Cheap Classic Plastic smokes the fleet in 2013 Down the Bay Race - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2013
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Re: Cheap Classic Plastic smokes the fleet in 2013 Down the Bay Race

IIRC a Cal 20 sailed Pacific Cup (SF to Hawaii) a couple of years ago... It arrived a couple of weeks behind the first to finish; but corrected to 1'st place.

I think too much is made out of the PHRF numbers. These are ratings based on displacement hull designs with the assumption that the boat does not plane. The extremely low, even negative PHRF ratings that are given to larger and faster boats (like maxis, cats, etc) are for their ability to exceed hull speed (plane). The smaller boats will plane or surf more readily than a larger hull and when they do it's going to far exceed it's downwind PHRF rating, which only accounts for it's non-planing theoretical hull speed.
PCP likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2013

anthemj24 is on a distinguished road

Horses for courses. Hobie 33s go downwind very fast, that is what they were designed to do. They still do that 30 years later. If you want to go downhill really fast on a budget, a Hobie 33 or Olson 30 is your ticket. If you want to go uphill fast too, then you might want to look at some other boats. If you want to be comfortable while you do it, you are going to need to dig into your wallet a bit more. I love some of the older boats, I even own one. But you can't compare them with new ones without taking into account the requirements the design is meant to meet.
Old 05-29-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

I'm guessing the owner of Irie, isn't all that worried about where he corrected out in PHRF. You own a boat like that to take line honors and he did that setting a course record that could stand for decades.
Old 05-29-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

There is a reason why there are races, and actual results.

Some love the theories and the numbers, and who should win based on abstractions. (When I was involved in SCCA solo II racing, people did the same things with sports cars: "Well, based on the numbers, this one should easily beat that one..." It did not always work that way in reality: some things in vehicle design cannot be accurately measured. The whole is often greater than the sum of the parts. Also, some of the guys with the most expensive cars were not willing to actually push them to the limit while racing, because they were too precious to risk destroying.)

Results matter.

In sailing, when the wind blows 20-30 knots on the race course, the hype and the B.S. are separated from the reality. These theoretically faster boats are apparently not showing up for the races. The fact is, these 30 year old West Coast ULDBs, the Olsons, the Hobies, the Santa Cruzs, the Moore, even the older East Coast J boats and early 90s racers, are still winning races.

Is it possible that all the claims about technological improvements in sailboats in the last 20 to 30 years is mostly puffery to sell boats, in an industry that is a victim of its own successes in the 70s and 80s?

The marine industries took a left turn after the recession in the '80s in order to survive, dropping value-oriented spartan race boats and dual purpose boats in order to survive. Now, the bulk of boats are either expensive production condo cruisers that appeal to wives at boat shows (and rate no better than the 70s and 80s racer/cruisers of the same LOA), or expensive all-out high-tech racing boats that break fairly easily. A sane boat buyer today asks, "why should I pay X for a new boat, when I can buy a used boat that does 95% of what X can do, for one-tenth the price?"

I don't buy the hype. Outside of Gran Prix sailboat racing, there has not been such a great improvement in production boats over the last 20 to 30 years to justify the greatly higher prices. It is a matter of value. The planing racers from the '70s, '80s and the early '90s racers can still win, at all but the highest levels. If you have any doubts, look at the 2012 Newport to Bermuda race results.

Is anyone surprised that Sabre Yachts just ceased production of its sailboat line? Exactly why would someone pay half a million dollars for one of its new cruising sailboats?

You wonder why sailing is a dying sport, a dying activity? It is not because we sailors are not inviting enough novices in. The marine industries stopped catering to the affluent-but-not-rich masses in the late 80s, and they have been headed down ever since. The other thing you can notice about this past weekend's local races - the Down the Bay race and the St. Michaels race - is not too many people are participating any more.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 05-29-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-29-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

First I sail and race on old boats and we do win are share of silver against for the most part against other older boats when we do beat the modern stuff it is because conditions are just really perfect for us and don't allow them any conditions were there speed advantage comes into play

And I have to add the Zzzoom may be a 1970 boat BUT it is on its third keel and second rudder and has a current state of the art bendy aluminum mast and a full modern 3DL sail inventory

Except for the current sail inventory most of the stuff was done by a deep pocket PO who got tired of the boat and passed it along to the current owner who put a pretty massive amount of effort into putting the boat back into race condition

And none of the other old boats we race against are doing it with old rags they also spend BIG MONEY on modern sails

If there is any kind of balance of upwind VS downwind were getting killed on the downwind legs

On are trip out to port Jefferson last summer which took place on a Strafford Shoal race day (36 mile round trip) we left 4 hours before the start and the Farr 400 in the picture made up the 16 miles that took us 4 hours in about 2 hours and there was really nobody in second place

This season in are area the spinnaker fleets have been divided up by sprit boat and symmetrical boat division's which is pretty much a new boat and old division as it was completely impossible for us at a PHRF 115 to keep up with a J80 downwind if it was above 12 knots ?

We are stuck at 7 knots and there turning at the mark and surfing away at 12 knots

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 05-29-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-29-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post

This season in are area the spinnaker fleets have been divided up by sprit boat and symmetrical boat division's which is pretty much a new boat and old division as it was completely impossible for us at a PHRF 115 to keep up with a J80 downwind if it was above 12 knots ?

We are stuck at 7 knots and there turning at the mark and surfing away at 12 knots
Yes, and the J/80s are now turning 20 years old. When I crewed on an Olson 30 in the Bay in PHRF A2 in the early to mid-90s, we were sailing against some 35-40 footers that were difficult to beat unless conditions allowed us to plane downwind. CBYRA formed a new "sportboat" class for the ultralight and A-sym boats; I am not sure whether it ever caught on.

So what has happened in the last 20 years, other than the prices of new production boats have increased exponentially while performance has not really improved?
Old 05-29-2013

Well

The new J70 is proving to be a good bit faster for one with its 111 something rating

For the most part here older boats still get raced the J44 has a big group with deep pocket owners of course Rambler races here a lot also (the 90 is back in action)

Most of the expense in new boats is all the stuff now somehow needed that we did without on older boats like 50,000 dollar wind/navigation systems

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

Old 05-29-2013

anthemj24 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Yes, and the J/80s are now turning 20 years old. When I crewed on an Olson 30 in the Bay in PHRF A2 in the early to mid-90s, we were sailing against some 35-40 footers that were difficult to beat unless conditions allowed us to plane downwind. CBYRA formed a new "sportboat" class for the ultralight and A-sym boats; I am not sure whether it ever caught on.

So what has happened in the last 20 years, other than the prices of new production boats have increased exponentially while performance has not really improved?
A new J24 today will cost you 60k when all is said and done. A J/22 new today will cost you 50k when all is said and done. A new J/70 will cost you 50k when all is said and done. As far as I can tell, new boats are more expensive because they are new, not because of design changes. Design changes occurred because what people wanted changed. You can race a j/70 with 3, a J/22 needs 4. A J/22 requires someone to go up on the foredeck for jibes, a J/70 does not. A j/22 requires a hoist to launch it, or at least a steep ramp, a trailer tongue extension, and a lot of time and patience. A J/70 is easily ramp launched and rigged. Of course, if you want to race with 4 or 5, and you want to have a v-berth because you want to sleep in it once in a while, and you want to keep it in the water, because you hate trailering your boat, then the J/22 makes much more sense.

I paid $2,500 for my J24. I have put another $5,000 into it between new sails, new cushions, new cabin sole, new electronics, etc. I also put a ton of hours into it, sanding off 30 years of accumulated bottom paint while in positions that would make a contortionist cringe, scraping out 30 year old soggy vermiculite, updating deck hardware and rigging, etc. etc. I think I got a great deal, even though my boat will never be competitive on a national or even regional basis. But it is great for what I need and want. If I had bought it to compete at the J/24 Worlds and gone through all that, it would have just been a waste of time and $7,500.

Horses for courses. Some folks buy new boats and have a reason why. Those reasons don't have to match up with yours. Be glad that some people buy new boats, it means some of those golden oldies are available for sale at very reasonable prices.
Old 05-29-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

I agree. I have always liked the J/Boat line of boats. It is one of the few builders who have stayed true to the idea of relatively simple, affordable, great sailboats
Old 05-29-2013

The J24 is my favorite case as are first new sailboat was a Victoria 18 which was a nice boat on the shallow Great South Bay

But when we moved to Peconic Bay we kept getting beat up and seeing these strange looking boats go by and trust me the J24 was a strange looking boat in 1981

Anyway at the age of 26 or 27 I was able trade in the 18 and but a new J24 with a pretty limited income

At 57 with a far bigger income I find the thought of dropping 50,000++ dollars on a tiny boat a NO GO and cant begin to justify close to 200,000 on a new 30 foot

With the way sailboat sales are going I would think I have plenty of company

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY