Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Contributing Publishers > Good Old Boat
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2012

Woodvet is on a distinguished road
Re: LEDs afloat

It's wonderful to live in an age where we have choices. I recall when I had a battery go down using the old 1157s. It was off the coast and with the navs down in a shipping lane I had reason to sweat. Saving current is very important on sailboats because if you love sailing you have a tendency to forget about the aux power (if you have any) and how it's needed to charge the system. I now carry independent AA battery powered back up LEDs as well as back up Gel batteries. No, maybe my back ups are not CG approved but in a pitch it is better to have something than nothing. Because in the end it's about safety -not the law.
Many feel my oil lamps, compass's and water tanks are redundant but I consider the new tech with the option of failure. In fact I still carry candles.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

I was thinking of spending my first old age pension cheque on solar panels. Then along came super bright ,affordable, LEDs ,and made making more power irrelevant. Now the battery drain is negligable, as lights are the only electrical power I use. Gonna be nice, having all that bright light on those gloomy winter days.
Old 08-01-2012

Bob142 is on a distinguished road

My understanding of electricity is only a little above that the factory puts magic smoke into their products and if you let it out something is going to stop working... My question is it posible to use LEDs from the dollar store that operate on 4 and a half volts and link 3 or 4 of them in series or ad a simple resistor into the circuit??? Connecting them directly to 12 volts lets out the smoke...
Old 08-01-2012

windnrock is on a distinguished road

Not knowing exactly the LEDs you are referring to is kind of moot. The units are probably cheap and not worth the trouble to go through the effort. Not all LEDs are the same. Cheaper ones will expire much sooner than a quality diode, for a number of reasons. To get some good information, easily stated, visit the Bebi Electronics website Bebi Electronics-Home of the Finest Marine LED Lighting Products on Sea (or Earth)! When looking for LEDs, CREE Inc. is a US manufacturer of high quality LEDs. By the way, getting the smoke back in is problematic but finding OEM smoke is even harder!
Old 08-01-2012

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

I think most people make this whole LED thing far too complicated.
I converted all my interior light fixtures (15) to LED's from Ikea (much cheaper than any chandlery). They have been working well for 2 years now. I posted a How To on my website.
Old 08-01-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

poker, it is onl complicated if you want to "do it once and do it right".

A white LED typically needs 3.6VDC to operate and one way to match that up to 12 volts is by daisychaining four of them to one power connection. 4x3.6=14.4 volts which is conveniently "alternator voltage" will power a chain of four white LEDs pretty nicely. Of course then the engine is off they'll dim and that'a waste. Or you use chain of three (3*3.6v=10.8V) and they'll work fine of a dead battery but tend to burn out if the engine is running....

Maybe Ikea uses those robust wild-free-range Scandanavian LEDs that match up better, or maybe they use something to control the current, which solves the problem much better. Kinda like changing the coffee filter once in a while,and only re-using the grounds twice. You may notice a difference in the quality of the coffee when you do that. :-)

If the LED comes with specs, you can run the numbers, there are plenty of web sites that tell you how to match voltages or power. No specs? You generalize by the color, and if it only lasts five years instead of ten, most folks aren't going to complain.
Old 08-18-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

I'm not a huge fan of cluster LEDs. I prefer single ones with a decent reflector, just personal preference. FWIW I used to work in the factory that makes the substrates for the LED manufacturers. They're all made of solid sapphire crystal, grown the same way as the watch faces. Though the watch face ones are about the size of a film canister, and the ones grown for LEDs are about 60lbs...
We used Timex's crystal as seeds to start most batches because they were so little but that's getting off topic.

The interesting bit to this is the spec. Nichia and lot of the other cheap ones had a very loose specification. Luxeon and Cree had a much tighter spec, that was very different from the other ones, they also paid about 4x as much for it. Whether that makes a more quality product or not, I've never had one of their LEDs fail.
The best LEDs to my mind are properly controlled with a decent power source, and a good quality heat sink.

For marine stuff, I really like Lunasea, I think they are the supplier for West Marine as well, though at a huge mark-up of course.

Voltage tolerance from 6-24v input and on clearance they are very affordable. Like 4.40$ for a festoon bulb vs west marine prices
Or this
LED Wall Lamp - Indoor - Cool White LED’s
24$ for a single 3w led controller, and all in a nice stainless lamp. Hard to beat.
Old 03-21-2013
Have a go and DIY .....

macwester26 is on a distinguished road

I have been using LED lighting on an old Macwester yacht.
The reason I have used them is the power saving and coupled with a solar charging panel I am hoping i will not have any lighting problems.

AS per the very first post of this thread there was mentioned mast light

http://sonar.x90x.net/Macwester%2026/P1211699.JPG
This is one i made earlier. my Mast all round navigation light and Anchor light...
Formed with Polyester resin and formed in a glass jam jar.
I had to break the class jar when it had set solid.
Just needs a quick polish now with T Cut or a g3 cutting compound thae same stuff they buff car paintwork with..

also I have been working on Navigation lights that I can insett to the rubber fendering

These are water resistant strips .with a self adhesive backing strip.
Easy to cut to size and fit.
And a lot of power saved.

Robert

Last edited by macwester26; 07-18-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-03-2013

Gulfstar#62 is on a distinguished road

I would not suggest using LEDís on a vessel, because they donít hold up to a lightning strike. My sailing vessel was struck by lightning four weeks ago, and although I have a superior grounding system, including cables attached to the back stays that hang in the water, every LED light was killed. None of the conventional light bulbs were effected.

Additionally, I am associated with a River Road Plantation in Louisiana that has 100% LED lighting in a museum room. The plantation house was stuck by lightning and it killed all of the LED fixtures.
Old 08-03-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfstar#62 View Post
I would not suggest using LEDís on a vessel, because they donít hold up to a lightning strike. My sailing vessel was struck by lightning four weeks ago, and although I have a superior grounding system, including cables attached to the back stays that hang in the water, every LED light was killed. None of the conventional light bulbs were effected.

Additionally, I am associated with a River Road Plantation in Louisiana that has 100% LED lighting in a museum room. The plantation house was stuck by lightning and it killed all of the LED fixtures.
Well I would doubt fluorescents or halogen would do much better. Seems a rather isolated situation to base the decision on. Perhaps keep the old bulbs as back-up. Seems the extended battery life is worth the risk.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta