Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road
Re: Where would you cruise to from NC for a week?

I'd go either to Beaufort or Ocracoke. Put in in New Bern and Beaufort is probably (depending on you boat speed) a long day down Adam's Creek. From there you can head out to Cape Lookout Bight or just kick around the banks and Taylor Creek. From New Bern, Silver Lake / Ocracoke is a great 2 day sail with all sorts of opportunities to extend it. Pick a nice anchorage at the mouth of the Neuse and sail the second day across the sound . . .. The Ocracoke trip involves more sailing - Beaufort is probably a bit easier run. Either way, I am getting jealous just thinking about it!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I'm going I advise against staying in the same place for more than a day. I think it's better to spend that week sailing the crap out of your boat.
Old 05-28-2013

bristol299bob is on a distinguished road

If you are pamlico bound here are a few suggestions. You can't hit them all in 5 or 6 days but you can structure the trip around the places that strike your fancy.

Oriental is a good central point to leave, you can launch at the wildlife boat ramp in town.

West Bay. Beautiful white sand beach if you want to dinghy ashore for a Bon fire. This place is empty for as far as you can see.

Bonner bay. Off of the bay river, a desolate little nook with beautiful sunsets. Tricky to get in for a fixed keel, but with your swing keel, no sweat.

South river: this is a good stopping point for your last night on the water. In the morning it will be only 6nm back to oriental. It's a beautiful large, empty anchorage. Anchor across from the abandoned town of Lukens, it's marked on the charts but easy to spot the cemetery from the water. The cemetery is all that's left of the town. Dingy over and explore it.

Ocracoke: a day sail from oriental, west bay or bonner bay. not exactly solitude but its a wonderful long trip across the pamlico. Is a beautiful town with lots of interesting history. Tie up at the park service docks for a night. Check out the museum across the street, walk a mile to the light house, grab something to eat. Stop at springer point, near the spot that Blackbeard was beheaded.

Beaufort: anchor in Taylor creek wake up to the sound of wild horses on carrot sland. mind the wicked current, two anchors never a bad idea there. Go into town if you have a need for people. Beaufort docks will let you tie up for an hr or two for free.

Cape lookout: just magical. Clear water, giant sea turtles, dolphins, and wild horses on shackleford banks. 3hrs from beaufort, out the inlet into the Atlantic.

Bellhaven: a days sail from oriental, bonner bay or west bay. Quaint friendly small town. Anchor out or tie up at the town dock fruit free (with electricity!)

Bath: lovely small quiet town, where Blackbeard lived. Historical, they have a free town dock, but anchoring out is an option too. A day from Bellhaven, oriental.

Rose bay. Another secluded backwater off of the pamlico river. A good stop if you wanting to go from Bellhaven to oriental in two days.

New bern is a great stop too but a long ways out of the way.

Oh and orental of course. Cute quiet town. Anchor in the harbor or tie up at the town dock (though its usually full in the summer)

When are you planning on going?
Hull #5
Oriental NC
Old 05-29-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

If coming and going from Charlotte is part of your time frame, then launching at Oriental would (ready to go by 3 pm) gives you the option of pushing to Bay River, or a shorter day over to South River. (going into South R can tricky if you don't pay attention)

From either spot, you can do Orcacoke in a day. Then it's a question of inside or outside. If you want to sail, stay inside. If you're adventurous, feeling lucky and don't mind motoring, follow the Banks to Beaufort (might make, might not). Or go to South River, then down Adams Creek to Beaufort and the Bight. (powerboats can be oblivious to small sailboats heading in or out the Inlet) Or go past Adams Creek up to New Bern.

A lot is going to depend on what kind of weather you get. The good thing about the Neuse River though is that it is wide enough, any wind will do. And as long as you aren't in the middle of somebody's crab pots, you can pull off to the side and toss out the anchor.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-29-2013

SUVAROV is on a distinguished road

Come to Little River and come sail on my 30 foot sailboat on web find me Lola Art Classes
Old 05-29-2013

tschmidty is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much for the good advice. I think I can make a good week out of the Pamlico. Although some keys lobster is still enticing, and it just won't be the same without the crystal clear water, it sounds like I can make a good trip (literally like two weeks from now to answer an early question) and try to figure out the keys for later this year or early next.
Old 05-29-2013

kdhamric is on a distinguished road

We anchored in Cape Lookout a couple weeks ago for the first time - it is hard to overstate what a fantastic anchorage it is. We only stayed one night, but I could spend a week there and be happy.
Ken Hamric
Downtime
Tartan 3800
Old 05-30-2013

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

I agree with Oriental as a home base, since you will have several choices to go to from there. Don't know if we are allowed to post links, but cruisersnetdotnet has plenty of info on anchorages and marinas, all in map view. Cape Lookout is beautiful indeed. Plenty of restaurants and shops in Morehead/Beaufort area. If you are going there from Oriental, you will have to motor through Core Creek (maybe quickly if you time the tide right). Oriental to Beaufort is only 22 nautical miles, a good bit of that is Core Creek.
Oriental to Ocracoke is 41 nautical miles, with plenty of open water.
Old 05-30-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschmidty View Post
I live in Charlotte, NC and I have about 5-6 days to go sailing coming up soon. Where would you go? ...
Any thoughts?
Yes, the Chesapeake Bay is nice this time of year. It's 5-6 hours to Norfolk. Launch at Little Creek or nearby. Sail to Cape Charles or Mobjack Bay, Great Wicomico or Tangier Island, Solomons Island and back.
Old 06-08-2013

tschmidty is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the advice, decided to head out from New Bern since I could kill a few hours headed to Oriental, however, numerous delays including a half hour looking for my phone (!), made me decide to launch at Oriental. Got the boat in the water without even getting me or the truck wet, nice. Made the arduous 3/4 of a mile over to Toucans at Oriental Marina and had a great dinner. Went up Smith Creek a ways and found a really quiet sheltered anchorage. Now up at the crack of dawn tomorrow to try to make Ocacroke.
blowinstink likes this.