Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2013

talyn1 is on a distinguished road
Pointing Problem

On my 23' Coronado I have noticed a large difference in my upwind ability from my port tack to my starboard tack. I feel like the problem may lie in my shroud tension. While sitting in the slip the mast looks straight and the shrouds feel like they have about the same amount of tension. If this could be the cause, is there a way for me to verify they are the same tension myself? Could there be other reasons for the difference in performance?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road
Re: Pointing Problem

Assuming the mast tune is good, perhaps you have uneven weight distribution. Any water tanks or other items that might be contributing?

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 05-28-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I assume you are pulling the outboard out of the water.

Have you measured to see if the mast is straight, or are you just eyeballing it? You can measure using a halyard to a fixed point on either side of the boat (like the chainplates).

What are you using to measure your apparent wind angle? If it is an electronic wind instrument are you sure that it is calibrated? If it is a windex are you sure that it is on the centerline of the mast? If it is off a bit then it could react differently on each tack depending on how wind spills off of the top of the mast.
Old 05-28-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Do you see a difference in shroud tension from one tack to another? How about the change in jib shape from tack to tack?
Old 05-28-2013

RichH will become famous soon enough

Your rigging tensions must be 'perfect', including the backstay tension in order to be optimized to 'point'.
Suggest you assay your rig tensions by finding your exact mast/rig configuration in the following (there is a section on precise rig tension WITHOUT a tension gage). and also includes the proper amount of 'pre-bend' that should be set into the mast: http://www.riggingandsails.com/pdf/selden-tuning.pdf

..... then if you have difficulty in optimized pointing, then: How to properly RAISE a woven dacron mainsail - SailboatOwners.com ..... to get the proper sail SHAPE and 'helm balance' (so-called weather-helm)

..... then to apply correct backstay tension, which controls the precise tension of the 'forestay' for 'each days' wind and wave conditions: http://www.ftp.tognews.com/GoogleFil...f%20Hollow.pdf so that your boat is not inadvertently 'skidding' off to leeward instead of 'pointing'

Also, if youre not using a FULL set of telltales (luff/midcord/leech) suggest you start here: http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod....0Users%20Guide ...... and when 'mastered' go here:
ArvelGentry.com ---> magazine articles ---> a 'sequence' of articles: Checking Trim on the Wind; Achieving Proper Balance; Sailing to Windward; Are You at Optimum Trim?.

Lots to do, but will all help you 'master' pointing and how to get the 'optimum' pointing ability out of your boat.
Hope this helps.

;-)

Last edited by RichH; 05-28-2013 at 04:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichH For This Useful Post:
GMFL (05-30-2013)
Old 05-28-2013

Thank you RichH, I will look into those links. My problem is that I point upwind fine on a port tack but not nearly as well on a stbd tack.
Old 05-28-2013

c_witch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to c_witch

Last year when I put my boat in it was tacking reasonably well. As the season progessed I found that my tack to strbrd was getting worse all the time. When we finally pulled it last fall I found a basket ball size clump of muscles that had attached themselves to my swing keel very near the bottom. I am assuming it was this extra drag causing the problems.

c_witch
Old 05-28-2013

RichH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by talyn1 View Post
Thank you RichH, I will look into those links. My problem is that I point upwind fine on a port tack but not nearly as well on a stbd tack.
As I was just reminded by one of the most famous and renown sailboat designers in the business; plus, I may have 'assumed' a bit much ..... exactly what makes you think you are pointing better on one tack than the other ????? ... better speed, more heel to one side than the other, what exactly are your seeing/feeling????
:-))))
Old 05-28-2013

I can get closer to the wind on a port tack than a stbd tack. On a stbd tack with the same sail trim as on the port tack I'm also going slower.
Old 05-28-2013
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road

Tie a tape measure to a halyard and hoist it as far as you can up the mast and then stretch it so that the tape measure reaches the toe rail even with the mast on either side of the boat. Take a measurement port and starboard and I'm guessing you're going to see a difference. This will at the least confirm the mast head is centered in the boat, and if not just center it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.