Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Air Tools and Compressed Air

I like air tools. I have that installed on my Jeep TJ as well as an on-board welder. It is very handy and trouble free I have never seen anyone has that on the sailboat. Why is that?

Go to a junkyard and pick up a AC compressor, make a bracket, get a new belt and install 6 to 10 gal tank (varies size). Done. $150 top.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: Air Tools and Compressed Air

Air tools are noisy, expensive and take a lot of maintenance. And dragging an airline into tight spaces is challenging to say the least.

Give me a quiet, portable, small, inexpensive battery powered hand tool any day.

Just my preference, we all have them.
Minnewaska likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 05-24-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Air tools make my ears hurt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-24-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms is on a distinguished road

Pneumatic tools do not last in a marine environment.
Old 05-24-2013

captflood is on a distinguished road

GREETINGS EARTHLINGS; Hay What Pardon I Can Not Hear you the Compresser is running to keep up the air on my sander do you know sign language (Snigger giggle HA HA) Ear defenders are an opption . AS ALWAYS GO SAFE !
Old 05-24-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

I picked up a portable compressor for small jobs on board. $49 on sale at Xmas I think around $89 regular price. But it's a tool I take to the boat rather than one I keep on board.

I've used it on the boat and around the house for odd jobs. It's a lot easier than dragging out my big compressor and it works fine with my brad and finish nailers (haven't tried it with a framing gun). It should be fine with an air ratchet but you'd need ear protection using one inside a boat.

I never thought about keeping it aboard, but since it only draws two amps you could power it off an inverter (220W continuous, probably double that on startup surge current).

A lot easier than rigging and AC compressor and a storage tank running off your diesel. Not to mention if the diesel is down for repairs you'd have no air compressor.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 05-24-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Don't get many flat tires on my sailboat.... but it would be good for loosening the engine mounts.

Sailnetters are the greatest people in the world!

Island Packet 31
Melbourne, FL
(formerly Rock Hall, MD)
Old 05-24-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

While they there strong points there about as energy inefficient as it is Possable to make a tool

My air drill will use 3 hp of compressed air no problem and I do much better with my onboard 18 volt battery tool recharger

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-24-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
and it works fine with my brad and finish nailers (haven't tried it with a framing gun). It should be fine with an air ratchet but you'd need ear protection using one inside a boat.
I would say that that compressor will struggle to drive an air ratchet for any length of time.

I made the mistake of buying one about twice that size and it won't run a high pressure spray gun for more than about a minute or so and I reckon air tools use more air than a spray gun.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 05-24-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
I would say that that compressor will struggle to drive an air ratchet for any length of time.

I made the mistake of buying one about twice that size and it won't run a high pressure spray gun for more than about a minute or so and I reckon air tools use more air than a spray gun.
Agreed, with two gallons in the tank it would be enough to hopefully break a stubborn nut. The compressor can only deliver about 0.5 CFM at 90 psi. I think an air ratchet on a continuous run uses around 4-5 CFM at 90 psi.

You could use it with an airbrush for touch-up work but not with an HVLP sprayer. It's great with brad/pin/finish nailers for cabinet upgrades.

Like I said it's a handy little odd jobber that saves pulling out the big compressor.

BTW, like your signature line. Arthur C. Clarke is a favorite of mine.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White