Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Gulf of Mexico
 Not a Member? 

Gulf of Mexico US Coastlines, excluding Florida

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2014

Delezynski is on a distinguished road
Golf of Mexico video cruising reports

Hi all,

Before there was such a thing as a "blog" there was only web sites.

When we started cruising full time in 04, we started posting what we called "Position Reports" on our web pages. They talked about what we were doing so our family and friends could share a bit of the adventure with us. Guenevere's Position Reports top page

We did do a few DVDs that were an in depth look, but that takes some time to watch.

We normally post the written reports with photos on our Yahoo Group page first, then on our web page when we got the chance.

This year, now that we are back at our shore side place from cruising from New Orleans La. to Pensacola Fl., we decided to add a short video report that covers each of our written reports on our Youtube page. Greg Delezynski - YouTube

We think this will give everyone a better way to see how GREAT it is out there.

SOOOOOoooooo, get the work done! Then get out here and join us at anchor!!

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2014

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Re: Golf of Mexico video cruising reports

Nice videos, but where's Tiger?
John
Old 08-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
Nice videos, but where's Tiger?
John
Sorry, went over my head???????? What are you asking?

Greg

Youtube page -
Old 08-14-2014

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Sorry, bad joke. Read golf videos and how can you have golf videos without Tiger?
But seriously, why did you not take advantage of the SE wind for a broad reach back to NO?
Did you consider Galveston as a jumping off port? What were your considerations there? I've wanted to go to Pensacola, but find the NO part too intimidating, what with the ICW traffic between Galveston an No and the problem of getting around the delta.
Thanks for your posts, they are interesting.
John
Old 08-14-2014

Re: Gulf of Mexico video cruising reports

Quote:
Sorry, bad joke. Read golf videos and how can you have golf videos without Tiger?
But seriously, why did you not take advantage of the SE wind for a broad reach back to NO?
Did you consider Galveston as a jumping off port? What were your considerations there? I've wanted to go to Pensacola, but find the NO part too intimidating, what with the ICW traffic between Galveston an No and the problem of getting around the delta.
Thanks for your posts, they are interesting.
John
GOOD ONE! Went right over me. My spelling is SOOOOO BAD.

My very FIRST sailing took place in Galveston Tx. I remember that most of the water off of Tx. was brown and not so clear.

We wanted to find nice blue water. But we could just not pass up hitting Mardi Gras!!! It was SO MUCH FUN! We were so close to it in the Seabrook marina that made our stay so much fun. Our cost to stay on the boat for the full time we were there didn't come to about one or 2 nights in a hotel during the party!!

We were also very concerned about the traffic and heard many warnings about it. But, in fact it was just not that bad! EVERY tug/ship/Coast Guard vessel we were close to was VERY polite! The tugs gave great warnings (even before we could see them) on the VHF as we were in the ICW channels and would suggest the best side to be on when they passed. We had NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!!

If you get the chance, MAKE the trip.

We hauled out from Pensacola as it was close to where our truck was being stored. We decided we moved slowly on the way east, and to head back would have been covering ground we had already been. So, more time along the way to explore and no need to make a rush back.

As I said in the June report, the official hurricane season was starting, soooooo..

Greg

Youtube page -
The Following User Says Thank You to Delezynski For This Useful Post:
ccriders (08-14-2014)
Old 08-15-2014
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I've wanted to go to Pensacola, but find the NO part too intimidating, what with the ICW traffic between Galveston an No and the problem of getting around the delta.
It really isn't hard, but does take planning. Pick up a Waterway Guide and Skipper Bob's for the area. We do the ICW from Galveston to Pensacola, on the way to the Keys and Bahamas. It's a fun trip, with much to see as the scenery changes along the way.

We just returned to Texas about 1 1/2 months ago.

Ralph
Adult pool | sailing away with R & B

Old 08-15-2014

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

Surprised, and sorry, to hear you found the bottom of Aloe Bay. It's the rendezvous for the after-party for the Dauphin Island Race, which usually has at least a hundred or more boats... here's a pic of the after

Old 08-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihullgirl View Post
Surprised, and sorry, to hear you found the bottom of Aloe Bay. It's the rendezvous for the after-party for the Dauphin Island Race, which usually has at least a hundred or more boats... here's a pic of the after
WOW, I can't believe you got that many boats in there and were able to use the proper scope for anchoring! With a hundred boats in there you should be able to walk from shore to shore without getting your feet wet.

It seemed no matter where we would anchor, it would have blocked the boats moving in and out. And we were having weather systems passing through so we were NOT about to short scope it for an overnight!

Greg

Youtube page -
Old 08-15-2014

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

A fair number of the racers go to the bulkhead on east side, there at that little rodeo ground. During the race there's latitude as far as tying up to the bulkheads around the area. You'll get asked to leave at any other time, and yes, they do watch - the police station is right there. It was quite a party for the 50th anniversary race, the whole bay was packed, and yeah you could just about walk across on the decks of the boats. I pulled up on the beach between Pelican Pub and the oilfield terminal, had my F-27 trimaran at the time.

I now have a 40' catamaran. When we go in on our trips b/forth to FL, we always anchor about in the center of the embayment. Come in past those two last marks and head somewhat south, towards the empty area (little beach) between the Pelican Pub and the old oilfield terminal bulkhead. I come in enough to get 5:1 or so (what is it, 7' in there?) and then set the hook and then back up, usually end up with the boat right about in the center of the embayment. Might be a bit noisy in the AM but the boats have always gone around me. Only one or two anyway, most of the crew boat are on the other side at Billy Goat Hole, which you can get in there too but you'll have to set your hook on the levee/hill. Literally.

I am now surprised to hear you say you anchored at Fort Morgan/Bon Secour bay. If weather came through, Mobile Bay has a fairly ugly fetch from the north and can be a rough crossing, and if I understood you, you were just behind the Ft Morgan peninsula there?

Last edited by Multihullgirl; 08-15-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihullgirl View Post
...SNIP...
I am now surprised to hear you say you anchored at Fort Morgan/Bon Secour bay. If weather came through, Mobile Bay has a fairly ugly fetch from the north and can be a rough crossing, and if I understood you, you were just behind the Ft Morgan peninsula there?
We dropped anchor at; 30 D 15.225 N 87 D 52.999 W
About 0.8 miles off shore (measured by our radar) in 6.5 Foot of water.
I make this off of Edith Hammock.
Dropped about 10 to 1 anchor rode just in case. Plenty of swing room in case the weather did pipe up.

As it turned out, it was light and we had a very quiet night, and got to sleep very, VERY, well as the holding was very good.

Given the choice, we would rather ride out a bit worse ride with plenty of scope and swing room than a bit calmer, with short scope in a confined area.

Greg

Youtube page -

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.