Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2013

ScuzzMonkey is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't read this unless you have time . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Yeah, SPOTs sure are becoming popular, alright...

I'd love to have a nickel for every taxpayer dollar that will be wasted in the years to come on needless SAR missions triggered after a SPOT battery dies, or someone at sea hasn't posted to their blog or Facebook page in more than 24 hours... (grin)

One recent example...
No doubt this will be true at some point, but right now, what I hear far more of on the radio are accidental EPIRB activations! Must be at least one a week around these parts in the summer.

DISCLOSURE: I use a SPOT regularly, although friends and family have been well-briefed not to contact emergency services if it goes dark for a while.

That said, I like the fact that it offers that sort of fail-safe option, in that it may generate a false alarm, but at least there WILL BE an alarm if something goes wrong, unlike what could happen with an EPIRB in similar circumstances...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4sailin View Post
I'm a bit confused about not being able to clear customs without meeting Cat 1 equipment rquirements. Is that something very new? Clearly the NOR for an ocean race would include that but is that now so for cruisers? Since when?
Sorry that was a bit of a generic statement - it only applies to resident boats trying to leave New Zealand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 05-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
So, if the officials won't allow you to leave New Zealand for that world cruise, I guess you have a couple options. You could sneak out of the harbor one night, under the cloak of darkness, and maybe, just maybe, you might successfully circumnavigate the globe and make it back alive. Then again, you just might not. Gary
Hey Gary, the point I guess that I was trying to make is that we're being coerced by journos and in my case forced by authorities to have stuff that we don't see as necessary.

As far as sneaking out goes, this is obviously not possible even if it was a good idea because the very first thing any arrival port is going to ask for is the departure documentation from your last port. So unless you are happy to sail non-stop around the world and see nothing but ope sea, sneaking out is not an option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 05-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
It must be awful to have a wife that keeps trying to get you to spend more money on the boat.
The problem is that my wife would prefer an AIS than a pre-cruise engine rebuild. My expenditure leans more towards reliability of fundamental systems than knowing the name of a passing ship.

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 05-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Fact is that like jon pointed out electronics are cheap.
Paulo
You clearly have a different economic environment to mine

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 05-23-2013

I was in no way intending to bash users of electronics. I have several devices on my boat too and things like depth sounders, autopilot, SSB, wind instruments are irreplaceable.

The point that I was trying to make (and many missed, sorry I should have been clearer) is how a device appears in a magazine as "white man's magic" and within weeks all and sundry and especially magazine journos start saying things like "you should never leave a port without one of these". And the shortest measurable space of time is from the journo declaring it essential to the authorities adding it to the mandatory list.

And it's more about safety devices an anything else. My personal favourite is the PLB. When you fall overboard, it sends a message to some person in California who now knows exactly where you are.

Doesn't know why, doesn't have the ability to send your own vessel back to fetch you, doesn't have a battery life long enough for the nearest ship to reach your position. Maybe I have misunderstood the operation of these toys but to me they're about as useful as tits on a rain barrel.

I'd rather spend that money on a new top-of-the-range feather duvet for my cabin.

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 05-23-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Don't read this unless you have time . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuzzMonkey View Post
No doubt this will be true at some point, but right now, what I hear far more of on the radio are accidental EPIRB activations! Must be at least one a week around these parts in the summer.

DISCLOSURE: I use a SPOT regularly, although friends and family have been well-briefed not to contact emergency services if it goes dark for a while.

That said, I like the fact that it offers that sort of fail-safe option, in that it may generate a false alarm, but at least there WILL BE an alarm if something goes wrong, unlike what could happen with an EPIRB in similar circumstances...
How the hell do you have an accidentals EPIRB activation? I have one! It doesn't go off by accident. Sits in a damned case that cannot go off. BS!!! There are idiots everywhere.

And here we go back to the damned seamanship argument...

Do you know, no kidding, in marathon there is a pan-pan every day! Usually many times a day and multiples.

B
chef2sail likes this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-23-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

I am not that old but when I learned to sail a Loran was a nice luxury. I chartered a boat this week and one of my crew had 4 GPS in his bag. Just in case the wind picked up, the fog rolled in and the our home port became unfamiliar, I guess. His GPS came in handy when we needed to know when we far out enough to empty the head.

What irks me is someone who buys all the toys they can for a boat they never take out of the bay or sail if it the wind is greater than 10 or the temps are less than 70 or there is any percip in the forecast, then mindlessly stares at a chart plotter while sailing on a beautiful day. I was once on a boat in the Bahamas as crew on a passage in between islands. The skipper had some high end software on his laptop and was staring at it following the magenta course line while motoring the whole way. I doubt he understood the navigational theories beyond keystrokes or could read a paper chart.

My biggest concern is people who buy electronics and let it do all the thinking for them, what happens in a power failure? I would be even more annoyed if the state forced me to stock my boat with high end equipment just to leave the dock.
Old 05-23-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
I am not that old but when I learned to sail a Loran was a nice luxury. I chartered a boat this week and one of my crew had 4 GPS in his bag. Just in case the wind picked up, the fog rolled in and the our home port became unfamiliar, I guess. His GPS came in handy when we needed to know when we far out enough to empty the head.

What irks me is someone who buys all the toys they can for a boat they never take out of the bay or sail if it the wind is greater than 10 or the temps are less than 70 or there is any percip in the forecast, then mindlessly stares at a chart plotter while sailing on a beautiful day. I was once on a boat in the Bahamas as crew on a passage in between islands. The skipper had some high end software on his laptop and was staring at it following the magenta course line while motoring the whole way. I doubt he understood the navigational theories beyond keystrokes or could read a paper chart.

My biggest concern is people who buy electronics and let it do all the thinking for them, what happens in a power failure? I would be even more annoyed if the state forced me to stock my boat with high end equipment just to leave the dock.
The answer to your question goes to its core. How many people do you know or better yet hw many people do you think [/QUOTE]let their electronics think for them ?[/QUOTE]. Very few . What makes you assume they can't read a chart or understand navigational theories. Most I know have purchased electronics as a supplemental navigational aid to their charts and are quite adept at reading them

I agree with Omatakos (Andres) statements though about the marketing of "must have" for safety as ths not so either.

I am trying to figure out why this stuff irks or concerns you how much electronics someone else has and what they decide to put on their boats. Why does it bug you how many times someone else uses thir boat.
Just enjoy your own boat and your own decisions what you purchase for it.

Sailing is the name of the game, no matter how everyone decides to do it.

Dave
dvuyxx and travlineasy like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 05-23-2013 at 10:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
travlineasy (05-23-2013)
Old 05-24-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Chef2sail
"I am trying to figure out why this stuff irks or concerns you how much electronics someone else has and what they decide to put on their boats. Why does it bug you how many times someone else uses thir boat.
Just enjoy your own boat and your own decisions what you purchase for it.

Sailing is the name of the game, no matter how everyone decides to do it."

I guess it irks me when I am clawing my way to weather in 25 knots of wind, against a strong current in 8 to 10 foot seas, on a starboard tack and some guy (on a brand new boat with every conceivable bit of modern technology), on a port tack, close reaching, makes me avoid him, between islands in the West Indies! Or when I'm tacking up the Charleston waterfront and some guy is covering me to windward forcing me to jibe an 84' three masted schooner and 40+ passengers aboard. I guess it irks me when some idiot is dragging down on me in the middle of the night.
I couldn't care less how often someone uses their boat, but when they do, they should not be a menace to others out there. No amount of costly equipment can replace good seamanship, courtesy and plain old common sense.
chef2sail likes this.