Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes
  • 11 Post By Capt.aaron
  • 1 Post By rockDAWG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Key West to Guanaja

We made it to Guanaja from key West. We sailed off the dock with a full main and Asym Spin. in light winds. My 72 year young father in law and I, along with our new Capehorn wind vane made the 7 and 1/2 day voyage with out incident in realitvley good time, considering we had no engine and were becalmed 3 times for about 6 hours each. I tried to post some pictures. The Capehorn windvane took some tuning and a learning curve. We did'nt touch the tiller the last 200 miles. The first few day's we had to baby sit it. We named him Leroy. We had to hold leroy's hand some times, but he took all the fight out of the helm until we figured out what we were doing wrong with setting his course. The approach to Guanaja was absolutly beautiful. I dare say that sailing around the bay on the south side of the Island the next day after we arrived was possibly one of my fav. of all time. The reef clearly visable, the mountains, the barrier islands, all make it one of the prettiest places I've ever sailed. Don't belive the hype of danger, the Bay Islands of Honduras are fantasic cruising!
Attached Thumbnails
Key West to Guanaja-478763_4972231899884_2081919366_o.jpg   Key West to Guanaja-407076_4094516180183_64301955_n.jpg   Key West to Guanaja-919724_4972228459798_6532042_o.jpg  

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 05-24-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Capt.aaron For This Useful Post:
Sal Paradise (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Key West to Guanaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
The reef clearly visable, the mountains, the barrier islands, all make it one of the prettiest places I've ever sailed. Don't belive the hype of danger, the Bay Islands of Honduras are fantasic cruising!
Captain Aaron,

Thanks for the report. Always love your style, your thinking and your way of encouragement to explore and push our sailing ground. Just a few years ago, I remember reading others proclaimed loudly: You should not to this or that. You are reckless to yourself, your family, your neighbors, and everyone around you. This was going on and on.

It is so refreshing to see a Captain uses his boat for the intended purpose.

BTW, Off topic. I am thinking to stop by San Andres Island on my way to Colon, Panama next week. It looks like a good place to stop or finding shelter when weather is acting up.
jameswilson29 likes this.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-24-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Brings back memories from 16 years ago when my wife and I spent our honeymoon at Posada Del Sol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 05-24-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Brings back memories from 16 years ago when my wife and I spent our honeymoon at Posada Del Sol.
Yes, That is exactly where I am speaking of when I talk about the south side bay and the great sailing. Too bad, the proprety is still there but no one has opened it since Mitch. Back taxes or something. My house is few miles east of that. R.D. never been to San Andres but every body I know that has loved it.
Old 05-27-2013

beachbm61 is on a distinguished road

Don't pass up Isla Providencia without stopping in. Easy approach, great people. Made that trip a couple years ago. Enjoyed San Andres but loved Providencia.
Old 05-27-2013
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

I know there is no fuel dock in Providencia, how about in San Andres?

Must be checked in by agent?

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.