Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Grampian
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012

treb001 is on a distinguished road
Furler for Grampian 28

I have 2 older furlers for my Grampian. I would like to know who manufactured them. How to attach?
Need diagrams.
Thank you.
Bert
Attached Thumbnails
Furler for Grampian 28-bob-012.jpg   Furler for Grampian 28-bob-010.jpg   Furler for Grampian 28-bob-011.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
The smaller part, the swivel, is attached to the head of the sail. The sail should have a piece of rigging wire sewn into the luff. Any sailmaker should be able to do that for you. The swivel is hooked onto the headstay by means of that pair of opposite facing hook things and then hauled aloft with the Jib halyard. The system will work best if it is a two part halyard. You really need to have it tight.
The tack of the sail is attached to the top of larger piece, the drum, and the drum is attached to wherever you usually attach the tack of the sail. The drum will have a furling line passing through the fairlead on the end of the lead arm and already wound around it. After the sail is hoisted, you pull the line and the sail winds up. It's pretty much that simple.
Old 02-21-2012

treb001 is on a distinguished road
One question. Can I put in a new deck fitting to attach the drum instead of using my forestay.
Thanks,
Bert
Old 02-21-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by treb001 View Post
One question. Can I put in a new deck fitting to attach the drum instead of using my forestay.
Thanks,
Bert
You don't attach it to the forestay. You attach the drum to the tack shackle right behind the forestay. Just like you attach the sail usually.
The swivel hooks around the forestay and slides up.
Old 04-09-2012

KnottyGurl is on a distinguished road
Re: Furler for Grampian 28

Are you interested in selling one of the units

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-10-2012

jackiegoddamn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
The smaller part, the swivel, is attached to the head of the sail. The sail should have a piece of rigging wire sewn into the luff. Any sailmaker should be able to do that for you. The swivel is hooked onto the headstay by means of that pair of opposite facing hook things and then hauled aloft with the Jib halyard. The system will work best if it is a two part halyard. You really need to have it tight.
The tack of the sail is attached to the top of larger piece, the drum, and the drum is attached to wherever you usually attach the tack of the sail. The drum will have a furling line passing through the fairlead on the end of the lead arm and already wound around it. After the sail is hoisted, you pull the line and the sail winds up. It's pretty much that simple.
You did not mention the foil. Is it possible to go without a foil?
I have two drums, swivels, and two wire rigged genoas, specific to a G26. I thought what was holding me back was not having a track. Is it possible to operate this system without a foil?
Old 04-10-2012

the G26 with the above pictured drum and top roller did not use a foil, but you also need to remember that the furler is NOT for Reefing. Only for packing the sail away.
With a spare jib halyard you could pull a small jib or storm sail if heavy winded as you still have access to the forestay and hankons

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-11-2012

jackiegoddamn is on a distinguished road

Yeah, it's the same type of drum and swivel I have. So you're saying that it's not for reefing? I am trying to think how much, if any, convenience this would add to my set up. Seems like it wouldn't be worth it, since it would be rigged just aft of the forestay. In my mind, this would cause problems.
If I had it rigged with genoa, and I needed to use a smaller sail, I would furl the sail up and then go hank on a smaller jib on the forestay, but if I had to tack or anything I would be having to pull the entire jib through the (at most) foot of clearance between the forestay and furler stay? That doesn't make a lick of sense to me, and sounds like it would be prone to fouling like mad, especially in a blow.

Edit: I could see this system being much more feasible on a bowsprit, rigged like a cutter, with ample room between stays for the sails to pass through.

Last edited by jackiegoddamn; 04-11-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-12-2012

the distance is about 6 inches, and it will give with the hanked sail, would at like a DRS in a sock.
It could have merits if a quick sail change was in order.
a second sail loaded and held in place with a downhaul and seperate sheets and blocks could make for a very easy setup singlehanded