SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Self bailing cockpit? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/99915-self-bailing-cockpit.html)

blackflagsailor 05-27-2013 07:54 PM

Self bailing cockpit?

So after buying my second ever C-Lark 14' sailboat, I was given many of the original paperwork with the sale of this boat. In one of the original sales brochures for the C-Lark by Clark Boat Co., it says that my boat has a "Self Bailing cockpit - The cockpit floor is above the waterline, thus insuring instant draining. The centerboard trunk and the holes in the transom well act as an exit for any water that enters the cockpit".

Right, sounds to make sense to me. There are two holes in the transom that can be plugged with those brass and rubber boat drain plugs. With these out, water seems to rush into the cockpit. So, is this only for draining the water from the boat after use, or to keep the cockpit "dry" (ha ha) while sailing? I've never really had much experience with a "self bailing cockpit" on a smaller craft like this before.

sail·ing /ˈsāliNG, 1.n. the fine art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

imasaluki 05-27-2013 09:40 PM

Not familiar with the Lark, but in my O'Day you have to be moving for self bailing to occur. The drain plugs should be plugged in the water.

blackflagsailor 05-27-2013 09:44 PM

Re: Self bailing cockpit?

I was wondering the same thing myself

Seaduction 05-28-2013 08:05 AM

"Self-Bailing" cockpit means you bail it "yourself.":D

Mechsmith 05-28-2013 08:52 AM

My 14' Grunnion will self bail when sailing.

mad_machine 05-28-2013 08:53 AM

I know on my seasprite, the hoses that connect the selfbailers run to opposite sides of the hull. The Port side drain leads to a starboard side throughull and vice versa. This keeps the low side throughhull from backing up into the lowside drain.

blackflagsailor 05-28-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaduction (Post 1036221)
"Self-Bailing" cockpit means you bail it "yourself.":D

Lol :D

luck66 05-28-2013 12:46 PM

I have self bailing on my dinghy, but self bailing does not work very well when going at slow bells. I agree with "Seaduction," self bailing means do it your self.

capta 05-29-2013 12:30 AM

There are inserts for the holes that are sort of like duck bills in shape and only allow water out. Alternately, you could do the same by screwing a couple of rubber flaps over the holes that are kept against the hull by the water pressure, like exhaust pipe flaps, then allow water to exit the boat when is underway.

blackflagsailor 06-02-2013 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capta (Post 1036785)
There are inserts for the holes that are sort of like duck bills in shape and only allow water out. Alternately, you could do the same by screwing a couple of rubber flaps over the holes that are kept against the hull by the water pressure, like exhaust pipe flaps, then allow water to exit the boat when is underway.

There's an interesting idea.