Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2013

CheapsuitG is on a distinguished road
This is what I am thinking

After a decade of working 6 days a week, I have accepted a position that will give me proper weekends off. Spending that time on the sales side of the RV business, I have zero real interest in spending my new free time dealing with those. With that, my wife and I have discussed a sailboat. I grew up on my dads international 470. That was too small for what I am looking for. It's been 20 years since I have sailed but feel I could knock the rust off quickly. For the boat I am looking for, I would like a nice cabin and cockpit. From what I have read here a Catalina 22 swing keel seems to check off the most boxes of my list.

I am based in Colorado, not many large lakes but some. Is a boat that size okay on the smaller lakes? The "Yacht club" where I grew up sailing is mostly Hobie cats and small day sailers.

Basically would like some advice, preferably on using something like the Catalina 22, as a trailer sailer on lakes in Colorado and the occasional bay/coastal cruise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: This is what I am thinking

The C22 is probably one of the best candidates for what you're thinking.. Good owner support and reputation. But don't get locked into any specific model til you've looked around some.. Lots of other trailer sailers of similar size out there too

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-29-2013

What else would you suggest then?
Old 05-29-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapsuitG View Post
What else would you suggest then?
There are a number of similar boats but without knowing your budget/how old/new you want it's tough to say.

Here's a search of similar boats under $5K - some far away but mainly for reference:

Sailboat Listings sailboats for sale by owner.

You'll have to browse through to see if it's a trailerable or not...

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 05-29-2013

Thanks

I have looked at most of those and keep returning to the catalina. My biggest concern is being able to get the most use out of it as possible. Hence the swing keel, trailer and larger size. I would be just fine with a hobie racing around but the wife and future kids, I want something more like the catalina.
Old 05-29-2013
Just another Moderator

Not saying the C22 isn't right for you.... if you've looked at others and made a choice that's great.

If kids are in the offing and you're fairly sure you'll both take to this maybe think about a C25 to avoid the first inevitable 'step up'....
jimgo likes this.

Old 05-29-2013

Thought about the 25 but that's just getting really big. Colorado is a lovely place but one of the lakes I want to sail is up the mountain and the others are fairly small.
Old 05-29-2013

Another question, how we'll does a swing keel perform vs the fixed counter part.
Old 05-29-2013
Just another Moderator

In that sort of boat the fixed keel version is likely going to outperform its centreboard sister, it will be less tender and more stable all around. But the trailering issues are pretty limiting with a fixed keel boat

Old 05-29-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

That's where a wing keel c25 is ideal. It has the trailerability of the C22 or C25 swing keel, but better manners, especially with the board up. And the C25 may seem big at first, but after 5-6 months, it won't.

Just how big are the lakes in your area? I can appreciate the size issue (our local lake puts a 16' limit on boats of a y kind), but the C25 is a significant different and more family-friend boat if you can swing it. We had one with a family of 4, inducing to small boys, and would still have it if it hasn't been totaled in Hurricane Sandy.

Can you give us an idea of your budget and envisioned usage? Will she be moored/docked somewhere, or trailer sailed? What kind of tow vehicle do you have? If trailering, do you realize that it's a 45 minute to an hour job to rig a C22/25, and another 45-60 to break it down again, and that may not always include time spent waiting for the ramp? That's crucial "boredom time" with little ones. Not trying to be a wet blanket, just setting your expectations.

What you might consider, depending on your anticipated use cases (racing, cruising, daysailing, overnighting) and needs (marine head, galley, shower/sink), is something like a Diller Schwill or West Wight Potter. Smaller, easier to rig, and easy to tow, with a small cabin that you can use for overnighting, and future kids can use as a "fort" while you are underway.
CheapsuitG likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.