LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007
Contributing Author

GoodOldBoat is on a distinguished road
Rope mats

Rope mats
Good nautical stuff to wipe your feet on
by Gregg Nestor

The sailor of yore had a complete repertoire of knots, plain and fancy. The fact that some knots were beautiful or decorative was secondary to their usefulness. One sign announcing to visitors that they were on a sailing ship, or for that matter in the home of a sailor, was the presence of a rope mat. For hundreds of years, rope mats were standard equipment on sailing vessels and well-kept yachts. They were primarily used as chafing gear and to provide skidproof footing at the helm, the companionway threshold, and the gangway. Many of these mats were quite decorative. All were fashioned by able-bodied seamen. However, in recent times this art has been neglected by boaters and is rarely seen.

No matter how you coil it, the Flemish Coil, above, is the easiest to make and the plainest of the rope mats. It's created by coiling a rope and stitching the coils together. The finished Ocean Plat, at left, forms the center of a Flemish Coil mat.

Fear not. With a little effort, the modern sailor can again benefit from the functionality and beauty of the rope mat. Here are three mats that can be fashioned easily and will add functionality and a bit of nautical flair to your boat and home.

Flemish Coil

The simplest and most basic rope mat is called the Flemish Coil. It can be fashioned in a round or oval configuration. This mat is nothing more than a rope that has been coiled carefully with the turns lying close, flat, and smoothly next to one another. Once the Flemish Coil has been laid to the desired size, the turns of the coil are stitched together. A simple overhand stitch works well. Use a single length of heavy polyester or nylon thread and a large sail needle. If the stitches are placed beneath the surface between the coils, the mat can be used either side up. While it's possible to sew the turns together as the rope is being coiled, this is not advisable. If done in this way, the end result is usually a lumpy mat that will not lie flat. Coil first and then stitch.

"With a little patience and practice, a complete set of these mats should take about two hours, from start to finish."

The Flemish Coil is the easiest mat to fashion; it is also the plainest of the rope mats. One way to dress it up is by using colored line. Another way is to start with a decorative flat knot in the center and finish up with the Flemish Coil.

Ocean Plat

While it may look involved, the Ocean Plat decorative knot can be fabricated easily in about a half-hour's time.

Since the weave of the Ocean Plat crosses over and under itself, the knot thickness is doubled. Therefore, when incorporating the Ocean Plat within the Flemish Coil, it is best to use rope that is one diameter size smaller than that used for the Flemish Coil. Approximately 35 feet of 3⁄8-inch rope makes for a striking triple-passed Ocean Plat decorative knot. A 1/2-inch rope is coiled around this to achieve the desired mat size. The knot will hold together without sewing; however, it must be stitched to the coil where it touches the coil. Also, the coil itself needs to be stitched together as described previously.

To begin the Ocean Plat, start with a bight approximately 12 feet from one end of the rope. Arrange the rope loosely as shown on the facing page, top. This leaves one long end and one short end. Weave the long end to the location from where the short end emerges. Continue to weave the long end through the knot, making two complete circuits. This will result in a triple-pass Ocean Plat decorative knot. At this point, it should look like the finished knot . . . however, it may be loose and even a bit lopsided. Finish the knot by starting with a bight anywhere in the knot and begin to take out the slack. Work in both directions until it lies close together and the knot is symmetrical. Once this is achieved, the ends should be whipped and stitched to the knot's underside. To complete the mat, add the Flemish Coil as previously described. The completed knot will flatten out with use. Pounding it with a wooden mallet will accelerate the flattening process.

(1)

(2)
The Ocean Plat fancy knot is tricky to start. But once you're sure of which part of the line goes over another and which part goes under another during the setup (1, 2, and 3), you simply follow the pattern around, weaving over and under for two more full rounds (4, 5, and 6), winding up with a loosely woven mat (7). Finishing requires patience as you work out the slack, pulling one bight through at a time until you're satisfied with the symmetry of your mat (8).

(3)

(4)

(5)

(6)

(7)

(8)

Ladder-Step

The last of the rope mats is the Ladder-Step mat. It is sometimes referred to as the Sailor's True Lover Mat Weave. It is fashioned much in the same way as the Ocean Plat.

Approximately 25 feet of 5⁄16-inch rope can easily be transformed into a four-pass Ladder-Step mat. If you want to improve the mat's water-absorbing capabilities, use cotton rope such as good-quality clothesline. Begin by laying the rope up as is illustrated in the picture series below. Pass one end of the rope in a complete over-and-under circuit around the knot.

Throughout this process, remember to keep the knot loose. Repeat the weaving for a total of three more passes, four in all. Whatever end of the rope you're using, always lay the next pass against the same side of the previous rope. Avoid crossing over. Snug up the knot by removing the slack as was done with the Ocean Plat. Keep the knot symmetrical during this process. The ends should be whipped and stitched to the knot's underside, where they are hidden.

With a little patience and practice, a complete set of these mats should take about two hours, from start to finish. Once done, place one of the mats in the cockpit beneath the helmsman's feet, another at the companionway threshold to prevent sand from going below, and the third at the foot of the companionway ladder to absorb the water from your dripping foul weather gear.

On second thought, maybe three's not enough. What about the main saloon, just outside of the head, and at the foot of the V-berth . . . ?

(1)

(2)

(3)

(4)

(5)

(6)
The finished Ladder-Step mat, left, is similar in concept to the Ocean Plat fancy knot. It begins with an intricate setup, but once you've got the overs and the unders, as shown (1, 2, and 3), worked out (what goes over which and who goes under where?!), the next three passes are a breeze (4 and 5). Once you've got a loose knot, work out the slack with patience and care. It will be worth it in the end for its nautical look and utility on your boat (6). Aboard most boats, uses for these mats and smaller thump-pads are unlimited.

The author:
Gregg Nestor, a contributing editor with Good Old Boat, has had a lifelong interest in all things aquatic. He has just completed his second book: Twenty Affordable Sailboats to Take You Anywhere.

Last edited by GoodOldBoat; 10-17-2007 at 07:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2007
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Gregg, great article but you wouldn't happen to have better quality photos would you??

I'm finding it a little hard to work out which rope is 'over' and which is 'under'..

Thanks,
Cameron
Old 10-18-2007

arvin555 is on a distinguished road
Great Article!

I wonder if it is harder to make one of those rope fenders? Might you be able to post an article on how to make one of these Greg?

TTFN
Arvin
Old 10-18-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
Making rope fenders: http://www.floatingbear.ca/RopeFender.HTM
Old 11-03-2007

hoganc is on a distinguished road
Question Difficulty Seeing the Path

I too am having difficulty seeing the overs and unders of this layup. Would like to try this one if anyone can give me some help on the first layup of the knot. From there it should be easy. Thanks
Old 12-15-2007

NoDakCoastie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoganc View Post
I too am having difficulty seeing the overs and unders of this layup. Would like to try this one if anyone can give me some help on the first layup of the knot. From there it should be easy. Thanks
I don't know if you have already been helped or not, but hopefully I can clarify things for the Ocean Plait for you (It's a little harder to describe the ladder step). Starting with the bitter end that is on the left hand side and following it around, it goes under, then over, then under, over, under, over, under, over, under, over. The second is actually simple, you simply drape the left loop over the right loop. The third step can be a little confusing. Starting with the bitter end on the right hand side pull this under the middle loop, then pulling diagonally to the lower left drape this over the next two cords and under the last loop. Next take the bitter end on the left hand side, pull this over the middle loop under the second cord, over the third, under the fourth and finally over the last loop. Then, simply follow the other cords around to make as many tucks as you want.

If you want better clarification, I have pictures of an Ocean Plait that I made out of 3/4" Manilla, pretty much step by step. I can email them to you if you like.

Let me know if this has been helpful, or if all I have done is to confuse the heck out of you.
Old 01-31-2008
Nautical Rope

AndrewScullion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to AndrewScullion
There are many knot tying resources out there and most have photographs which are difficult to follow as indicated by these posts.

We are currently building a new set of resources using modern graphics to create much clearer diagrams. We have just added the Prolong Knot which is very similar to the Ocean Plait.

Please visit our website at: segroup.uk.com, you can click on my name above and then visit my home page. You will see a link there for How To Tie Knots.
We would appreciate any feed back on whether you find our new graphic diagrams easier to follow.

Regards
Andrew

Last edited by AndrewScullion; 02-01-2008 at 04:28 AM.
Old 09-03-2008

Stonehenge is on a distinguished road
My sister gave me "The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Knots and Ropework" for my birthday. It's loaded with great stuff like this.

Eric
Old 09-04-2008
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
There are some easier to see pictures and animations here
http://www.animatedknots.com/knotlist.php?LogoImage=LogoSailNet.jpg&Website=www.sailnet.com
Old 09-06-2008

PeterGosling is on a distinguished road
Mat success

Over recent years I have enjoyed making some traditional rope mats for my own gaff-rigged Finesse 24 boat (Emma & Kate). I have made mats for entrance, galley, and block protectors in natural fibre, 6mm flax. This rope is relatively thin so you don't trip over! The mats after a while give that 'live-in' look that suits a traditional boat.

If anyone would like me to make a mat for their boat, then please email petergosling@bluebottle.com .