Where do you want to retire in Caribbean or Central or South America? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Where do you want to retire in Caribbean or Central or South America?

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
We found that the Indian Ocean is the OCEAN. Only problem is that there are not nearly as many land bits as in the Pacific, not to mention the piracy thing, that is improving.

Dawg, I have been retired so long that I almost can't remember what it was like to work. Certainly can't imagine what it was like to like to have time to have an actual job.

The neat thing about Ecuador is the mountainous nature of the country means that you only have to travel a few miles to go from a tropical beach to way up in the mountains. A few areas are not particularly safe, Guayaquil and some of the northern parts toward Colombia but most are great. When we go there we would not follow the standard expat route and try to live like North Americans in a different country. Rather we would live with the locals and work on the Spanish - boy does it need work. Thinking of Cuenca which is a university city in the mountains of southern Ecuador. BTW, we found in Ecuador that bus travel typically costs about $1 per hour. In Peru it was much more expensive, but they have extremely luxurious buses that shame Greyhound.
That is the beauty of caribbean sea, so many islands to explore. But as for Pacific Islands, the flight get back to east coast is long and expensive. Caribbean sea is just the back yard of our house.

In my next life, we want to be like you and June. But for our current life, the situation would be impossible. Being the oldest son, with uneducated and non english speaking parent, and 5 brothers and sister to raise, I am thankful what I have. I look forward to my next life, hope I won't re carnation to a rat.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Ya'll need to look at the Bay islands in Honduras. Goolgle some photos of Cayo's Cocinos. The mountains of the mainland are big and go right up to the coast, and La Ceiba is a short cheap flight back to the states, plus the La Ceiba ship yard has great facilities for cruisers. The islands are all a short day sail away from each other, and each offers a different culture and geologic appearnce. Guanaja with it's seclusion and water falls and desseretd beaches, Roatan with it's resorts and 5 star dining, and Utila with it's party atmosphere. All with clear warm water and natural beauty. I think one can cruise the area for years and never get bored...I plan to any way. Boat is there now, house is bought and paid for, as merchant marine and an equal 2 week on 2 week off sched. At 42 and 1/2 I'm almost semi retired now! If I was'nt busting my a$$ in a Miami ship yard for the next 2 weeks I'd almost belive I was. That being said, look for Dock Bar, Moorings and Facitlty's to come soon in Guanaja, I see a small cruisier Mecca forming in my head as I sit on my dock and look out at the bay.
Aaron, I look forward to having dinner with you sometime this year. I want to learn more about Honduras. Although my view of Honduras was tinted my my friend Paul. His Boss was kidnaped and subsequently shot when he tried to escape.

I always like to invest on some property.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-26-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Aaron, I look forward to having dinner with you sometime this year. I want to learn more about Honduras. Although my view of Honduras was tinted my my friend Paul. His Boss was kidnaped and subsequently shot when he tried to escape.

I always like to invest on some property.
Yeah, that would make you wonder about a place. It probably did'nt happen on the Bay Islands. That stuff happens more in Miami Dade than Honduras. I think maybe living and working in South Fla. has desensitized me from that kind of stuff, and I am equiped with several methods of protecting my self, firstly some good old common sense.
rockDAWG and kd3pc like this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 05-26-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-26-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
That is the beauty of caribbean sea, so many islands to explore. But as for Pacific Islands, the flight get back to east coast is long and expensive. Caribbean sea is just the back yard of our house.

In my next life, we want to be like you and June. But for our current life, the situation would be impossible. Being the oldest son, with uneducated and non english speaking parent, and 5 brothers and sister to raise, I am thankful what I have. I look forward to my next life, hope I won't re carnation to a rat.
I don't know. Don't most large boats have rats? You might get to go around the world?

You're heading out next month? Where are you going?
Old 05-26-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Haha..... No rat, I have been doing lots of good deed this life, I hope my next life is an homosapien. LOL

I am taking a Mariner ketch 40 from Cayman Island to Panama City next week. and will fly home while the owner stay in PC to finish some last minute repair and fixes and reprovisioning. I will be back in Panama of end of June and sail her to Tahiti or at least to Marquesas Islands, before heading back to the States.

I have not committed the whole trip to Philppines via Tahiti, Fuji and beyond. But so far so good.

Fine Print:
Old 05-26-2013

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Guatemala.
Old 05-26-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
Guatemala.
Why and which part?
Old 05-27-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ya'll need to look at the Bay islands in Honduras. Goolgle some photos of Cayo's Cocinos. The mountains of the mainland are big and go right up to the coast, and La Ceiba is a short cheap flight back to the states, plus the La Ceiba ship yard has great facilities for cruisers. The islands are all a short day sail away from each other, and each offers a different culture and geologic appearnce. Guanaja with it's seclusion and water falls and desseretd beaches, Roatan with it's resorts and 5 star dining, and Utila with it's party atmosphere. All with clear warm water and natural beauty. I think one can cruise the area for years and never get bored...I plan to any way. Boat is there now, house is bought and paid for, as merchant marine and an equal 2 week on 2 week off sched. At 42 and 1/2 I'm almost semi retired now! If I was'nt busting my a$$ in a Miami ship yard for the next 2 weeks I'd almost belive I was. That being said, look for Dock Bar, Moorings and Facitlty's to come soon in Guanaja, I see a small cruisier Mecca forming in my head as I sit on my dock and look out at the bay.
Ok, I'm Sold. Reserve me a mooring! See you in a few years. 2 more Oceans to cross, many more islands getting in my way.
Capt.aaron likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 05-27-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Will do. As of right now, I have good holding out front, a delapodated dinghy dock and or a Knee deep, Sea weed, turbulant beach for parking and warm rum out of the bottle. Come one, come all.
zeehag likes this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 05-27-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-27-2013

FSMike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
---
Come one, come all.
Oh my. Careful what you wish for Aaron.
Sounds great, maybe in a year or so.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.