Lake Ontario - Canadian winter storage locations? (Near Toronto) - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Destinations > Great Lakes
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011

JordanH is on a distinguished road
Lake Ontario - Canadian winter storage locations? (Near Toronto)

Hi All,
I'm looking for a winter storage location for the Contessa... Any additional places I should call? Recommendations?

My quick list (West to east)
Bronte Harbour
Oakeville Marina
Port Credit Harbour Marina
... Toronto Island Marinas (Not on my list)
Outer Harbour Marina
Bluffers Park Marina
??? Frenchman's Bay...
??? Whitby
??? Oshawa
Wiggers
??? Port Darlington

I'm looking for something that's reasonably priced with friendly service. I don't need high-end services and don't want to be nickle-and-dimed for individual services.

Any recommendations will be appreciated.
Regards,
Jordan.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2011

FDR14127 is on a distinguished road
Niagara on the Lake Sailing Club has several boats from Toronto. Spring comes early in Niagara and our tradesmen are expert and reasonable. Besides your mate will love the village. Pre-season Shaw and lots of B&B's. What more could you ask for?
Old 08-29-2011

Funny you should mention that. We're hoping to get to NOTL sometime this week (weekend?) although we're not sure if it will be back for Labour Day.

Does the NOTLSC allow non-members to winter their boats onsite?? Most sail clubs do not.

Yes, we'll love NOTL, I'm sure. She's already talking Shaw. Gotta go see what's on...
Old 08-29-2011

FDR14127 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Winter storage at NOTLSC

Yes the club has winter storage for boats generally under 45 ft. Call and ask for the particulars. If you are sailing for the weekend be advised that we are one of the most visited clubs on Ontario. Take your chances or call ahead and pay for a guaranteed reservation and get the following nights under your reciprocity. (Just like the holiday inn eh). Shaw tickets are avl at 9:am and discounted on Sunday performances. Might be worth a drive down to check out the details.
Old 11-27-2012

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn
Re: Lake Ontario - Canadian winter storage locations? (Near Toronto)

I expect that you are looked after for 2012-13 but next year consider "Oolee" (SP??).
He runs a boatyard right on Cherry st @ Commissioners. Jams them in tightly but he is cheaper than anyone else. Depending on where he puts you it may be difficult to get water and power so ask to be closer to Cherry street (the eastern end of his yard) versus the inner harbour end (western) You can see his huge 5 legged crane from the Gardiner. He is just north of the T&T grocery store.

Cirque du Soleil sets up across the street

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=commis...,+Ontario&z=18
Old 11-27-2012

Re: Lake Ontario - Canadian winter storage locations? (Near Toronto)

Oh, this thread is back from the dead.

Thanks for the tip. I ended up at Uli's Yard for the 2011-2012 winter so your suggestion is a good one for people that find this thread in the future.

Uli's yard was cheaper than elsewhere, accepted cash and was straight forward to deal with. No contracts, hassles, or anything. I should have got the launch/haul-out dates in writing as I had made special arrangements in the fall that were forgotten by spring. No matter, it all worked out. Running water and electricity were difficult to come by back where they stored my boat and the government crane attracted many birds which made a mess of my boat from their droppings. (Water required you get his yard manager to setup a pump, and electricity could be rented from a guy with a generator.) It was easy to store the boat as the mast stays up at Uli's. Uli will also store your cradle for 'free' if you agree to return the following year.

I have since joined a yacht club and my boat is now hauled / wintered at the yacht club for a fraction of the cost of elsewhere. I no longer require winter storage elsewhere but I hope this thread helps someone else in the same situation.

Cheers, Jordan.

P.S. *** The quay walls have an overhang of jagged cement. They are rough and steel and unless you are right under the crane, you will be putting your boat in danger. You *NEED* fender boards if you value your hull and life lines; I assisted a friend and a stranger by making the boards from scrap lumber I found in the yard.

Last edited by JordanH; 11-27-2012 at 01:38 PM.