SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Grampian (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/grampian/)
-   -   Furler for Grampian 28 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/grampian/84144-furler-grampian-28-a.html)

treb001 02-21-2012 12:08 AM

Furler for Grampian 28

3 Attachment(s)
I have 2 older furlers for my Grampian. I would like to know who manufactured them. How to attach?
Need diagrams.
Thank you.
Bert

knothead 02-21-2012 08:49 PM

The smaller part, the swivel, is attached to the head of the sail. The sail should have a piece of rigging wire sewn into the luff. Any sailmaker should be able to do that for you. The swivel is hooked onto the headstay by means of that pair of opposite facing hook things and then hauled aloft with the Jib halyard. The system will work best if it is a two part halyard. You really need to have it tight.
The tack of the sail is attached to the top of larger piece, the drum, and the drum is attached to wherever you usually attach the tack of the sail. The drum will have a furling line passing through the fairlead on the end of the lead arm and already wound around it. After the sail is hoisted, you pull the line and the sail winds up. It's pretty much that simple.

treb001 02-21-2012 08:52 PM

One question. Can I put in a new deck fitting to attach the drum instead of using my forestay.
Thanks,
Bert

knothead 02-21-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treb001 (Post 834954)
One question. Can I put in a new deck fitting to attach the drum instead of using my forestay.
Thanks,
Bert

You don't attach it to the forestay. You attach the drum to the tack shackle right behind the forestay. Just like you attach the sail usually.
The swivel hooks around the forestay and slides up.

KnottyGurl 04-10-2012 12:46 AM

Re: Furler for Grampian 28

Are you interested in selling one of the units

jackiegoddamn 04-10-2012 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knothead (Post 834953)
The smaller part, the swivel, is attached to the head of the sail. The sail should have a piece of rigging wire sewn into the luff. Any sailmaker should be able to do that for you. The swivel is hooked onto the headstay by means of that pair of opposite facing hook things and then hauled aloft with the Jib halyard. The system will work best if it is a two part halyard. You really need to have it tight.
The tack of the sail is attached to the top of larger piece, the drum, and the drum is attached to wherever you usually attach the tack of the sail. The drum will have a furling line passing through the fairlead on the end of the lead arm and already wound around it. After the sail is hoisted, you pull the line and the sail winds up. It's pretty much that simple.

You did not mention the foil. Is it possible to go without a foil?
I have two drums, swivels, and two wire rigged genoas, specific to a G26. I thought what was holding me back was not having a track. Is it possible to operate this system without a foil?

KnottyGurl 04-10-2012 06:05 PM

the G26 with the above pictured drum and top roller did not use a foil, but you also need to remember that the furler is NOT for Reefing. Only for packing the sail away.
With a spare jib halyard you could pull a small jib or storm sail if heavy winded as you still have access to the forestay and hankons

jackiegoddamn 04-11-2012 10:21 AM

Yeah, it's the same type of drum and swivel I have. So you're saying that it's not for reefing? I am trying to think how much, if any, convenience this would add to my set up. Seems like it wouldn't be worth it, since it would be rigged just aft of the forestay. In my mind, this would cause problems.
If I had it rigged with genoa, and I needed to use a smaller sail, I would furl the sail up and then go hank on a smaller jib on the forestay, but if I had to tack or anything I would be having to pull the entire jib through the (at most) foot of clearance between the forestay and furler stay? That doesn't make a lick of sense to me, and sounds like it would be prone to fouling like mad, especially in a blow.

Edit: I could see this system being much more feasible on a bowsprit, rigged like a cutter, with ample room between stays for the sails to pass through.

KnottyGurl 04-12-2012 01:11 AM

the distance is about 6 inches, and it will give with the hanked sail, would at like a DRS in a sock.
It could have merits if a quick sail change was in order.
a second sail loaded and held in place with a downhaul and seperate sheets and blocks could make for a very easy setup singlehanded