SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Cool Pic (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/99967-cool-pic.html)

Cruisingdad 05-29-2013 04:12 PM

Cool Pic

The other night, at Boot Key, it was as calm as I have ever seen it (except when I don;t have enough diesel to motor somewhere, then it's even calmer than this). Anyways, in this particular instance, I woke in the middle of the night and looked out over the harbor. This pic really does not do it justice. It was like looking out over a sea of stars - but all the lights are anchor lights on the boats. They have the opposite reflection in the water.

Cool stuff. Helps me remember why I do this thing. Again, sorry about the pic quality. Took it off my phone and it is really hard to hold it still that long in the dark waiting for the pic to take. But, use your imagination. Others are welcome to post some cool shots here too.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...psd6360800.jpg

Brian

ccriders 05-29-2013 04:24 PM

Re: Cool Pic

I think that's a Rorshack test. Tell us what you really see.
John

Cruisingdad 05-29-2013 04:32 PM

Here's another cool pic...

These are the waters we sail in. This is in the Keys, but cannot remember where. I think near J Pennekamp State park (Key Largo).

The water is surreal. When sailing in this area, there are many spots that are reefs and though well marked, you sure don't want to hit one. SO when the clouds go over, they make a dark spot on the water and you are slowing down, checking your maps, your GPS, your wife, your kids, your dog, and anyone else who will listen:

"IS THAT A REEF!?????"

"No, Dad, Just a cloud on the water. Why do you ask that all the time!?"

"Er, nevermind that. Hey Swab, grab me another brewsky!"

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...psef499fbb.jpg

Brian

Capt.aaron 05-29-2013 04:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a couple my wife took last year off Key west out by Boca Grande.

Ferretchaser 05-29-2013 05:20 PM

Brian you need to get that flash fixed :)

travlineasy 05-29-2013 05:58 PM

Boca Grande Key/Channel is a really neat spot, until the wind and tide are in opposition. Incredible lobstering and fishing in the anchorage at Boca Grande Key as well.

Brian, I saw that same sight every evening for two solid months, and believe me, I wanted to see it a lot longer. I really loved spending time there, and really miss everyone I met. It was an incredible place to spend much of the winter.

On days when the weather cooperated, and I didn't have to play music, I motored through Sister Creek, put up the sails, then sailed out to Sombrero Light, turned right and sailed to Seven Mile Bridge and into the Gulf of Mexico, sailed around the nearby islands, then sailed back to the lower entrance to Boot Key Harbor before firing up the engine. Both the sailing and sights were incredible.

Ironically, people tell me how hot and humid it is there during mid summer. I guess they've never been to Baltimore in August and September - 95 degree days with 100-percent humidity.

Cheers,

Gary :cool:

Cruisingdad 05-31-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt.aaron (Post 1037115)
Here is a couple my wife took last year off Key west out by Boca Grande.

Sweet! Love the water.

Brian

Cruisingdad 05-31-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferretchaser (Post 1037121)
Brian you need to get that flash fixed :)

Nah... need to learn to get more sleep!! HEHE!

Brian

Cruisingdad 05-31-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travlineasy (Post 1037145)
Boca Grande Key/Channel is a really neat spot, until the wind and tide are in opposition. Incredible lobstering and fishing in the anchorage at Boca Grande Key as well.

Brian, I saw that same sight every evening for two solid months, and believe me, I wanted to see it a lot longer. I really loved spending time there, and really miss everyone I met. It was an incredible place to spend much of the winter.

On days when the weather cooperated, and I didn't have to play music, I motored through Sister Creek, put up the sails, then sailed out to Sombrero Light, turned right and sailed to Seven Mile Bridge and into the Gulf of Mexico, sailed around the nearby islands, then sailed back to the lower entrance to Boot Key Harbor before firing up the engine. Both the sailing and sights were incredible.

Ironically, people tell me how hot and humid it is there during mid summer. I guess they've never been to Baltimore in August and September - 95 degree days with 100-percent humidity.

Cheers,

Gary :cool:

Its a great place Gary, and a lot of fun. If I can get Air Conditioning, I like the summers here. Otherwise, the winter is much better.

Just so you know, when I left the mooring field and came to M-Marina, we were having highs in the 90s, zero wind, and lows in the low 80s. It ain't even summer yet! That is uncomfortable (if not miserable) no matter where ya are!

Sure hope we can see you back down here sometime Gary. Keep playing those gigs and get a bigger tip jar!!

See ya,

B

Capt.aaron 05-31-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruisingdad (Post 1037789)
Sweet! Love the water.

Brian

Yeah, It's funny, when you are off shore in 6 foot following sea and try to snap a picture, it never comes out right, the seas always look small. When my wife snapped the photos, it was like glass and the clouds where perfectly reflected. In the photos there is a ripple on the water. You just can't win. I think the ripple was from the wake of our skiff.