SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Where do you want to retire in Caribbean or Central or South America? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/99859-where-do-you-want-retire-caribbean-central-south-america.html)

rockDAWG 05-25-2013 06:13 PM

Where do you want to retire in Caribbean or Central or South America?

At first USVI was our first choice. As an American, I guess it is easier. As I travel more and more to other places by boat. Among Bahamas, DR, PR, UVSI, BVI, St Maartin, Mexico, Belize, Colombia, and Panama, I love Panama the best. It seems have everything I need and cheap flight back to the States.

The things are ridiculously cheap. Car rental from major US rental companies is $6 a day. Gigantic Prawn (8" long) is $7 a pound. Panama City is extremely metropolitan and yet the old city is a real charmer. A taxi tour you around is 7$ an hour. :)

I am going back there next week and my wife will fly in to join me to tour around Panama and check out some of the real estate.

What is your plan? :)

killarney_sailor 05-25-2013 06:18 PM

Re: Where do you want to retire in Caribbean or Central or South America?

Not a place to retire to, but we plan to spend a lot of time in Ecuador. Loved it. Along with New Zealand, our favorite places with Grenada third.

rockDAWG 05-25-2013 06:57 PM

You are way too young to retire. :)

I will visit the places you mentioned too. NZ and Aussie are a must. My last crewing was with an Kiwi, a fabulous sailor, he is departing today from Panama with the final destination to Sydney. I promise him that my and my wife will be there either by sea or by air.

NBC nightly news has a short story about Americans retiring in Ecuador. A couple with $8000 a month living in US and then move to Ecuador with a better standard of living, but only cost them $1800 a months. Their medical monthly insurance was $240.

Back to Panama, I took these pictures for my secretary and daughter.

I examine the merchandise. They are no Prada. but hell i am sure the girl can go out for a swing with no problem.

https://photos-6.dropbox.com/t/0/AAD...o?size=640x480

https://photos-1.dropbox.com/t/0/AAD...I?size=640x480

https://photos-1.dropbox.com/t/0/AAC...w?size=640x480

https://photos-1.dropbox.com/t/0/AAC...g?size=640x480

capta 05-25-2013 07:32 PM

I haven't found it yet. Grenada is definitely a possibility, but it's a tad expensive.
I have read a lot about Uruguay, and even contacted a few residents by email, and it sounds like a possibility. It has the lowest crime and corruption rate in South America and they do not require leaving the country to renew or change your immigration status. Land and food are cheap, though I imagine services are not equal to what most Americans are used to. I also found that I would have no problem doing day charters for a hotel, should I need additional income. On the down side, but it's heading that way everywhere in this economic climate, apparently the buildings, roads and power grid are a bit "shabby" as the government has little money for infrastructure maintenance.
Argentina is just a short ferry ride (or sail) across the river, giving one a great change of pace, once in a while.

rikhall 05-25-2013 09:42 PM

Byron Bay - NSW

northoceanbeach 05-26-2013 01:43 AM

Not New Zealand since you said the America's.

Costa Rica. I want to sail and surf. Sometimes I look at the swell I'm sailing on like today and wish it were a wave I was on. Costs rica is also mid price so that's pretty good.

Once I get familiar with more Caribbean islands I may sway that way if I ind one that has decent cost if living and windsurfing instead if surfing.

I've just never been to drawn to the Caribbean. I think I'm more a South Pacific kind of guy. Not just for the surf but the carribean has too much ex slave stuff going on. I wouldn't feel comfortable being such a minority there.

I've never heard anything ba about costs rica. And I love the Pacific Ocean. It's THE ocean to me.

killarney_sailor 05-26-2013 08:22 AM

We found that the Indian Ocean is the OCEAN. Only problem is that there are not nearly as many land bits as in the Pacific, not to mention the piracy thing, that is improving.

Dawg, I have been retired so long that I almost can't remember what it was like to work. Certainly can't imagine what it was like to like to have time to have an actual job.

The neat thing about Ecuador is the mountainous nature of the country means that you only have to travel a few miles to go from a tropical beach to way up in the mountains. A few areas are not particularly safe, Guayaquil and some of the northern parts toward Colombia but most are great. When we go there we would not follow the standard expat route and try to live like North Americans in a different country. Rather we would live with the locals and work on the Spanish - boy does it need work. Thinking of Cuenca which is a university city in the mountains of southern Ecuador. BTW, we found in Ecuador that bus travel typically costs about $1 per hour. In Peru it was much more expensive, but they have extremely luxurious buses that shame Greyhound.

Capt.aaron 05-26-2013 08:49 AM

Ya'll need to look at the Bay islands in Honduras. Goolgle some photos of Cayo's Cocinos. The mountains of the mainland are big and go right up to the coast, and La Ceiba is a short cheap flight back to the states, plus the La Ceiba ship yard has great facilities for cruisers. The islands are all a short day sail away from each other, and each offers a different culture and geologic appearnce. Guanaja with it's seclusion and water falls and desseretd beaches, Roatan with it's resorts and 5 star dining, and Utila with it's party atmosphere. All with clear warm water and natural beauty. I think one can cruise the area for years and never get bored...I plan to any way. Boat is there now, house is bought and paid for, as merchant marine and an equal 2 week on 2 week off sched. At 42 and 1/2 I'm almost semi retired now! If I was'nt busting my a$$ in a Miami ship yard for the next 2 weeks I'd almost belive I was. That being said, look for Dock Bar, Moorings and Facitlty's to come soon in Guanaja, I see a small cruisier Mecca forming in my head as I sit on my dock and look out at the bay.

zeehag 05-26-2013 09:17 AM

i choose to wander for a bit until i find the place ---i love caribean, mexico is awesome in the tropical areas--i dont like desert, so baja is way gone from list--was over 15 yrs ago when i went by car to see some of the place--not my kind of souls living there--aint no mexicans there--only gringos(damnear same as san diego in pricing, too--eeps)....tropical mexico rocks--is beautiful and has areas just like caribean...awesome cool and gorgeous with lower prices than baja, except for haulouts.....

this could well take me a few years to figger out....good thing i am sailing in my home to get there.....lol

i didnt repair my boat before leaving, except for some important stuff, like new engine and deck backing plate so i can anchor--lol...is easier to repair on the way than in usa where pricing sucks and no one without money is allowed to own boats...rodlmao (just ask san diego harbor police..lol they will tell you this in exactly the same words, btw....)

rockDAWG 05-26-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northoceanbeach (Post 1035603)
Not New Zealand since you said the America's.

Once I get familiar with more Caribbean islands I may sway that way if I ind one that has decent cost if living and windsurfing instead if surfing.

I've just never been to drawn to the Caribbean. I think I'm more a South Pacific kind of guy. Not just for the surf but the carribean has too much ex slave stuff going on. I wouldn't feel comfortable being such a minority there.

I've never heard anything ba about costs rica. And I love the Pacific Ocean. It's THE ocean to me.

I am the same way towards the Pacific, since I have never been sailing there. The distance and cost often worry me. But my calling to sail there has come for next month departure. It is likely that I will get there. :)

As for minority, I am a minority all my life and stick out in places I don't belong there. I adapt, move along, go around, and excel in my own way. Last year I sailed to Belize with an owner who have been livingin Belize for 17 years. The locals were so nice and treated me like the royalty. It was uncomfortable to me. :)