Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Re: What are you doing to deter birds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen-deckard View Post
I was gonna respond with pellet gun but was beaten to it :-)

Hire a neighbor kid 2 bucks a bird will do it
I am surprised the PC folks didn't jump all over me. Here is how it is done for real:

Ted's HoldOver - YouTube

Paul T

Gun nuts - YouTube
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2013
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough

Nice, pay a kid two bucks and he shoots your $600 anemometer!
Old 05-25-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I like this one better! Shopping in Texas? - YouTube

Now, back to the birds. Some things, such as owls, snakes, etc..., seem to work for a while, and on certain types of birds. The marinas down south have been able to keep a myriad of birds off their floating docks by stringing monofilament fishing line between the pilings. The herons, gulls, ducks and geese seem to be deterred, but some of the smaller birds could care less. Sail Magazine also had a page of bird deterrents in the last issue, some of which included old CDs rigged to twirl and flutter from some of the rigging. I do know a length of monofilament line strung across the top of the boom just above the sail cover keeps all birds from perching there.

Gary
Old 05-25-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Now, back to the birds. Some things, such as owls, snakes, etc..., seem to work for a while, and on certain types of birds.
Gary
Maybe not seagulls

We can't use snakes in New Zealand because there are no live snakes in the country so the birds don't appear to have the instinctive fear, they don't know what snakes are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 05-25-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Makes perfectly good sense to me.

Gary
Old 05-25-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

The owl with the moving head is freaky. Works on a friends boat. The added bonus is that you will never get used to it scaring the beejeezus out of you every time you come back to the mooring on a dark night with a buzz on.
Old 05-25-2013
Don't sail anymore

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

I always welcome(d) the birds, and when they pooped I just cleaned it off. It seemed like we had a decent agreement, and other boats did seem to get pooped on more than ours (non scientific observation of course).

It's just bird crap, hose it off.
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisncate For This Useful Post:
Ferretchaser (05-26-2013)
Old 05-26-2013

Chartreuse is on a distinguished road

I just got plastic bird spikes from target (i think), around $15. stuck them to my spreaders.

imgur: the simple image sharer

Got a windvane this year as well, so Im hoping that keeps the birds off the mast head. Above the boom, I loosely tie a line from the mast to the topping lift. With the wind and movement, it swung enough to usually keep them off the boom

Ive seen a million things for sale, but the best low budget deterrents I saw are cd's hanging from fishing line, as travlineasy points out. I used garbage bags a few times last season, and they were ok, but they were a bit of a hassle. Ive also seen a guy run those used car lot flags all over his boat...I thought he was on to something until I next saw his boat was painted bird poop white. The cormorants are more of an issue than the gulls, as they are less easily scared off. Im not sure if its legal to blast em with the BB gun, and I dont really want to anyway. Im unfamiliar with bird law.
Old 05-26-2013

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
I always welcome(d) the birds, and when they pooped I just cleaned it off. It seemed like we had a decent agreement, and other boats did seem to get pooped on more than ours (non scientific observation of course).

It's just bird crap, hose it off.

Well, I didn't want to tell this part, but....

If it was just bird crap, I might be agreeable to just hosing it off. The bigger problem is that the big birds catch fish and sit atop the mast to eat them. Seems like certain parts of the fish are hard to hold onto and they fall to the deck. Those parts have incredible adhesive properties and stick to the deck and stain like nobody's business. Also, their droppings are huge. As much as I'd like to establish peaceful coexistence, I don't see it working out. By the way, there are literally thousands of trees lining the shores of the creek. Seems like they should be at least as good a choice as my mast.
Old 05-26-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
Well, I didn't want to tell this part, but....

If it was just bird crap, I might be agreeable to just hosing it off. The bigger problem is that the big birds catch fish and sit atop the mast to eat them. Seems like certain parts of the fish are hard to hold onto and they fall to the deck. Those parts have incredible adhesive properties and stick to the deck and stain like nobody's business. Also, their droppings are huge. As much as I'd like to establish peaceful coexistence, I don't see it working out. By the way, there are literally thousands of trees lining the shores of the creek. Seems like they should be at least as good a choice as my mast.

try the cheap plastic tarps. place tarp on boat below the bird's butt. tie in place. there is going to be wind passing between tarp and boat. there should be no bird poop between tarp andboat.
saves cleaning the gelcoat off your boat. also the tarps DO keep away those big birds.
only difference between me and the other boats in the anchorages i visit is i do not have big bird on my masthead, as do the rest. i have tarps. try em. they work. in 20+kt winds, they are not needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Last edited by zeehag; 05-26-2013 at 04:36 PM.