Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Contributing Publishers > Good Old Boat
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2011
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
What a great article. Rhodes was my very favorite designer as a kid. Sometimes I play this game with myself where I wonder what it would be like to travel back in time and one of the things I would do for sure is to try to have Phil Rhodes teach me how to draw a sheer. I'm not sure we will ever see sheerlines as sweet as those again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2012

Wolfhound is on a distinguished road
Ben Stavis has done a splendid job memorializing a great naval architect & his work. His words obviously come from the heart. Thank you, Ben.

As a boy, I grew up particularly admiring the designs of Herreshoff, of Burgess, of Rhodes, of Stephens, and of Bill Tripp. When in the Newburyport & Boston areas, I heard many stories of Donald McKay, and later listened, absorbed, for hours while my Father argued design with Howard Chapelle at the Smithsonian. Few among the mostly fleeting accomplishments of we humans rise to the level that designing a great vessel does, and all these inspired naval architects were men of genius.

Bob, you may not (yet) have drawn the best of all sheerlines, but your contributions are substantial and lasting, and you've shown yourself worthy to walk proudly in the company of these legendary benefactors of art, and of humanity.

Great music is a matter of balance and proportion and harmony, all of which may be mathematically expressed.

The lines of a well-designed vessel are music molded to move with the mind of the waters.
jamesnewsome likes this.
Old 01-25-2012
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Wolf:
Thank you for saying that. I needed a boost this morning.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 01-25-2012

Wolfhound is on a distinguished road
You're welcome, Bob.

It was no gift, however; you earned it.
Old 03-09-2012

reed1v is on a distinguished road
Re: The legacy of Philip Rhodes

jeffH, not sure the hunters, beneteaus, etc of today's racing standards would be considered in the same seaworthy league as the old rhodes: partly their weak construction, partly their high freeboard, and partly their wide beams. for weekenders they are fine. for real blue water sailing for extended periods they are horrible. then again if you really want to take along your washing machine and tv; they are great. but if you want motion comfort, safety in roaring conditions, and a solid hull around you, the new boats are just not up to snuff. btw: almost all boats sail at hull speed in anything but light air. if you sail the trades, there is little difference in speed between similar waterlines.
Old 12-14-2012

simpsoned is on a distinguished road
Re: The legacy of Philip Rhodes

Great article...I built a wooden Rhodes Bantam a couple years ago from a set of plans my dad left me when he died...fine one design boat and I race it occasionally during the summers on Lake Pend Orielle in Idaho.
Ed Simpson...Spokane WA