Where do you want to retire in Caribbean or Central or South America? - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2013

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Re: Where do you want to retire in Caribbean or Central or South America?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
In Belize, home site is about 75K.

In their site, land is $8k/Acres.
we were set to move to Belize until we discovered that there are no libraries. Second their idea of "theft" is quite different than ours....

The idea that you had to "enclose" your home to keep patio furniture, outdoor equipment, etc was a deal breaker for us. They just "borrow" things.

Absolutely a great country, as long as you stay away from the "enclaves" where most of the NAs live and demand US like stores, etc.

The diving and sailing are second to none. And we found it quite affordable, especially compared to other parts of the caribbean.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2013

utchuckd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Guanaja....................
Yeah I spent half the morning on google looking up Guanaja and the Bay Islands. Land prices seem very reasonable, wonder about construction costs?
Old 05-27-2013

jim murdock is on a distinguished road

Tulum, Mexico or Panama
Old 05-27-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by utchuckd View Post
Yeah I spent half the morning on google looking up Guanaja and the Bay Islands. Land prices seem very reasonable, wonder about construction costs?
They aren't bad, We just built a two room guest house. Material can be costly getting it to the property, but the labor is affordable and the quality is good. It takes a while to get anything done though.
utchuckd likes this.
Old 05-28-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It takes a while to get anything done though.
They are in the island time. It is hard for a Yankee to get used.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-28-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
They are in the island time. It is hard for a Yankee to get used.
Not only that, but Guanaja is out there. There is one Ferry from Trujilo once a week, which is hours from La Cebia. There are no roads connecting any part of the Island to one another so everything is transported by boat to the property's. The Islanders, when given the chance, will work like nothing I've seen. The wait time is alway's on the building Material.
Old 05-28-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
we were set to move to Belize until we discovered that there are no libraries. Second their idea of "theft" is quite different than ours....

The idea that you had to "enclose" your home to keep patio furniture, outdoor equipment, etc was a deal breaker for us. They just "borrow" things.

Absolutely a great country, as long as you stay away from the "enclaves" where most of the NAs live and demand US like stores, etc.

The diving and sailing are second to none. And we found it quite affordable, especially compared to other parts of the caribbean.
I spent more than a few days in Placencia with a Gringo who has lived there for 17 years. He took me all over there, the good, bad and the ugly. While diving is wonderful, but I won't live there on land. The country is so poor and lack of basic infrastructure. Everything here is just half done and abandoned. The public school is not free. If student wants a test, he has to pay for it. Of course, corruption is everywhere. Something we don't really get used to.

Like all Caribbean countries, The NA and European retirees are living in gated community. The iron gates and cages are all around their house. Bermuda is the only island that did a good job in protecting their people. No outsiders can buy cars or set residence in Bermuda. It is hard for outsiders to purchase properties.

I bumped into a German in Shelter Creek marina in Colon early this month, who arrived in San Andres Island 40 years ago and has never left since. He has set up roots there and factories. I hope I will see him in San Andres, and soak up some local knowledge there.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-28-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Not only that, but Guanaja is out there. There is one Ferry from Trujilo once a week, which is hours from La Cebia. There are no roads connecting any part of the Island to one another so everything is transported by boat to the property's. The Islanders, when given the chance, will work like nothing I've seen. The wait time is alway's on the building Material.
I see.

From Google map, I don't really see roads connecting the towns. Do it has Jeep trails (Forest Road) access some of the remote homes. I assume one must have their own well, generator and septic on the property. What about Wifi and cell coverage?

Fine Print:
Old 05-28-2013
KNOT KNOWN

We have now on the east end, a town water and electricity hook up this year for the first time. We did the water for our pigs, before that it was all cistern, which we still have.They now have cell towers on the hill, and you can get a modem for the wi fi. My neighbors have a sat dish for t.v. There is a road connecting Savanah Bight to Mangrove Bight, but neither town has anything to drive to really. They make thier own cement blocks in each village, but lumber needs to be imported from the Main land. Electricity is expensive, so we keep it to a few lights a ceiling fan and a fridge. No a.c. But on the east end we have the trades to keep us cool. It's simple living, we like it. Every couple of day's we go to the main Cay, or Banaca Town for supplies, but Savanah bight which is a mile walk down a 4 wheel only trail has sundries and stuff. There is a crest trail for hiking the mountain but no jeep trail yet. It's all done by boat. Some guy's use Mules.
utchuckd and wdwright1967 like this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 05-28-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-28-2013
KNOT KNOWN

The House ( note the cistern). Carrying blocks up from the dock to house for the guest cottage a few years ago. The side yard and Banana garden, walking down to feed the pigs.
Attached Thumbnails
Where do you want to retire in Caribbean or Central or South America?-img_9650_0528.jpg   Where do you want to retire in Caribbean or Central or South America?-img_1088_0050.jpg   Where do you want to retire in Caribbean or Central or South America?-img_0933_0141.jpg  

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 05-28-2013 at 03:19 PM.