresser with me standing on the lazarette of our small sailboat holding my three year old son, watching the sun go down over the Chessapeake.
Each of us build our lives in different ways and you really need to do that yourself paying only so much attention to the advice you get along the way.
I think MikeOReilly has made some very wise statements in his posts, worthy of a second read by you young horses ready to throw caution to the wind and go have an big adventure right now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccriders For This Useful Post:
CarpeAquam (05-24-2013), MikeOReilly (05-23-2013)