Where do you want to retire in Caribbean or Central or South America? - Page 9 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Re: Where do you want to retire in Caribbean or Central or South America?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
The agency I used to work for used to keeps an office in St. Thomas (as well as most of the rest of the world). I had only been working there a few months when an internal advertisement came out for the St. Thomas office.

I asked one of the old guys, who had just come in from being station in Puerto Rico, how long it would be before I could hope to get assingned there.

He said, "If you want it, I'll make a call and you'll be there next month."

That office had and has one of the highest turnover rates in that agency. Everyone who signs up thinks they are going to paradise, but doesn't bother to research the realities of the place. I've had a couple of friends get assigned there, and they both came back as quick as they could.

It's not cheap, and it's got a lot of crime, and if you're not from there, it takes a long time to blend in.
It is very different (good and bad) than many stateside places, that is true. I think the culture shock for many is too much for them to overcome. It is also true that it takes time and effort to blend in. Once you are "in", this is a very rewarding place to be...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2013
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarCry View Post
I hope you are frequently using OPBs then. I find them more fun, no maintenance costs and no depreciation.
Sailing other peoples boat has its merit, but it is not for everyone. On the plus side, you get all your travel expense paid for and Per Diem pay. However, ther risk is much higher than sailing your own boat.

YMMV

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 06-04-2013
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Just got back to the States from Grand Cayman Island.

Cayman is nice and friendly. The land is a bit boringly flat but the diving is the best. It is in the middle of nowhere and no place to sail around.

It is not a (my) place for retirement. It is too expensive.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 06-07-2013

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Yeah, I did it backwards. I moved to Central America and Western Caribbean for 8 years, then I moved back to the states to for a little while to see if I liked it. I didn't.
Aaron, can you brief us about Honduras immigration? How long can you keep the boat and/or stay there if you don't own property? Are they lax or strict? Did you apply for residency or it comes with the property? Do people in general welcome foreigners?
Old 06-09-2013

Breezin' C&C 35 MK III is on a distinguished road
cruising area

Bedford Nova Scotia and surrounding waters.
downeast450 likes this.
Old 06-09-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Right here! Mount Desert Island, Maine!

Getting old SUCKS! I am retired and I would miss the variety and access I have living here on the Maine coast. NYC, Boston, DC and Portland are all world class destinations. As a senior I can get public transportation to any of them cheaper than I can drive. Sailing to them is a joy. To the Maritimes, too. I must spend a season in the PNW. With 7 adult children I get enough variety just visiting my grand kids. I have to spend October in Italy to get acquainted with the latest arrival. I did get to spend a week with her in DC, the week she was born, before her dad got posted to Rome. Glad they timed the her birth for the cherry blossoms. Ha! Her older sister, now 4, took us to Singapore for a month. After Italy its back to Arkansas for a Thanksgiving arrival. Two kids still in Maine. The calendar is full before I can make any long range plans and that is before we factor in siblings and friends. Maintaining easy access to all of them is the plan. I have a December arrival I haven't held yet!

I designed and built my house and love it. We abut a National Park, have a trout stream in the back yard, can walk to the yacht club in 5 minutes. There are 60 miles of car free carriage roads to ride our bikes on, trails to hike and X-C ski on right out the back door. The "summer people" go away in September and this place rents high at the drop of a hat. Our second home in southern Maine is waiting when we rent this one. We have a mooring there, too.

I would like to spend some winter months in some of the places posted here. Chartering works. I have lived in the tropics. Lovely but I never felt I would like it full time. Sold the FL house three years ago. I could see taking the boat to the keys for an occasional winter. There just aren't enough of them left to suit me!

Down
smurphny and Sal Paradise like this.

Last edited by downeast450; 06-09-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-09-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I can see the lure of tropical paradises but I live in one of the most beautiful places on the planet already, The Adirondacks. Moving as an immigrant to a place of questionable government where I'd always really be a foreigner does not have any appeal whatsoever. My visits to tropical paradises will be by boat and for limited durations. Everyone complains about America (including me) except for the fact that it's still better than most anywhere else. There are many horror stories about expats losing their shirts in banana republics. Sorry.
downeast450 likes this.
Old 06-20-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Aaron, can you brief us about Honduras immigration? How long can you keep the boat and/or stay there if you don't own property? Are they lax or strict? Did you apply for residency or it comes with the property? Do people in general welcome foreigners?
I just returned to the states yesterday, and as my boat sit's there in Honduras I am deciding on weather or not to sail it to Guatemala, Rio Dulce or pay for an extension on my 90 day cruising permit. I am looking into the prospect of permantly registering my boat in Honduras and am waiting on some detailed info. I'll let you know. I do know it is easier to get things done now, compared to 10 years ago. And the Bay Islands have had certain ammount of import tax lifted to facilitate local buisinesses and foriegn investment. As for the property, my wifes family bought the land 20 years ago, and built the structures before they applied for residancy, which they know have. In general, yes, foreigners are welcome.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 06-20-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-22-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Just got back to the States from Grand Cayman Island.

Cayman is nice and friendly. The land is a bit boringly flat but the diving is the best. It is in the middle of nowhere and no place to sail around.

It is not a (my) place for retirement. It is too expensive.
I haven't been there recently, but I was there working for about a week back in the early nineties. The prices in the tourist areas were killing us and we went driving into the hinterlands and found much more reasonable prices.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico