Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing with friends for a week, expenses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I think, over time, the USCG has accepted the fact that guests on a recreational boat may help out with food and expenses and doesn't see that as a legal issue.
Title 46, Section 2101 of the US Code: “consideration” means an economic benefit, inducement, right, or profit including pecuniary payment accruing to an individual, person, or entity, but not including a voluntary sharing of the actual expenses of the voyage, by monetary contribution or donation of fuel, food, beverage, or other supplies.

The key word here is "voluntary." Would the USCG bust these guys for asking thier friends to contribute? Almost certainly not, but making trip dependant on the contribution is technically verboten.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

I don't have any inconsiderate friends. Whats expected has been discussed and agreed on beforehand.I'm captain of my vessel and they are guest, crew, companion depending on that understanding.
Old 05-29-2013
Dinkin' Around

Grunthrie is on a distinguished road

As a person without a boat I may have a slightly different perspective: I would be so happy to be invited for a week's cruise that I would not mind paying my share of expenses, even boat related expenses such as dock fees or fuel. Really, you are offering them a week of accommodations and travel, the least they could do is spring for food and drinks. That being said, I think the conversation needs to happen on land before the voyage... having a lovely cruise you thought was free could easily be spoiled by being handed a bill back at the home port, no matter how justified said bill was!
Old 05-29-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

Grunthie says: "I think the conversation needs to happen on land before the voyage." That's the key - make sure the crew have a complete understanding of what is expected of them ahead of time.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 05-29-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

For day sails with people from my sailing club I have the following FWIW:
I have an adequate supply of lifejackets and all of the required safety equipment. If you have sailing gloves, please bring them, as even my “good” ones are worn. Please remember to dress for the weather. It usually feels cooler on the water. Layers are recommended. Closed rubber soled sneakers or boat shoes are strongly recommended. Flip-flops will not protect your feet. Smoking (of anything) is not permitted; there is a 2 drink limit on alcoholic beverages.

I usually have water and soda on board. Please bring something to share such as fruit, trail mix etc. as well as lunch for yourself. I have ginger gum in case you start to feel queasy. Tastes horrible, but it works (so I’m told).
Old 05-29-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteuz View Post
Are you sure that your friends are not (will not be) reading this post? It could be awkward to say the least if your less considerate friend finds out how you feel about his way of participation through this post.
This is a perfect thread for the visitors to read!!!!!!!

"Accidently" slip them the link

You will have guests who behave themselves, work hard and chuck money around like confetti!
Silvio likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-29-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

That could go badly. The smoking guy may not even realize he can be a pain would get offended. The OP didn't really even complain about him but others took up the cause and made him out to be a slacker.

I think you guys have probably known each other awhile and it shouldn't be too awkward a talk. Set the precedent now and in the future it will be taken care of.

Anyone you know well enough to have for a week in your boat you probably know pretty well.
Old 05-29-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

The thread is drifting a little off-topic but I think the OP would be OK with that - some interesting thoughts.

I believe that a boat is no place for a democracy - on my boat I'm in charge and what I say goes.

When it's time to tack a call goes out (from me) "stand by to tack" - 30 seconds later (that's the time you need to put away your drink, get yourself to a place where you can help or out of the way) the next call goes out "Ready about" and 30 seconds later "Tacking". If you're not ready, deal with it. The reason we're tacking is because it has to be done. Now. There is no discussion.

Smokers coming onto my boat are in for some tough times - mostly dealing with withdrawl - there is no smoking on my boat. No matter what.

Whilst we're talking about drinks and their effect on passengers, what about prescription drugs? We had a crew person who sailed an ocean passage with us and I discovered after 3 days of her "sleeping really well" that she was going off watch and dosing herself up on sleeping tablets.

When asked why she said she has issues with depression and without the tablets she doesn't sleep very well. I asked her if I could see the tablets she was taking and when she handed them to me, they went straight overboard. The last thing I want when things get desperate and we have to abandon the vessel is a comatose person in a bunk . That was 5 years ago and guess what? She no longer suffers from "depression" and she has never again found the need to take any sleeping tablets.

So word of advice, check this sort of thing if you're going on an extended voyage with new crew or even long-time friends, this person was known to us since she was an infant..

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke