Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Great Lakes
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2011

Grand River Raider is on a distinguished road
Quality Marine Surveyors in Great Lakes Region

I'm looking for recommendations on good marine surveyors in the Great Lakes region who charge a reasonable price. I'm on the south shore of Lake Erie, but I'm looking at boats all over the region. WHEN, I finally get around to making an offer on a boat I'd like to already have this information in mind. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2011

FDR14127 is on a distinguished road
I would nominate Gert Tiel, former production chief for C&C Yachts. Probably knows more about Composite Construction than any other man on the planet. Does surveys and can be reached at 905-468-2517. Expert, pragmatic, and reasonable price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDR14127 View Post
I would nominate Gert Tiel, former production chief for C&C Yachts. Probably knows more about Composite Construction than any other man on the planet. Does surveys and can be reached at 905-468-2517. Expert, pragmatic, and reasonable price.
Thanks for the lead.
Old 04-25-2012
Ali Baba

Alibaba is on a distinguished road
Re: Quality Marine Surveyors in Great Lakes Region

Grand River Raider,
. its been a few months sine your post, any luck..??
The last time I was on the Grand River was 1980, I had an ole Wooden boat called the Ali Baba which was docked at Ray McCloud`s Marina (Douglas & McCloud)

Is Ray McCloud still around, I beleive he was also a boat surveyor. He expelled me from his Marina in the winter of 1980. I kept my 1931 wooden Sail boat (Crosby 30`) in his indoor storage surrounded by the biggest yachts. I put a penny in the fuse box so I could run my power tools and heater during a sub zero night. It overloaded and blew out the Main Circuuit breaker in his locked Office. he demanded my key to the door, the first warm day of spring he put my boat in the Water and told me to get it out of there.

Ali Baba.. The boats gone, but I kept the name. Some people think I`m an Arab. (John McD)
Old 04-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibaba View Post
Grand River Raider,
. its been a few months sine your post, any luck..??
The last time I was on the Grand River was 1980, I had an ole Wooden boat called the Ali Baba which was docked at Ray McCloud`s Marina (Douglas & McCloud)

Is Ray McCloud still around, I beleive he was also a boat surveyor. He expelled me from his Marina in the winter of 1980. I kept my 1931 wooden Sail boat (Crosby 30`) in his indoor storage surrounded by the biggest yachts. I put a penny in the fuse box so I could run my power tools and heater during a sub zero night. It overloaded and blew out the Main Circuuit breaker in his locked Office. he demanded my key to the door, the first warm day of spring he put my boat in the Water and told me to get it out of there.

Ali Baba.. The boats gone, but I kept the name. Some people think I`m an Arab. (John McD)

Hello Alibaba,

I did have some luck. I ended up buying a C&C 32 near the mouth of the Niagra River and I used Gert Tiel for the survey (thanks again to FDR for the recommendation). Now I'm working on getting the boat back to Grand River. I had a plan to sail it back, but found out last night that my crew is unable to make the trip. So, I'll either have to find someone else to make the trip with me or have it trucked...not sure what will happen at this point.

The main marina at this time is Grand River Marina. They have slips on both the Grand River and Fairport Harbor side of the river. The Douglas and McCloud building is up for sale and appears to be sitting vacant. There are a couple of yacht clubs (Grand River and Fairport Harbor) right near the Douglas and McCloud building and maybe one more marina further up the river (Riverbend I think??), but I think the latter is mostly powerboats as the river gets pretty shallow in that area.

GRR
Old 04-30-2012
Ali Baba

Alibaba is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand River Raider View Post
Hello Alibaba,

I did have some luck. I ended up buying a C&C 32 near the mouth of the Niagra River and I used Gert Tiel for the survey (thanks again to FDR for the recommendation). Now I'm working on getting the boat back to Grand River. I had a plan to sail it back, but found out last night that my crew is unable to make the trip. So, I'll either have to find someone else to make the trip with me or have it trucked...not sure what will happen at this point.

The main marina at this time is Grand River Marina. They have slips on both the Grand River and Fairport Harbor side of the river. The Douglas and McCloud building is up for sale and appears to be sitting vacant. There are a couple of yacht clubs (Grand River and Fairport Harbor) right near the Douglas and McCloud building and maybe one more marina further up the river (Riverbend I think??), but I think the latter is mostly powerboats as the river gets pretty shallow in that area.

GRR
Good luck getting the boat back..

In 1980 I had Winfield Marine tow my18.000 lb 301 Crosby to Pittsbugh for only $500.00, but gas was probably only 60 cents a gallon back then.

I am currently laid off. Hoping to get called back to work soon, but If I am still laid -off in a few week, I could help you sail or motor the boat back to Grand River. I hope it tacks good, usaally the wind blow out of the West.
Old 06-11-2013

LanceH is on a distinguished road

This is an older post, but I'll add my recommendation of Gert Tiel as a marine surveyor as well.

I met with him yesterday in Wilson, NY, and was very impressed. He was very thorough, knowledgable, and patiently answered all of my newbie questions. .

I gather, from reading other posts, that some surveyors aren't happy with the 'surveyee' being present - Gert told me that he was happy to have me there, and proved to be humorous and willing to pass on his knowledge.

He's based out of Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario.
Old 06-11-2013

clod is on a distinguished road

If you google "Every Marine Surveyor in Ontario" you'll get a complete list with some of their qualifications