d

Last edited by QuickMick; 03-15-2014 at 04:16 PM. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2009
Grampian 30 rebuilder

afsam is on a distinguished road
You must be nuts.....like me

Just saying hello.

I'm immersed in rebuilding 80% of the top deck of my 72 G30 which sits for now in my back yard. I have no real thoughts to share except to say these are fine boats. Make sure the top deck has no soft spots. If there are soft spots let me know and I will tell you what I have learned about restoring such a boat on the cheap....not that I have succeeded yet but I am on the way. I am in the midst of a huge complex task which only an insane man would undertake involving learning the fiber glass and epoxy arts. Does the atomic four turn? its ok if i wont start now but can you make the engine turn? Try with a monkey pipe or other wrench to turn it at the belt... that is important. If the engine turns take the plugs out and put oil in the cylinders right away. I have learned these engines are so incredibly tough that even a moron can't destroy them...they can almost always be brought back to life. Take it from me.

I am curious. Is this a hobby for you? Where will you work on the boat? Why would you consider such a hare brained idea as buying an old sailboat. Are you completely insane?....I am.... but I am fortunate to be surrounded by close friends... incredibly good talented people including a structural engineer and an understanding helpful girlfriend who loves the water and sailing and share my insanity and help me and support this insane venture. Without them I would never make it. I would drop the idea and the adventure without these people sharing it. I am lucky. I was just about ready to cut her up and haul her to the dump but now I am begining to make actual progress
Old 10-31-2009

mman30 is on a distinguished road
Good luck to you both, I have a G30 that I restored and sailed for 4 years now. I just returned this May from a 7 month cruise from Annapolis, MD to the Bahamas and back. They are great boats, regardless what some yahoo's on this site may say (the nay sayers are most likely Hunter/Catalina power boaters that only raise the sails with zero wind). Good luck with the restorations, and feel free to contact me with any questions. I have tons of pics on the Yahoo Grampian Group, great group, look under pics of Renaissance.
Old 11-01-2009
Grampian 30 rebuilder

Quick:

I wrote you a volume and a half but there is some rule about replies to your private message that I can't reply until I have posted X number of posts so all the stuff I wrote was LOST. I am too exhausted to rewrite now but re the atomic 4 consider this. I spoke to a guy who sank his boat with A4 where it remained under salt water for a year. He raised the boat AND BROUGHT THAT TOUGH OLD ENGINE BACK TO LIFE. I have a book on the Atomic 4. Ask me anything but I guess I have to post answers here until I have...again X number of posts up. I will reread your note but I just wanted to get this up quick Mick.

Later

Last edited by afsam; 11-01-2009 at 09:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-02-2009

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
silly question

hey, where do you stow the table that converts the settee to a double? i cant find a stinkin handy place for it!!! sorry for the goofy question. lol

Q

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 11-02-2009
Grampian 30 rebuilder

I put this piece of pipe in the lazaette under the port side settee. Not nice but convenient when you want to set up the table again. Right now I have those 3 compartments empty because they need to be power washed and degreased and repainted. PS I lied...mine is actually a 71. Did you buy her? how much.

Again I have a book about the atomic four. Still trying to post pics
Old 11-02-2009
Grampian 30 rebuilder

my turn. The only design defect i can point to on my 71 are the scuppers along side the cockpit. Water pools there on my Grampian. The lower lip of the scupper gromet (drain tube through the rail) is too high on my boat; a half inch above the deck. Water rotted the deck there. How does this look on your 72? Does water pool? I may raise the deck there with layers of woven roving and chop mat plus epoxy. note these are scuppers up above the cockpit along the rail not in it.

Last edited by afsam; 11-02-2009 at 07:46 PM. Reason: additional words
Old 11-02-2009
Grampian 30 rebuilder

some pics of my Grampian over the last 15 years

I sailed her down from New York. When I lost a sailing partner she fell into disrepair. i met new sailing friends and I am determined to bring her back from the dead.

Old 11-05-2009
Grampian 30 rebuilder

Were you able to see the pictures?

Were you able to see the pictures?
so's he don't get no diseases
Pee Wee Herman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<- my opinion of smilies>
Old 11-05-2009

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
firewall

facebook firewalled at work...

but are you on the grampianowners.com site?

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture