Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Sailing with friends for a week, expenses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post

Different to the other responses... And perhaps as I am cruising full time, when my friends come from Australia (not all of them) they pay for everything during the week they are on board.. All groceries, all marinas, all touristy stuff, all meals out. I have provided the boat and free accomodation a and they pick up the rest. EVERYTHING.

And it's a damn pleasure to have them aboard!

That's exactly how we did it with our friends.. essentially we get a 'better than charter deal' with knowledgable hosts for the pooled cost of expenses and flights (which aren't cheap to the outer destinations) - but still a great deal for us. Being guests of experienced cruisers is a lot less stressful than bareboating in an area you don't know - not so much on the navigation front but on the local customs and practices, esp wrt boat boys, good/bad anchorages, onshore dress codes (yes, there are!) - dealing with different countries' clearance procedures etc...

For that we're happy to pay the whole bubble and ease their budget concerns in thanks for the experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I dont see how it matters that they are smokers. It's the same as if the guy said "wait to tack until I finish my beer"

It's not the smoke or the beer... it's the attitude!
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I don't invite anymore, end of problem. If someone says they would like to go on the boat then I stop and think first.....

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-28-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
I don't invite anymore, end of problem. If someone says they would like to go on the boat then I stop and think first.....
That's what I'm saying. People will stop inviting people. It's a week long cruise. I could see if it was a day sail.

The attitude faster. Understood.
Old 05-28-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road

You can always count on Mark, to not mince words. I thought the same thing though......From your post, it sounded like you were already dreading having to deal with, Mr. " Treat me like a guest" Tack at my convenience... The Financial issues pale in the face of having to deal with a prima donna for a week in tight quarters.
Old 05-28-2013

kmp1284 is on a distinguished road

Like a few others have said, if I'm inviting friends to go cruising, all boat costs are my responsibility(fuel, dockage/moorings, etc.) I'll provide all anticipated meals aboard as well as an appropriate supply of snacks, beer, wine and liquor. I'll usually get a bottle or two of a nice rum or scotch and cigars for a special dinner. Naturally, others will also show up with their own booze and food which I'll never turn down. Onshore, if I'm hosting at my club or a club being accessed through my reciprocity, I will pick up the tab. When dining elsewhere, I have no problem paying but more often than not, someone else will have stepped up. If it's another person's club, they will usually pay. If we do touristy stuff, we'll usually split the costs(or someone else pays as I usually don't initiate that sort of thing). I may go cruising for a week and take care of 80% of the expenses but ultimately, it all comes out even, someone will inevitably come through with an invitation to a ski house or some tickets to a hot sporting event or a nice case of something brown at my birthday or Christmas.
RobGallagher likes this.
Old 05-28-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Friends take care of each other. If someone is freeloading then they don't usually last.

If I go away for a few days with friends I want them to feel like welcomed guests, not subsidies for my trip. What comes around goes around
Old 05-28-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavedancer38 View Post
The other " crew" member tends tobe not as helplful and wants to be treated as a guest, no matter what, even though he knows how to sail. If we tell him we are ready to come about he says " let me finish my cigarette first", so its always on his schedule. I am not so eager to " pick up his tab"" as I would be the other person. But yes, this is a very subjective topic. A week is a long trip.
Why are you inviting this person to spend a week with you? It sounds like you get frustrated when spending a few hours with them, a week isn't going to be relaxing.
Old 05-29-2013

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn

Click your flip flops 3 x and repeat..."I am the Skipper. I am the Skipper. I am the skipper"

From a safety standpoint you ARE the skipper.

You need to lay down the ground rules about sailing regardless of how proficient your guest is or thinks he is. When you give the command "ready to come about / gybe" remember it is a COMMAND. You as the skipper have the sole responsibility for when you want the crew to do something. It is not a debating team practice. IF anyone does not like those rules then kick them off now with a polite "plans have changed" Cancel on both of them if needs be and make alternate arrangements with the one who is welcomed. Or have a pre-departure meeting where you lay it all out in plain English. Pointedly tell your smoking buddy that you expect him to respect the rules.
Captainmeme likes this.
Old 05-29-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Husbands friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Why are you inviting this person to spend a week with you? It sounds like you get frustrated when spending a few hours with them, a week isn't going to be relaxing.
Old 05-29-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I dont see how it matters that they are smokers. It's the same as if the guy said "wait to tack until I finish my beer"
Except for the fact a beer drinker does not spit beer in your direction after every sip. I go out sailing for fresh air as much as much as anything else. I would not want a smoker on board and have quit racing a boat because their was a chain smoker onboard.
Because I don't own and charter I can expect everyone to contribute to the cost of each sail. When I go out on someone elses boat I bring something special to eat and as much of whatever they like to drink.

But that is just my personal financial situation and way of doing business. If i was better off, and had my own boat I would love to have guests come onboard to enjoy a week on me. If owning a boat and cruising it was a financial stretch, i would ask my guests to contribute to the cost of the trip, and would let them know that ahead of time and what to expect.
If a friend has spent days sanding, staining and working on the boat, a week cruise would be on me.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.