Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2013

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road
what should I expect

I have a 1977 26 ft Luger Tradewinds fractional sloop. This boat has a swing keel and is about 1/2 the weight of other boats her size. it is a kit boat that has been completely overhauled (pics included). Last Thursday on Lake Erie in the Buffalo Harbor the winds were blowing a solid 15 and gusting into the 20's. I don't have a reefing system on my main and I had up my storm jib as well. with the wind coming out of the NNW I ended up having to fire up the outboard in the south end inside the break wall when the winds picked up a little more(2 or 3 MPH). Before the wind picked up a little more I was able to travel in that direction. There were a couple other boats out that day and they were still able to travel north close to the wind. Wondering if this is because they have a fixed or even full keel VS. my swing keel along with a lot more weight. Still happy with my swing keel. Just want to know if I'm asking too much of it.
Attached Thumbnails
what should I expect-cheektowaga-20121127-00332.jpg   what should I expect-buffalo-20120523-00525.jpg   what should I expect-cheektowaga-20121127-00331.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Re: what should I expect

Yes the swing keel will not perform like a fin or full keel, but a lot depends on your sails. If they are old and tired they will lack performance going to windward.

There is another thread on this page about sailing performance to windward titled what I learned from this weeks sail or something along those lines. Was the boat overpowered with the full main and storm jib? If you were getting weather helm you may not have been able to control the boat and sail it properly to get windward performance. Does your mainsail have reefing point? If so it should be easy enough to configure a basic reefing system. If your boat is very light you might want to bring along 4 big friends to sit on the windward rail whenever it is blowing.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook